StewMac Golden Age Parson Street 'buckers - hot enough for classic rock?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Clyngedal, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Clyngedal

Clyngedal Senior Member

Hi!

I discovered Stew Mac's Golden Age Parson Street humbuckers, and I was wondering if any of you guys have tried them?

They seem to be vintage PAF-style pickups, unpotted etc. Appears to be quite similar to Burstbuckers actually, constructionwise.

What I'm wondering is if they have enough output for that classic rock crunch?
    Any opinions greatly appreciated :thumb:

2. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

They seem to be good quality pickups.

3. Clyngedal

Clyngedal Senior Member

Yeah, no doubt about it, from all the reviews on the StewMac-site and reviews elsewhere. But I need to know if these are hot enough....

4. jeebus2002

jeebus2002 Senior Member

Well, the humbucker used in most classic rock albums were PAFs which is what the Parson st., burst buckers and even Gibson 57s were trying to emulate. Patent applied pickups were anywhere from the 7s tto somewhere in the 8s on ohms. So yea...they'll do the job. As I've learned on this site tho...output really doesn't mean much. I like PAFs because they are much clearer even when distorted...very musical. However un-potted can get some mean squeal when you stand too close or turn the gain too high...but that's part of the game. Trade offs happen sometimes.

What era or style of classic rock are you playing?

1 person likes this.
  5. Clyngedal

Clyngedal Senior Member

Thanks for the informative reply!

Those were my thoughts exactly - most classic rock was made with PAF's :thumb:

And yes, the clarity and the string definition is what I love about that style of pickup. Although a high output pickup works well for distorted tones, there's something magical about a distorted low output PAF-style pickup.

What era - well; mostly full on crunch. My band plays AC/DC, Guns 'n Roses and Jet-style classic rock, sometimes leaning towards the slightly more metal side of things such as Judas Priest.

The stock pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Custom are actually quite close, I would just like something clearer, maybe a tad more ouput, and more responsive to strings, pick attack and use of volume control. :thumb:

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Senior Member

I put the regular Golden Age in a home built LP project a few years ago, I thought they were pretty good, sounded like a vintage humbucker at an affordable price. The only thing to be aware of is that nickel covers get very grungy and green pretty fast, as long as you're into that vintage look then you'll be ok. They are definitely hot enough for classic rock crunch, that's what these are designed after, but if you want hotter they offer a hotter model.

7. jeebus2002

jeebus2002 Senior Member

I'd say they'd work for you with that set list. Page and some others in the late 60s and early 70s got pretty heavy with their PAFs. If you want a bit more output you could always use a parsons neck and say a tonerider rocksong or dimarzio super distortion in the bridge. Also, at the parsons st price you could probably find dimarzio 36th anniversary pafs which get lot of love or also look at tonerider alnico 4 pafs. All about the same price range.

8. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

So you're asking if PAF strength pickups are strong enough for music originally made with PAF's??

2 people like this.
  9. Clyngedal

Clyngedal Senior Member

I am asking if StewMac's version of a PAF is hot enough for my intended use.

But I believe I got my answers, so thank you all :)

If there are any actual Parson Street owners out there, please chime in:thumb:

10. Bluefox

Bluefox Senior Member

I have a set of Parsons Street pickups. Sound wise they're good, and output is similar to any PAF style set, with 7,5k neck and 8,5k bridge.
    For the tone I like more the A2 version, but if a brighter and slightly louder sound is preferred the A5 version is good too.
    They are cheap and for the price the tone is surprising, but I found the material is cheap too. After a while, adjusting the pole pieces, the G pole on one of the pickups went down in the bobbin.
    I substituted the base plate and the screws with those from another, more expensive pickup and not only I got a tighter fit, but the tone improved too.
    So I suppose they're a bit delicate.

1 person likes this.
  11. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

I have the A5 in the neck and the A2 in the bridge of my Classic.

I like 'em but I'm not the best endorsement cause my ears are kinda shot and I don't really play at high volume anymore.

1 person likes this.
  12. UncleRemus

UncleRemus Junior Member

I have a set. I think they are great, regardless of the price. IMO they are on par with Classic 57s. You will not be disappointed while trying to emulate the sounds you mentioned. Output, if I recall correctly, was 7.8 N and 8.2 B.

2 people like this.
  13. k0nrad

k0nrad Junior Member

I have a set (a5 neck, a2 bridge) and they sound great. I guess you won't have any problem playing any kind of rock:slash:

1 person likes this.
  14. grantrow

grantrow Member

Parson Street have a Hot version now - if you need a bit more output.

Personally I have found the regular PS pups to be great PAF style. They can easily get a very good rock tone - just as the originals did in the 70's and 80's.

I had a set of A2 bridge A5 neck in a early model PRS SE Tremonti. They sounded great.

15. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing !
    These forums can be hilarious sometimes !

16. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

I thought most classic rock, with a few notable exceptions, was made with t-tops ?