Still one row is more convenient!

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Mockbel, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Hi guys

I considered when i was getting my first pedalboard that 2 rows is ideal for me so i make one row for effects before amp and the other row for effects in the loop.. so i came up with it like that...

20170930_095059.jpg

The upper row is really less convenient to access.. and as i "still" have plenty of space on the lower row, i reorganized the pedals to be like that

20171005_084617.jpg

For me it is more convenient

Just wanted to share my experience :D

Rich, Guitaraxe and northernguitarguy like this.
  2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

'Paging Dr. loop-Strip!' Best thing I ever did to my pedalboard.
    [​IMG]

Rich and Guitaraxe like this.
  3. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

What I did for my two row board to make life easier was put the pedals that either I use throughout entire songs (treble booster, overdrive) or use infrequently and my tuner on the back row. The pedals in the front row are ones I have to deal with in the middle of songs. My patch cables may not be as ideally short as they could be, but it's a fair tradeoff for the convenience and ease of use.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  4. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Cool solution... of course a loop would kill the issue as NGG mentioned but if i dont want to spend on this matter, organization of pedals is the ideal selution... organization should be based on usage not effect chain order !

Rich and northernguitarguy like this.
  5. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Well sure it makes sense to make that change but in time ( with many more pedals lol) you will have to change it around again.
    All the pedals thru the FX loop on my board are on all the time and therefore they are in the upper tier without hindrance.
    BP

6. BanditPanda

NG...In a previous thread with your looper there was something I found was a draw back.
    If I remember correctly it was the fact that when you had 2 pedals looped they could not be used individually. Right?
    So you've got 13 pedals on your board and 7 loops. What have you got looped and what not.?
    BP
    Edit....well I guess I can see that just by looking at the board no?
    The only combo I can see is your Chorus/Flanger.
    Everything else seems to be one stomp per pedal which would mean you bought the looper to save yourself only one stomp which I'm thinking would not be enuff motivation for you to spend the cash.
    Please explain further.
    Edit : ok I now see Delay /Daydream combo.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    northernguitarguy likes this.
  7. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

The main point of a loop strip is to put the switches out front in a nice line. Regardless of how many pedals you have in each loop you wont have to reach over other pedals with your foot. Think of him trying to activate his ehx pulsar without adjusting the knobs on his day dream, its hard to do while performing live. The other big advatage of a loop strip is when a pedal is not engaged it is completely removed from your signal path, this is a big help for older pedals that cause some noise in your signal path even when they aret in use.
    The loop strip northern has is a loop master and i a basic looper, there are programable loopers that you can save presets to turn on and off multiple pedals at once. Some of the fancier ones even let you change where the pedal is in the signal path, as in a boost before or after the dirt without physically changing the wiring. Downside is these fancy loopers will set you back several hundred dollars or more, a loop master with 10 loops, a tuner out and a master bypass will run you a couple hundred dollars.

8. BanditPanda

Hey thanks for that White.
    Yes ok there is a modicum of convenience not having to step over a pedal.
    In example of the DayDream/Pulsar they are looped together and if NG wanted to use the Pulsar without the Daydream he cannot. No choice.
    Knob adjustments live is not an option. You would preset your pedals with or without the looper.
    Anyway I don't want to go on a fault finding mission! lol
    Fact is Northern Guy needs a BIGGER BOARD !! LMAO
    Time based effects ( for which he has A LOT ) should be preset, in the top row and run thru his effects loop ( hopefully his amp has one )
    Every other pedal which he will be engaging will be on the bottom tier thus requiring no step overs.
    Hope you're enjoying this NG.!
    BP

9. northernguitarguy

I can easily use one pedal if it's looped together with another. I just turn off the pedal I don't want to use. That's one of the reasons I put the Daydream and Delay on the same loop; they just sound awful together, so I only use one at a time. Same for the Chorus and Flanger. On the first channel, I have my auto-wah, acoustic sim and tuner, but mostly only use the channel for the tuner. But, if I want to kick in the acoustic sim (like I do when we cover Band On The Run), I will setup the channel so the sim is on and the tuner off.
    But the best feature is (as mentioned by WhiteEpiLP) being able to only have the pedals you want in your path. My board is ridiculous, and I believe too many buffers ruins the toanz. The loop-strip is a nice cheap way around this. One of the best $100 I've ever spent on gear. I can only imagine the programmable ones must be even better.

10. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

I didnt mean knob adjustment in a live situation. Im refering to accidentally adjusting a knob with your heel on the front row while you press the switch with your toe on the back row.
    Alot of people go forever without a pedal switcher and are fine, I dont have one (yet). My board is 32" × 18" so pretty large and I'll admit its way too heavy, travel with it sucks. I dont gig but i do alot of playing not at home cause living in a condo sucks for being loud. At least once a month me and several of my musically inclined buddies rent a room at the rehearsal factory for like a 6 hour block and just have at 'er. Carrying my board sucks balls, that plus a couple guitars os alot of shleping so i know why Northern stays with a small cramped board.
    My next 3 purchases are a strymon timeline, strymon bigsky/empress reverb (still deciding) and a loop master 8 loop with master bypass and tuner out.

11. northernguitarguy

I'm doing vox/rhythm guitar in our cover band. If I need to 'hit it' mid-verse, that front line is a godsend.

WhiteEpiLP likes this.
  12. Rich

I hear that. My board is heavier than both my amp head and 2x12 speaker cab. The Anvil style case doesn't help any, but I'd rather have the protection.

WhiteEpiLP and northernguitarguy like this.
  13. Rich

One of the things I like about my EVH flanger is that all you need to do is keep that "EVH" button pushed in and it sounds awesome. :laugh2:

Hector Arcadius and WhiteEpiLP like this.
  14. BanditPanda

"that front line is a godsend" ok NG of course it is with the undersized board which doesn't allow you set up your pedals correctly because of lack of space.
    Seriously that pedal set up you've got going on there is terrible. You would admit that wouldn't you?
    In any event just chalk it up to my being stupid 'cause I am not seeing what advantage that looper is bringing you or how it could help me.
    If you have a couple of minutes to spare would you mind taking a look at my bottom row of pedals and advise me how that looper would help me.? Just the bottom row.
    B.P.

Attached Files:

15. BanditPanda

NG...off topic...what about that acoustic sim by Joyo.?
    What do you think of it? Pros & cons?
    B.P.
    Edit: Just checked it out on a demo on You Tube. Pedal is amazing. Best one I've ever heard !!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  16. northernguitarguy

I love my pedal setup. It works perfectly for me. And if I have no channels engaged on the loop-strip, I'm true-bypass right to my Radial Headbone. I only have the pedals in the chain that I want and they definitely sound better to me that way.
    True to what you said, I could just have a front line of pedals, but then I couldn't hit that second tier in the middle of singing and playing. You might be more dextrous than me.
    I can also arrange them as I like, so they have a better fit on the smaller board. For example, my last configuration had a best fit with the 'LMP' pedal (fuzz/distortion) on the top tier. That's the pedal I hit while singing more than any other. :cool2:
    If you like your board, all the power to you. Looks good. I'd still prefer to break up the chain for true-bypass playing and fewer connections, YMMV.

Rich and WhiteEpiLP like this.
  17. northernguitarguy

The Joyo Acoustic Sim was a happy accident that I never would have bought otherwise. It was shipped from China by mistake when I ordered the Auto-Wah. Vendor was at a loss if I shipped back (at their expense), so they offered it for $30US. It's turned out to be an excellent pedal for band use. Though it's somewhat noisy when playing alone, it plays in a mix quite nicely. Lets the band do some stuff a little closer to the recording, I don't have to haul out a third guitar to gigs.

Tiny sample on the vid at 0:50, bassist on vox, that's my rest song.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Rich, BanditPanda and WhiteEpiLP like this.
  18. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

By your board i agree you dont necessarily need a loop strip other then to take everything out of the signal path for a better then "true bypass" signal. Where loop strips come in handy in my mind is when you have large pedals mixed in with small ones and pedals of differing heights. When just playing at home and some jam settings its easy enough to do just what you have done. But in a band setting especially when singing while playing (which in trying to do but kinda horrible at lol) a central row of switches is a god send. If money were no issue I'd have a gig rig g2 already, but a loop master will have to do.

19. BanditPanda

Yeah....gig rig....unfortunately for me....not in this lifetime !! lol
    Thanks guys.
    BP

20. BanditPanda

NG no doubt about it the Wooden really fits the bill.!
    Impressive pedal and for the money a no brainer.
    B.P.