Stolen valor jerk from Alberta

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by mtgguitar, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:16 PM.

1. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

During my time it was reputed that there were aproximately 500 Seals working in Vietnam. So far, I've met all 2400 of them.

Kris Ford, 2manyGuitars, ehb and 11 others like this.
  2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

The fact that he'd put fruit salad on a MARPAT tells me all I need to know.

3. Thumpalumpacus

I believe it's called scamitis.

4. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

Marines are not allowed to wear their utilities off base in public except in emergency situations. That's the first tip off.

5. Thumpalumpacus

I've got a customer at work who came in the first I met him wearing an Air Force veteran's cap, so I asked him "what unit/base" etc.

He was happy to tell me it was his late father's cap and wore it in his dad's honor. I've got no problem with that. Him, and you, are keeping memories alive, and that's totally respectable.

Assholes like the one in the OP, on the other hand ... I cannot muster the contempt I feel for them.

One time in Ventura, walking down the street, I ran across a homeless guy with a sign reading "disabled Vietnam vet, anything helps, God bless." So I ask him his unit ... he draws a blank.

How the hell do you ever forget a unit you've served with in combat? Needless to say, the only thing he got from me was a scowl.

Kris Ford, fleahead and rabidhamster like this.
  6. Thumpalumpacus

I didn't know that. USAF are allowed to for stops to and from duty (you can stop and grab a bite at Jack in the Box, but can't buy beer or liquor in uniform, etc).

mtgguitar likes this.
  7. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

ErictheRed and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  8. Bigfoot410

Bigfoot410 Premium Member

9. fett

fett Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I had the great privilege to be in the right time and place to talk to WWII vets. Where? Standing around for thrift stores to open. I like to chat. Go figure. Anyway, I got to talking about WWII. Three older guys perked up and started talking about their experiences. It was idle chat on my part. It was a flood of memories on their part. They had a neutral person to talk to. The stories were mind blowing. One guy and me were on the hunt for vintage golf clubs. That's a story. That guy turned into a golfing buddy. He got me on courses that were only open to Vets. He also talked about his personal experience. He was confident enough to show me what was in his foot locker. He said he was OS. He was.

archey likes this.
  10. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Yes there are. The dashes might be in the wrong spot, but my "service number" was my SSN.

Back then, zero thought was given to protecting that number, it was on the outside of every piece of mail I was sent.

SteveGangi likes this.
  11. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

The regulations on this have been changing back and forth over the last 15-20 years, and differ per service. Back when I was in the Navy, dungarees could only be worn if in a vehicle going to or from base, and no stops were allowed (not even for gas). If you needed to pick up a gallon of milk, you'd better change into civvies first. (Or in theory, uniform of the day, but almost nobody did that).

The other services generally weren't dissimilar before 9/11; I was honestly shocked the first time in an airport I saw some Air Force guys wearing cammies. In public.

Go further back, of course, and sailors weren't allowed off base wearing anything other than dress blue/white crackerjacks.

Kris Ford likes this.
  12. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Sometimes you have to chalk things up to "he's just batshit crazy" and move on...

Not making light of it right in front of those of you that served, and you have my mondo respect, but they're not worth working yourself into a frenzy over.

You cannot reason with crazy and there is no common moral foundation for reasoning to even have a chance...

They see no wrong in their actions. Useless to ask if they feel guilty. They don't. They're batshit crazy.

They must realize they are batshit before there is even a glimmer of hope they will really consider anything you say.....

jdto, Rocco Crocco and cmh6122 like this.
  13. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Same here. We even carved or engraved it into our personal stuff. I still have my old Vise Grips with the SSN prominently engraved into the handle.

Who likes this.
  14. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

15. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

16. Malikon

Malikon Skree-ONK! V.I.P. Member

"Hundren"

I buy dat fo a dolla

jdto likes this.
  17. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

fiddy...you know, half a hundren

Malikon, jdto and Who like this.
  18. Roberteaux

Roberteaux GOOMPH! V.I.P. Member

For every individual who appears in public in some mocked-up uniform and with a BS story to go with it, there's gotta be at least 20 guys out there who provide others with a less grandiose, but still BS, misrepresentation of what their service duties consisted of, what unit they were assigned to, and so forth. They don't go so far as the guy in the OP went when it comes to all this, but they're peddling baloney on a wholesale basis anyway.

One time, while I was serving as a patrolman for our county's sheriff's department, I had cause to question a individual whom I believed was involved in a grand theft incident. While interviewing this guy, he advised me that he was a "Special Forces Ranger" in Vietnam. I asked him to clarify that statement, and learned that he wasn't aware that Special Forces was a unit in and of itself, or that there are Ranger Battalions that are separate units in and of themselves-- or that there are guys who go to Ranger school and are qualified to wear a Ranger tab, but who aren't serving with any of the Special Forces Groups or any of the Ranger Battalions.

Of course, I didn't fill him in on this, but instead feigned ignorance and asked him to explain to me what a "Special Forces Ranger" was. He rambled away and I realized that he'd conflated all these unit designations and mission types as being one in the same, which indicated that he hadn't served with any of them-- or he'd know better.

Later in that same interview, he also claimed to have been assigned to US Army CID, and said that he was on the French end of the famous French Connection case.

Yikes. :facepalm:

Now, this guy was a county employee, and so all I had to do was check with personnel to have a look at his jacket. I found his DD-214, looked at his MOS, and later contacted a military source who advised me that while this dude was a US Army veteran, he had actually served as a records clerk and was assigned to the headquarters of a division that was never deployed to Vietnam. So his military record indicated that he had never been to Vietnam, never had a combat arms MOS, never attended Special Forces school or Ranger school, never was assigned to CID-- and so forth.

Since then, I've met a lot of guys who claimed to be this, that, or the other thing, who almost certainly were not. They're usually far more transparent than they believe themselves to be.

My favorite was the guy who noticed an airborne tattoo on one of my shoulders, and who went on to claim that he'd served in the same division in Iraq. But there was a lot of flakiness to what he was saying to me-- lots of bits that didn't fit-- and I began to realize that he was BS'ing me also. The real clincher was when he complained about disliking having to pack his own parachute.

What a laugh. US paratroopers haven't packed their own parachutes since before the beginning of World War II... there are riggers who do that-- and only that-- but this dude was claiming to have been an airborne infantry rifleman and not a rigger.

I didn't confront him or let him know I was aware that he was lying to me. Instead, I just stuffed that into a sort of mental file I keep on others who do things like that. Otherwise, I just let it go. No point in being confrontational-- and information of this type, when held in reserve, is something you can always clobber somebody with later if necessary. :thumb:

I generally find such persons to be pathetic, though others take greater umbrage than I do-- and though I don't generally go there myself, I do understand why they would.

--R

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 6:17 AM
    SteveGangi, cmh6122, LtDave32 and 2 others like this.
  19. <gator>

<gator> Premium Member

It’s really sad and pathetic - I feel sorry for people that feel they need to lie like this - I don’t feel it takes anything away from real vets, in my eyes at least. Of course, never having served I’m not really qualified to make that assertion.

20. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

In '09 I accompanied my Father as a volunteer on an Honor Flight Chicago. It rained on and off all day in D.C. which sucked for those mobile enough or in wheelchairs to get out and roam (our oldest was 92). It was amazing. These tough men and women made it through a 16 hour day, and as we came back to Midway airport to a jaw-dropping welcome home (I'm sure most of you have seen what these are like - if not look them up), the emotions came up in all of us. My father, as I pushed his wheelchair down the line was so moved.... afterwards he said he knew what a rockstar felt like. I replied that he and every person were the true stars.... I can't even type this without emotions... and to think there are assholes who defile those in uniform make me wish I could be around one of those scum....