Storage Wars Find!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Nicky, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

Bought an abandoned storage unit today. This was in there.

It fires up, and all channels receive power input. Will connect a mic to each of the 24 preamps tomorrow (if stupid family stuff doesn't get in the way :rolleyes:).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Not sure what I'm going to do with it, even if it works. I'd have to rig up some kind of interface to get the Tascam channels into my DAW. I could send 8 channels into my Audient ASP380 via patch bay, bypassing the Audient's preamps and into a laptop via Audient iD22 interface. However, since Audient preamps are the cats meow, why do that? Possibly send 8 groups out of the Tascam if I need more inputs for drums/keys.

Guess I could use it as a summing mixer, as well.

Maybe sell it? :fingersx:

Alligatorbling likes this.
  2. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Who cares, it looks cool. Use it as table art. Cool find.

3. Nicky

It's just so big, though! :dunno:

These things were made to send tracks to a multi-track tape recorder, then a 2 channel stereo signal to the master tape machine. I could get a fine Studer and really go old school!:dude:

[​IMG]
    Studer A807, ca. 1986

4. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

Wow, Cool Nicky!!

5. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

Older, but pretty solid board back in the day. Did some monster mixes on a 3700 (if I recall, basically the same but with quasi-automation).

Need some Pledge for electronics.... ;-)

6. Nicky

From what I've read, these were decent mixing boards, but not for high end studio work. The preamps were considered "OK". Apparently, they were very popular for routing and monitoring, but not tracking so much. The inputs are unbalanced, unless you did an upgrade. Not sure about this unit. Unfortunately, most I/Os operate at -10, as they were designed for use with with the TSR and MSR tape machines of the day. The main mix XLR outs are balanced at +4, but the jacks are unbalanced at -10.

These beasts cost $10,000 new, and were packed with features. Fun toy, I reckon. I'll clean it up, and see what happens.

Can anyone tell me how I can determine if the group outputs and tape returns were converted to +4bB balanced? There was an upgrade kit available back then.

7. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Nice!