Strat Mods to Improve Primary Tone

Discussion in 'Fender' started by FLICKOFLASH, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Rory Gallagher, Eric clapton (probably doesn't want to get his Armani suit dirty.

Come to think of it, doesn't pretty much every les paul have a plastic cover on the back, covering the electrics? If it makes that huge diff, why don't they use metal ones or another 'tone' material?

1 person likes this.
  2. old mark

old mark Senior Member

My old wife always said that! :dude:

3. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

The Villex mid boost is a solid change in tone.

4. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

I can't honestly think of any mods to improve tone....other than to improve the plabability. If it plays well it'll sound good.

1 person likes this.
  5. 79standard

79standard Senior Member

That's a classic apples-n-oranges comparison. The back cavity of a strat contains springs that vibrate in sympathy with the strings, so deadening those springs MIGHT create tone/sustain problems, at least in theory, whereas the back of a lester has 2 cavities that house only controls, nothing that carries any appreciable amount of string energy.:hmm:

I'm not claiming that leaving a strat's cover off makes it sound better (I just do it so I can manipulate the springs while playing), but I'd say it's plausible. I'd test it, but I am too busy playing. :jam:

6. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

The logic was, I think someone mentioned it here, that it prevents the vibrations of the wooden body (they also lamented about the pickguard too) so the les paul comparison is valid. I don't see how the back plate deadens the springs and I'm sure the boffins at Fender might have noticed.

I've tried it, it does nothing.

I did try leaving a capo on the headstock, if I get it in the right place it might be doing something but that might be me wanting to hear it. It's very very slight if it does.

THE best strat mod by a country mile is a neck on switch - gives you 2 new very usable sounds (all 3 in parallel - super quack and bridge/neck a bit like a tele). Easy as pie to wire in. I would never have a strat without it now.

2 people like this.
  7. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I did most all of that, great advice, tremolos will put them out of tune. Even the best but Fender has the worst. I blocked mine the day I bought it.

Attached Files:

8. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Mine does not go out of tune and I use the crap out of it.
    It is decked so I can only lift it off the body, but unless a string breaks, it is in tune.

kevinpaul likes this.
  9. GrouchyDog

GrouchyDog Senior Member

Ditto. Care with your peg windings and a little Chap-Stick in the nut slots and you're good to go.

10. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

I like to switch places with the neck and bridge pickups.
    That way #2 gives N/B...a great, fat tone seldom heard from a Strat.
    #4 gives N/M if you want quack.
    I don't need both quack settings.

1 person likes this.
  11. KP

KP Senior Member

Or, actually learn how to play guitar and practice often.

kevinpaul, Kris Ford and RichBrew like this.
  12. KP

KP Senior Member

None of those make any difference. On a solid body guitar pickups and electronics are all that matter.

1 person likes this.
  13. 79standard

79standard Senior Member

:rolleyes: ...and in related news, the sky is blue. :rolleyes:

Seriously, your point is totally valid, but I think most people in this forum understand the importance of doing the work and improving their craft.

The player may be the most important part of the signal chain, but still just one of many things affecting tone. Even though great players can make crappy guitars sound good, these players hardly ever actually use crappy guitars.

14. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Take a pickup out of a Tele and put it in a Les Paul someday.
    Get back to us if the Les Paul sounds like the Tele the pickup came out of.

3 people like this.
  15. 79standard

79standard Senior Member

The people I know who actually build instruments for a living would probably differ with you on that point.

16. KP

KP Senior Member

Really? You mean like the ones I have built? I use different wood only for appearance. Take the little test below and get back to us.

You should try the test as well and let us know the answers.

17. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

You posted 5 compressed mp3 recordings that all sounded different. They all sounded like (no offense) a badly recorded guitar. The single coils buzzed more than the humbuckers.
    What exactly is your test here, name the similar Fender style guitars and their different pickups and wood type from an MP3 or wood doesn't matter?:laugh2::laugh2:
    Redo your test - with the same pickups, hardware, and neck on every guitar body. Post uncompressed samples, not MP3s. Get away from the computer or amp or lights so we don't hear all that infernal buzzing noise. I look forward to trying it.

If your original point was "Wood type doesnt matter if all you want to do is make guitar sound" then, ok, yes, they all sound like a guitar no matter what wood. But there ARE tonal differences, whether or not your quality of recording supports that.

1 person likes this.
  18. KP

KP Senior Member

Then identify which ones are which.

Of course there are tonal differences, they are caused by the signal chain beginning with the pickups and the caps and pots. You do know that the first Les Paul electric was made from a 4 x 4, don't you?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  19. questionman

questionman Senior Member

I am too lazy to read all this to see if a topic has been posted.

I am looking for some cool strat mods. I have the Gilmour one done on a couple. I really want a mid-boost in my main strat but do not want the whole battery thing or to sacrifice a knob for it. Is there a mid-boost that is just a simple switch from nothing to extreme?

20. X_Beyond

X_Beyond Banned

I am not too lazy to read all of this. I just did not. The first Strat I played was a 68 with a 3 position switch. There was the match stick trick to get it to stay in between back then. Thus the 5 position switch soon became the mod, and the factory installed standard.

To me a Stratocaster must remain true to spec and the tone anyone might seek is found in the signal chain.

This is just my opinion of course, I mean you can mod the guitar to dual humbuckers or stacked, or active.

I guess I am just a purist about Stratocasters and Telecasters. You want some more tones get a Jaguar.

The amp and efx are the primary tone change. IMO.