Stereo output, independent pickups?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by barchiola, Aug 7, 2017.

1. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

Was looking at my amp the other day with its two separate sets of inputs/controls and thought why are the pickups made to work together when they could be run independent of each other into the two sides of the amp with tone set separately at the amp? or through two different amps? Separate pedals, volumes, etc. I watched a video someone posted about independent volume controls not being such a great idea in a Les Paul with two humbuckers and no master volume pot.

But if each pickup were wired separately with two outputs from the guitar (stereo?), wouldn't that open up a whole new world of tone freedom?

or maybe it's a dumb idea and it's just my turn to throw it out there so I can be flamed for my ignorance? it's entirely possible.

DarrellV likes this.
  2. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

There are stereo guitars (I have one).

[​IMG]

There are even guitars with separate outputs for each string.

BB King's Lucille is stereo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

wow, i had no idea. i searched the Tonefreaks section and didn't see much. will have to spend some time with Google reading up on that.
    thanks!

Who likes this.
  4. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

As for the tone options.....
    - plug into two separate amps
    - turn them up
    - stand between them.

It's glorious. Maybe an audience member wouldn't notice a difference, but at home in the basement.... it's pretty cool.

DarrellV and barchiola like this.
  5. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Running stereo as mentioned above is only really useful when you can have separate amps - and you have the processing to actually have the stereo processing to make that spacious sound. Otherwise you can get a similar effect just jumping the channels in the amp and selecting the pickups you want.

Who likes this.
  6. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

thanks, i'm going to have to try it

Who likes this.
  7. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

[​IMG]

Who likes this.
  8. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Also Rickenbacker offers this feature on some of their models.

They use a 1/4 inch stereo out jack on the guitar and a stereo guitar cord to plug in with.

They split this with a box into 2 mono outs to run to the amps.

Also a Roland jazz chorus amp will give you the effect of two amps as it has two separate speakers wired to separate power amps internally.

Like AR said above though, having a stereo processing unit helps.

I run my little Pod HD-400 stereo into the mains using both XLR outs.
    That way the chorus effects can sweep from side to side.

There is a pan sweep effect too that would benefit from this, but its too dramatic for my use...

9. DarrellV

Not a totally dumb idea at all.

Years ago I was listening to REM's Peter Buck and I noticed at the end of a couple songs as it was fading out I could hear two distinct guitar sounds happening at the same time. Not like an overdub, simultaneous.

Only way I could figure was Peter was running his Rick in stereo with one pup clean and jangley and the other running through some distortion and mixed back in right behind and a bit lower volume than the clean one.

10. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ A great recording trick is to have 2 to many amps running at the same time.....you could have a clean-ish amp, one just on breakup and one more compressed and overdriven. Just to give you both dynamics and compression at the same time.
    Who can forget the wall of amps SRV played for In Step. All hooked up to him playing and all recording at the same time.

Indeed my setup is a fender deluxe and a JTM 25 clone run in stereo via a reverb pedal. The dlx is pure clean and the JTM has just a hint of thickness or drive. Its a great clean for one, but then I hit that with just a light OD and the two combined give a great depth to my tone. Add in the fact that I can add a very slight delay running through the JTM loop and you get extra depth to notes.

DarrellV likes this.
  11. DarrellV

^^^^
    Yeah, THAT! I even like the sound of that hookup even though I can't literally hear it! That's a great idea.