Stop Bar Post size/thread differences

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Pushead, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Pushead

Pushead Senior Member

Would any of you fine gentlemen (or ladies, who knows?) know anything about the inserts and/or any differences in the threads on the posts for a stop bar?

I'm replacing the ultra worn cosmo black hardware on an ESP Eclipse. I have a TOM, Stop Bar set which I removed from an old and discarded project. I had no problem replacing the bridge. But I took off the stop bar (marked Gotoh) to replace with the plain black Gotoh, and I can't get the posts to thread. There's a different thread pitch.

I pulled the stock inserts to put in the ones from the black bridge, but the stock insert is shorter and wider. I mic'd the replacement I have at 11.2mm this morning, but haven't yet mic'd the stock one.

Have any of you run into something like this? Do you have an idea of the right brand to buy as a replacement?

Thanks for any advice you can share.

[​IMG]

2. Pushead

Pushead Senior Member

Ah ha! Some brands (like Gibson) are using SAE sizes for their inserts and posts. I'll have to measure when I get home, but another common size is 1/2" (13mm) with a 5/16" 24 post.

Seems strange that ESP would use that, but perhaps it's a simple answer to my issue.

3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Asian based guitars will use metric sizes. The USA based guitars use imperial.

Like all things you need to measure to get the right replacement.

4. Pushead

Pushead Senior Member

That's the problem, it's a Japanese made guitar that uses SAE sizes.

5. SparkyJones

SparkyJones Senior Member

Depends. Is it an ESP LTD or a standard ESP? If it's not an LTD and uses metric I'd be kind of shocked.

6. Pushead

Pushead Senior Member

Yes, it's an ESP standard and used SAE.