Strange Issue With Les Paul

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by BenjaminW, Nov 22, 2017.

1. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Senior Member

Today after I fixed my volume knob on my 2014 Slash AFD II, I plugged it in and attempted to play it. For some reason even though all my volume knobs were up on both my guitar, effects, and amp, it wouldn't make any sound. What I did was switched pickups to see if I could get any sound out through them by putting my watch next to both pickups to see if I could hear the ticking noise from it which I usually can, but I didn't. My biggest concern is that the pickups somehow died. To see if anything was loose or torn apart in the back, I looked there and everything looked fine. Have any of you ever run into something like this before?

2. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I have zero knowledge about wiring or fixing guitars but obviously it is a wiring issue. You messed up with wiring and now the guitar is dead.. no other option !

I would re-solder whatever I messed with and see. I "think" it is a simple issue at the end !

BenjaminW likes this.
  3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

You can't kill pickups, so don't worry about that. There are many little things you might have done that would break your circuit. Sometimes people wreck a pot when jamming the knob onto the post. The innards can collapse. Or, in working on the pot, even externally, it's not hard to shake a wire loose. Les Paul wiring is really simple, so you can find a diagram or pic of your guitar's wiring online and eyeball your own situation to see if you can spot the fault. Many of us do this all the time. If you can't find anything, a decent repair person should be able to do so, no sweat. It should be a minimally costly fix. Sorry for the hassle. Wiring issues are annoying!

BenjaminW likes this.
  4. pbekkerh

pbekkerh Senior Member

1. The pickups generate a signal when a metallic(steel) object, like the strings are moving over the magnet. So you can not hear a sound through the PUs
    2. If you have an older mechanical watch, you do not want to put it near a magnet. If there are any steel parts in it, they will become magnetised and stick to each other, so the watch is ruined.

As "moreless" said: When faultfinding, go backwards through your modifications and check or even return everything back to before the fault, then change ONE thing at a time and check between every change.

In some cases, an old potmeter can open when turned to any extremes, try backing them all about 10%

BenjaminW likes this.
  5. kiko

kiko Senior Member

You can hear the ticking of your watch through your pickup?

Check your solder points and use a tester to check your circuits. It's too early to tell that the pickups died. Might just be a simple circuit continuity issue. Good luck!

BenjaminW likes this.
  6. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Senior Member

I think what I did was I was re-tightening the volume screw and I might have done it too tight. When I looked in the back I noticed the pot moving which was odd but my tone pot stood perfectly still.

7. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Senior Member

I noticed it a while back but it doesn't really do any harm from what I know to the pickups.

8. pbekkerh

pbekkerh Senior Member

PLEASE!, people are asking because, THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE as I wrote in my earlier mail.

BenjaminW likes this.
  9. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Senior Member

10. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Senior Member

These photographs seem to have a solution, especially the volume pot photo.
    13A15EE6-F2B9-483B-BAC2-3D875186EB9A.jpeg
    DFBF19DC-015E-46D4-A051-486A07875965.jpeg

11. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Yes you can..

Thumpalumpacus and BenjaminW like this.
  12. Fuelish

Fuelish Senior Member

I don't get the watch thing....wouldn't one just play the guitar to see if the pups are working? Am I missing something ???!!!???

13. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

I just usually tap on the pickup with a screwdriver to see if it produces sound.(if the guitar hasn't been restrung yet)

[​IMG]

14. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Senior Member

I'll fill you in on the watch thing. I keep a watch on when I play (I play right handed but I'm left handed) and the pickup will catch onto the sound of my watch ticking the seconds. If you need further information if this is leaving you confused, feel free to read this.
    https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1186549

15. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

THIS.

If you don't hear anything then check all the connections.
    It's an Epi so start by checking the switch and and jack.

nitrodave08 likes this.
  16. nitrodave08

nitrodave08 Senior Member

2X on this, start with the volume down, it is a nasty pop. Strung or unstrung don't matter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    BenjaminW likes this.
  17. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Senior Member

Yesterday my dad and I made an attempt to re-solder the short cable which for most of the process, was successful but since the space of where the wire was cut from the volume pot, the soldering turned out "amateur" if you would call it that. Next step is to take it to Guitar Center and see what they can do.

18. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Senior Member

Made another attempt to re-solder the loose wire, turned out to be a success and my guitar is working again!

paruwi likes this.
  19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Is there another tech you can use besides GC?

20. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Why ? He doesn't need one anymore

BenjaminW likes this.