still in awe over my Kemper

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by lowmach, Jan 27, 2018.

1. lowmach

lowmach Senior Member

It's almost been a year with my Kemper and I'm still so pleased with the unit. Here is a quick review of the unit after many hours of use.

Most of us want to know how it compares to a real amp right… Every 3 months or so, I'll plug in my JTM45 clone built by our own sct13 or my vintage 1965 DR using my Suhr reactive load > logidy IR player > FRFR studio monitors with subwoofer. The tube amps with the RL and IRs sound freaking fantastic and I'm not saying the Kemper sounds better or worse. I then plug back into my Kemper and I'm amazed each time how well it compares with tone and feel. The real amps handle boost like pedals whereas the Kemper doesn't so much, so you have to be uber careful with levels if you place pedals in front of the Kemper. I have over 1000 profiles to choose from, so dirt/od pedals aren't needed imho. Now not all profiles sound great to me, but I've hit the limit of ones I can favorite. LOL. One thing I've found is that I have slimmed it down to about a handful of favorites that I use.

TAF two rock classic reverb - amazing IMHO - i use multiple ones with varying levels of gain - likes pedals - I use these profiles 75% of the time and specifically one that is on the verge of breakup - even profiles with some gain allow me to volume down my guitar with great results - the one on verge of breakup can play great cleans with my just right hand pressure

MBRITT divided by 13 - incredible on the verge of breakup tone

MBRITT 64 deluxe reverb - great cleans - another great on the verge of breakup and compares so well to my own DR - likes pedals

MBRITT plexi + klon - down right honky marshall tone and can get jimi like tones when decreasing volume on my strat

TAF JTM45 - great clean or edge of breakup profiles - sounds so close to my own jtm45 - likes pedals

TopJimi 1974 4 hole SuperLead - great clean or dirty marshall goodness - again sounds an awful like my own 70's 4 hole superlead

ToneJunkie - currently auditioning some of their work and found some very good sounding profiles - the vibe rolex is fantastic and they have an assortment of killer recorded in the amps profile

I had planned to use the Suhr reactive load DI out to profile my amps, but found some great professional profiles and haven't felt the need to even attempt it. I just play man. I'm playing more now than ever. Oh and I can record into garageband with so little effort. I started messing with recording over backing tracks and recorded progression loops I've made. My goal for 2018 is to write and record a new track each month.

One thing I will say is that I prefer my own IR loader with the "Pure Cab" option turned off. The Kemper cab maker will convert my IRs, but they lose a little something in the xfer IMHO. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, Some users suggest using IRs with Kemper profiles makes them inferior and sterile, but my ears know what they like and I'm going to give it to them. The default profiles sound fine, but i prefer the IRs 8 out of 10 times when compared in my small music room. I can adjust the profile cabs to taste with not too much effort, but they seem lo-fi in comparison with my rig. The proverbial blanket so to speak.

Every couple weeks I do get a chance to move some air at my buddies house where volume is encouraged. We've been known to get the superlead ramped up pretty good. But in my little world with a wife and two grade school aged kids, the Kemper is perfect.

I'll stop rambling now, but I'm just so freaking happy and wanted to share! Our ambassador Frankv can say "I told you so" and it's very appropriate! I've also spent time with Line6's helix and its a bad ass tool as well. If I played bar gigs that would be my rig. I look forward to trying a Fractal modeler one day.

Anyone else still in awe with their modelers? Please do share!

Cheers,
    Low

SloeGin, SaltFox, Stuff and 6 others like this.
  2. StingyCH

StingyCH The Bearded guy from Heidi land..

Lol I wrote almost the same thing just minutes before you :lol: ..

What can I add: I understand the feeling, this thing is a tone monster, it changes the way you interact with your guitars, your tone, and you get inspired to explore new territories..

cybermgk and lowmach like this.
  3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

Not to mention the countless EXTRA hours you spend practicing.

lowmach, mdubya and StingyCH like this.
  4. StingyCH

StingyCH The Bearded guy from Heidi land..

Exactly, plus, having access to so many (very good) sounds it makes you more versatile as a guitarist, you explore and you learn new things, styles and techniques. I love it so much, it’s the best thing in my arsenal :)

lowmach likes this.
  5. frankv

Yeah man.. I know these things first hand. What really amazes me is there is STILL so much resistance to the whole "modeling" aspect of amplification. Of course its way better then it was 2 years ago when i started talking about it.

lowmach and StingyCH like this.
  6. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Loving my kemper as well...the MBritt ODS profiles are ringin my bell as of late.

lowmach and StingyCH like this.
  7. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

I have had my powered head and foot controller for 3 months now and I am more convinced than ever that is the best available rig for my gigs.

lowmach, StingyCH and frankv like this.
  8. lowmach

lowmach Senior Member

Exactly! Very well said my man.

StingyCH likes this.
  9. lowmach

lowmach Senior Member

Ditto!!!!

StingyCH likes this.
  10. lowmach

lowmach Senior Member

StingyCH likes this.
  11. lowmach

lowmach Senior Member

Thanks man, I'll give the ODS profiles a try.

matthew bear likes this.
  12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

In many ways, I am more in awe and feel an even greater sense of the unscratched possibilities with my AX8.

I updated my AX8 thread/blog with a new post after reading your OP.

One thing, I have never felt the need to purchase any 3rd party models or IR's for the AX8. The stock models and IR's blow my socks off.

I had two epic looper jams yesterday. One with the ES LP for over an hour, and the second with the Firebird for another hour. I was bouncing between the Deluxe Reverb, from sweet clean beautiful tones to lightly fuzzed vintage 60's tones, and the Brit 800 JCM 800 2204. The 800 has more heat than I usually go for, but it is so nice to have it sitting right there anytime I want it. With volume pot manipulation and a boost, the tone and drive possibilities on that model alone are huge.

frankv and lowmach like this.
  13. frankv

It's all music to my ears... :)

lowmach and mdubya like this.
  14. lowmach

lowmach Senior Member

Epic looper jams!!! Yeah man, thats the ultimate compliment to the rig right there. Great post. I can't wait to try a AX8!

frankv and mdubya like this.
  15. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Seriously, I was playing the Deluxe Reverb, clean, with the ES LP yesterday and thinking, "fuhhhhh.....!!!!! how good does that sound!!" :shock: No excuses, no apologies, no wishes for anything that would make it better or more perfect. That tone, right then, right there, was as good as I could ever hope for.

matthew bear and lowmach like this.
  16. frankv

It has taken me literally months and months and months to convince some of you what I was experiencing with Fractal. When I say it is all music to my ears. I mean the music I hear when my online friends are happy..

I know how good it is and I know how long it makes you practice.. I also know that there is no need to purchase anything else.. Oh well, except when the next version comes out. I will be on that waiting list for sure.

The arguments I endured by folks that really had no clue what they were arguing over...... was epic.

What also drives me nuts is reading some of the threads in the main amp room. It makes me nuts because the answers to some of the posts there can not be answered there. Because tube amps are not the answer for 99% of the guys on this forum. Home players and players looking for tone at low volume can not be found in that arena. At least it can't when best tool for a job is a consideration.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    lowmach and mdubya like this.
  17. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

When the rhythm track and the lead tone blend in a mix...and you know it is just doing very special things...it is so good, so satisfying! :jam:

lowmach likes this.
  18. lowmach

lowmach Senior Member

Words of wisdom right there. Your posts made me take notice and now your just preaching to the choir.

Your makes you practice comment reminds of a recent interview with Matt Schofield on That Pedal Show where he said something like he played guitar more than ever before in his life after getting an AX8. Said he was just playing through headphones at his home. Thats a heck of an endorsement right there. Especially from a guy who says he never plays plugged in without a band.

frankv and mdubya like this.
  19. frankv

Well my friend... I appreciate that post. Now go play the new track in the Play That Track thread.. :)

20. Lolly

Lolly Senior Member

I'm rocking my Kemper since 2013 and couldn't be happier.

Have fun with yours!