Strange Les Paul Aria pro II need new electronics ... which one

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Daniel L, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Daniel L

Daniel L Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a beautiful Aria Pro II Les Paul Guitar (LS-500 or 600 ?) with old 2003 Burstbucker pro Pickups (not sure which one ?) but the original Electronics seems to be very basic (see images)
    The original pickups was Japanese humbucker (black humbucker neck) and a Dimarzio humbucker (bridge but not original ).

Is it a good idea to change the Electronics (even if the Guitar sounds good (but i am not an expert)

What will be a good choice & not too expensive to give to this guitar Rock a new & descent Guitar Electronic ?
    I am not rich but i want a descent quality that will fit in the Aria !
    Is a pre-wired kit is preferable or not ? ... i am in search of something easy to install !
    Other things, i still do not know which model is this, because of four anomaly ( see images) :
    1) The logo Les Paul on the Headstock is not usual. Leopard logo is usually the norm !?
    2) the neck have been reinforced
    3) at the twelfth fret, the inlay has a different color
    4) 2-piece pancaked mahogany body
    Ok guy, thank you all !
    Daniel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Those look like the inch size Alpha pots. Ok and if you like the tone leave them be. Buy parts not pre wired. Pots and caps values measured are as importand to tone as the pickups. If you swap and want the same tone then measure them up.

If you want to swap remove the old harness as complete as possible and set aside.

Bourns pots, Switchcraft 3way switch, Switchcraft jack, caps in say a 50volt+ package size. You'll spend maybe $30 with careful shopping. These will be better parts than most prewired harnesses. Learn to solder on Youtube.

BKS likes this.
  3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Wow!
    That's a really nice one!

What you call reinforced neck is actually a "volute" that was found
    on the Les Paul's of the Norlin era. It is factory made.

If you like the tone as it is, leave it alone.
    If you want more flexibility in controlling tone,
    go for a pre-wired harness as you mention "easy to install".
    Some vendors here are very knowledgeable and can help you
    get the tone you want.
    Jonesy is one of them.

http://www.jonesyblues.com/

Let us know what happens!
    Again, nice guitar!
    :thumb:

4. Jewel the Sapphire

Jewel the Sapphire Senior Member

Dont change a thing if it sounds good and works well. That was made in japan by Matsumoku right before the Epiphones in the 80s. The neck volute is really the same exact profile as my Epiphone Custom.

:naughty:

5. Daniel L

Daniel L Junior Member

Thanks guys,
    About JonesyBlues.com, i am from Montreal & to buy stuff in US cost 33% more ...
    I really need a new electronic kit but where to buy your stuff here (on Amazon.ca ?)
    I do not play Heavy metal but Classic Rock ... So maybe Jimmy Page style can be good because i have no other references than him to give ;) ... (i do not like the Gibson sounds of today (not at all)
    I think that is important to say that My vocal is close to Janis Japlin when my voice is warmed up ! But normally my voice is close to Geddy Lee (little voice)
    I already mounted my musical project on KickStarter (but not activated it) ... but the guitar must be fully functional (a volume pot not work good)... before i go further !
    ***oh , my Gibson pickups are one wire***

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2019
    Jewel the Sapphire likes this.
  6. Jewel the Sapphire

If one volume pot has a crackling/signal loss when you turn it it could be easy as spraying a little DeOxit D5 into it and work it out. How long have you had the guitar now?

7. Daniel L

Daniel L Junior Member

I own this Aria since one year ... i know that guitar is 1980 model & this is the specification of this guitar when i bought it last year (summary)

Used Electric Guitar Vintage 1980 Japanese Aria Pro II Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst 6-String
    The guitar is in great shape and a beautiful example of Japanese craftmanship.
    Approximately 10 pounds.
    Open-book headstock shape. Mother of pearl Aria Pro II logo.
    A silk-screened "Les Paul" logo was added. True to spec "Standard" truss-rod cover and truss-rod adjustment.
    Superbly cut nut.
    Rosewood fretboard and frets in great shape.
    Trapezoid inlays are aged and reminiscent of the Les Paul "1960 Classic" series.
    Set neck design.
    Aged jackplate, pickup mounts, pickguard, toggle-switch & cap, neck & body-binding .
    Tune-o-matic Nashville-style bridge and stop tailpiece.
    Vintage style knobs and 0-position washers added.
    One original Japanese humbucker (neck) and a Dimarzio humbucker (bridge).
    Original wiring and pots.
    Cherry Sunburst 3-piece maple top is bookmatched in a circular pattern to give the illusion of 1-piece.
    2-piece pancaked mahogany body.
    Original backplates were cream but painted "aged black". 2 minor holes filled in where previous owner placed straplocks.
    Slight buckle-rash but in really good shape.
    3-piece maple neck in great shape and sports a veloute, just like the Norlin-era "Les Paul" model from the same year.
    Grover tuners have replaced the old Kluson-style tuners.
    Not to worry, the old holes have been nicely filled in.
    Ink stamped serial number confirms the year(1980-please see photo).
    Very versatile sound thanks to higher output pickups.
    Anything from twangy rockabilly to high powered distorted rock sounds.
    Action is low and very comfortable.
    Amazingly I was able to play great sounding slide parts with the right slide.
    If it had the neck-binding nibs on the fret ends it would be a near-perfect clone.
    Just a fantastic vintage guitar at a fraction of the price of a "Les Paul".

8. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Steve's Music Store should have all you need.
    Call them in advance.

9. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

To get an idea if it is a higher end Aria Pro II, simply knock (like on a door) the portion of the body beneath the tailpiece, cause if it’s a true solid top you will not get a hollow sound. Anything that weighs 9.5lbs+ I’m sure will end up being a solid top.

Unless its been refretted, the higher end Aria Pro ii’s frequently had fret edge binding.

Nice looking guitar either way!

10. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

If you choose to do any soldering work yourself be sure to get a 30watt or greater soldering iron.

I hear good things about Deoxit. Haven’t tried it yet. I have a can of Control Cleaner Lubricant that I bought from Radio Shack before they went out of business. Saved several pots and 3-way switches with that!

3-way toggles are notorious trouble spots on older guitars. Intermittent static or even one of the pickups dropping out is a killer when playing. Pick up a Switcraft to keep in case needed. You need to measure the threaded shaft of the old one to determine what size to buy.

I almost always by default choose to replace the output jack on any older guitar I buy. For a part that’s $5 or less, why not change it out for a new swithcraft?

If the pickups sound great as is just leave the stock volume and tones alone for now.

11. Daniel L

Daniel L Junior Member

Yes, She has a Plain Top & yes she's heavy 10 pounds for sure... Yes there is a loud hollow sound that sound good to me, i like that ,,,this is the first thing that i noticed ! No refretting it's original !
    I will post more images ...

12. Daniel L

Daniel L Junior Member

Thanks for the advice !
    Man there is a lot of things to do , but i have to, to make this guitar sounds great ! ***I note every advice***

13. Jewel the Sapphire

It seems like you want to purchase a pre wired harness to drop in with clear instruction to complete the job. The mention of Jimmy Page suggests you would like a wiring harness capable of more tonal options but the pickups in the guitar will not be compatible.

I recommend any 50s wiring harness with a switchcraft 3way toggle and jack (potentiometer values 500k and capacitors .022uf, any kind)

If you replace the pickups for a Jimmy Page harness and dont play any modern high gain I recommend to get two 57 classic pickups, or if you sometimes use modern high gain on the bridge pickup you could put the 57 classic + there so it wont squeal and feedback (gibson pickups $$$)

14. Daniel L

Daniel L Junior Member

Good advice, i already have Gibson 57 Classic + on my Agile AL2500 (2005) (sounds so good) ... yes this is the words that i searhed ***squeal and feedback*** i do not like powerful pickups !
    Here : https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=eUNFQ2UwWFhxaFYtTE1vX3k0amZ0UVhKUlNpOHln

15. Jewel the Sapphire

Basically the problem is the current pickups in the Aria are unpotted and going microphonic. So the wiring harness is not what you need, rather you need two quality potted pickups.

The 57 classic + is amazing in both neck or bridge position. Also it could be the pickup covers causing the squealing, if you remove them it might improve or fix the issue.

If you want to replace the wiring harness after sorting out the pickups I suggest you first learn about 50s wiring and complete that mod on the harness already installed. Might be for the best!

16. Daniel L

Daniel L Junior Member

Right now 2 new Gibson pickup have been installed on the Aria ... 2003 pickups from a Les Paul Studio ... i think that they are Burstbuckers pro ???

17. Daniel L

Daniel L Junior Member

Do you mean ;
    One classic + on the neck
    &
    One classic + on the bridge ???
    Same pickup model ?

18. Jewel the Sapphire

You can do that yes ofcourse. Im confused if the pickups are from a 2003 studio because those would be the 490R and 498T set, which are wax potted to eliminate squeal and reduce feedback...

Does the agile have less of a problem with feedback and squealing when you check them one after the other?

19. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporter

I would also check out toneman, you can get a prewired with switch and jack for not a lot of cash.

Daniel L likes this.
  20. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Those are pretty good guitars. It's not a Les Paul.