Stephens Designs pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Swampsnake, Oct 27, 2011.

1. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

I think the thing for me is that he actually makes quite nice sounding pickups & I'd 'actually' quite like to buy some. However, I'm scared to put that amount of cash into a black hole with no agreed timescale of what I will get and when. I hope I speak for everyone when I say that, because I think thats how a lot of us feel.

I 'very nearly' did order a set & I was 'OK' to wait the year + for delivery & just 'take a chance'. But after contacting Bill at ECP I decided to pre-order a set of Hallowed Grounds. I'm still waiting on them, but I feel much more confident sending Bill my money than Dave. I also think the Hallowed Grounds pummel Dave's stuff into the ground.

6 people like this.
  2. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Tell that to Tom Holmes. I waited exactly two years for a set.

3. bill m

bill m Senior Member

Your set will be shipping by the end of the week. Thank You!!

3 people like this.
  4. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

If you think this thread is evidence on how far we have fallen as a society you are out of your mind.

Nobody died in this thread. No plane hit a building. Nobody went to a real war in this thread. So get off your high horse.

5 people like this.
  5. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

6. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

7. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Don't mention it Bill. I'm not in any rush at all.

The fact that you are a winder & you are active on this forum is more than enough :)

We don't see anything like that from 'the other guy'.

I think we should all stop commenting on this thread now. Enough has been said already. I think the most positive way forward would be to set up some sort of 'buyers thread' where by (however many people want to buy Dave's pickups) club together & order all at the same time whilst publicly sharing all communications they receive. They can also tell one another/the thread when they receive their pickups. All of this whilst keeping Mr Stephens in the loop that this is publicly taking place on a forum due to buyer confidence in his products.

1 person likes this.
  8. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Agee ^^^,,Good thing I'm really busy ,these days .:lol:

9. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Senior Member

Maybe he'd been drinking and needed to champion a cause...?
    Whatever the case, I wish he'd answered my original question :-/

10. pinodorato

pinodorato Senior Member

SD Pickups are IMHO amazing! I have a set of SD59HD that are incredible, but honestly, I can say that ECP Hallowed Ground(I recently purchased a set) are in the same league, if not better.

1 person likes this.
  11. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Senior Member

Hello,
    In the time spent waiting for the SD pickups most people could have probably bought a winder and wound pickups as good or maybe better than SD's.
    I find it hard to believe all of the secret ingredients involved, all of the conversations supposedly being held with experts in this field or that field.
    Gibson made pickups to a price point, contracting out to many different different vendors. There is no secret formula.
    There are many more vendors doing the same thing, making an accurate reproduction, using materials available now, not chasing some mystical authentic chemical composition.
    IN A REASONABLE TIME FRAME.

1 person likes this.
  12. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Thats the problem right there. Amazing pickups, totally 'un-amazing' customer service, apparently.

I've never ordered a set so I don't know. I was scared off by this & other forums. Recently there have been comments about a 3 month wait, which seems O.K. to me :)

1 person likes this.
  13. peach64

peach64 Senior Member

Ditto...I bought a set off here, after waiting over year!!! So I asked Dave for my refund and he said no, and sent me a `59 Bridge, now I'm stuck with half a set??? WTF

I switched out the Bridge, they both are beyond great, but now it seems like the `59 Bridge is starting to open up even more???

As great as these are, Dave is not!!! Support good people, I really like Wizz, Daugherty , and look forward to checking out Hallowed Grounds

14. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Guess you didn't read his "Terms" under "Guarantee/Warranty",
    (Or maybe he added them after to many people complained)

" I do not give refunds, nor may you cancel your order for refund- your payment is acceptance of a binding contract to have your work done as stated. Your payment is usually spent immediately to keep magnets, wire and steel in stock as well as utility costs etc. etc. If you have any questions about my terms just contact me, its all just common sense really."

Price List: SD Pickups, Custom Hand Wound Pickups by Dave Stephens, Stephens Design

15. peach64

peach64 Senior Member

yeah...but he also said I'd have my pickups in 6 months...it was closer to a year and 6 months, so he can have his cake and eat it too...

what goes around/comes around

4 people like this.
  16. woolenmammoth

woolenmammoth Senior Member

Its is absolutely amazing that anyone would support this business model. I had two pairs of SD pickups which were good enough, but frankly not all that and not by a long shot. I sold both those sets and couldnt be happier to have that karma out of my life. When you support a business like this, you endorse people being treated like fools. It may not seem like alot of money to some, quite alot to others, but for all of us, that dollar is a vote and the world would be a much better place if people thought a little deeper about what they were supporting with their dollar beyond the product that it purchases.

8 people like this.
  17. peach64

peach64 Senior Member

Even though I love his PAFS...I'm not a fan of him, and can't nor will support him ever again.

18. pinodorato

pinodorato Senior Member

I also have a set of Bill's HG, you can't go wrong with those pickups :wow: