Stephens Design Peter Green-Vintage LAB-PG Set now available...

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Dave Stephens, Jan 5, 2009.

1. gmacdonnell

gmacdonnell V.I.P. Member

Man, I love Tiny Grimes. Shame he never got the recognition.Wild Bill too, Oscar Moore is another under appreciated guy. But some of Green's more bluest and gospel tracks really sing to me, also Kenny Burrell's blues like the "Midnight Blue" or anything with Stanley Turrentine.

2. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I'd like to have some of those bluesy and gospel tracks by G Green.... :fingersx:

3. Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Here's a new video on the Vintage Lab set, there's another one coming this week of classic rock and vintage Marshall use :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9PG-KIOUzE]YouTube - Stephens Design Vintage Lab vs Paf Demo[/ame]

4. aeiouy

aeiouy Member

Many thanks to Dave for selling the PG VLAB set . I was one of the first guy to order
    this set in June 2008.
    It was quit long to get it , because this set was not available yet.
    After many investigations, research and trials Dave was able to deliver in January 2009.

After comparing this set to real PAF 61 on the same quitar, i must say that the PG VLAB set is quite the same than the reaf PAF.
    To me, it's the best PAF clone, today. Even not a clone , it's a true PAF!

So , for those who are looking for the PAF sound, it's the way to go. (thus, you will not waste your time and your money in buying PAF replicas.)

Morever, the after sale service is very professional, serious and reactive.

All the best to DAVE.

Jean Michel

5. aeiouy

aeiouy Member

Many thanks to Dave for selling the PG VLAB set . I was one of the first guy to order
    this set in June 2008.
    It was quit long to get it , because this set was not available yet.
    After many investigations, research and trials Dave was able to deliver in January 2009.

After comparing this set to real PAF 61 on the same quitar, i must say that the PG VLAB set is quite the same than the reaf PAF.
    To me, it's the best PAF clone, today. Even not a clone , it's a true PAF!

So , for those who are looking for the PAF sound, it's the way to go. (thus, you will not waste your time and your money in buying PAF replicas.)

Morever, the after sale service is very professional, serious and reactive.

All the best to DAVE.

Jean Michel

6. gmacdonnell

Wonderful!

Dave's a great guy, and makes a fantastic PAF.

7. dretot

dretot Senior Member

Jean,
    I told Dave the exact same thing! No need to ever get a real paf because these are paf's!
    I'm Glad you like them. I don't know about you, but I'm gonna need 2 more sets! I have a es-339 and a '61 sg (with other boutique pu's) and I won't be happy 'till I have VL's in all my guitars!

Truly amazing pu's!

dre

8. Nigel Tufnel's tech

Nigel Tufnel's tech Senior Member

I hope Dave dosent mind but i thought people would like to see this if there interested in Peter Green.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IohsqpFOmaQ]YouTube - Peter Greens guitar collection 1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO0N7Gc8uTw]YouTube - Peter Greens guitar collection 2[/ame]

9. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

There is no les paul????.....boring!!!!!!

10. Dave Stephens

Very cool, thanks Nigel! I'll take the old Kay please :) You heard it here, Albatross was a strat, with Les Paul harmony parts. COOL.:applause:

11. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

Did I hear him correctly? Peter Green doesn't own a Les Paul? That's blasphemy. If I win the lottery I'll reunite peter with his guitar. It's gonna have to be a big lottery though.

He still appears a little confused at times but much better than when I saw him play with Splinter Group. Nice to see him enjoying all his gear.

12. Dave Stephens

He hated that guitar, the out of phase one Gary Moore had for awhile. I have 2 contacts who both know/knew Peter Green back then and he absolutely loathed that guitar. One also told me that he recorded with his "other" Les Paul rather than the out of phase one. I saw a blurry video of him performing somewhere and it wasn't the famous one he's known for, so he did have 2. It must have been out of phase as well but I don't know for sure. I get the feeling he's done with Les Pauls and probably associates them with a bad time in his life. Like Bloomfield, he absolutely hated the "guitar hero" image he was cornered into. Can't blame him, being famous is something I would never want to have to deal with, it takes a really strong person to keep their head when everyone thinks you're some kind of godly special person, most of them can't handle it, its a wonder Page and Clapton are even alive. A customer who wanted me to give him "Page tone" pointed me to the Knebworth concert footage recently, I'd never heard of that one, now I know why. Page was stoned out of his mind and was a bad cartoon of himself and could barely play or even play in time. Heroin. I'm glad those guys came out of all that relatively intact. Wish Jimi was still here.......

13. Nigel Tufnel's tech

What was Peter doing with a Ibanez Iceman?:D,..I knew about the Albatross thing but it's good to have in on film for people to see at last.

...did anyone understand his reasoning for going with one pickup config again?..me neither.

14. Sgt.Pepper

Sgt.Pepper V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Yep, a 1954 Strat which ended up with Steve Marriot for a while.

15. Sgt.Pepper

Sgt.Pepper V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Do you reckon, maybe Frank Gambale is actually Peter in a wig?
    I also heard a rumour that Jake the Peg is Rolph Harris in disguise!

I understood the one pickup thing anyway - it's just to do with doing everything you can to keep your mind in one place.

16. gmacdonnell

That's probably 100% true. Though, I don't know if he hates the guitar so much as what it represented.

I have a couple interviews with him, including one in the great Les Paul Legacy 1915-1963.

He said it was a lovely instrument, and made him feel like a real musician for the first time.

But he also basically says that Les Pauls deserve better treatment than they receive in rock. He says they should be cherished and played like a jazz guitar.

He sort of felt he was doing a disservice to the instrument by playing loud blues on it. He actually said he would have stuck with his Harmony Meteor if he had to do it all over again.

I can't imagine the Green Manalishi with super microphonic Harmony tone, though...

17. Dave Stephens

I totally understood the one pickup thing, its minimalist, concentrate on the music, forget the switches, the tone is in your hands. I still want that Kay....

18. gmacdonnell

+1

I love Jrs. and Esquires, ES-175's with a neck pickup only. But those Icemans have really strange pickups. I don't know how they work, but they make me dizzy just looking at them! ;)
    [​IMG]

Kays are terrific. I can't believe I passed on a Barney Kessel a few years back. I thought $900 was too much!:slap:

I've done some stupid things in my time. That one still hurts a lot though.

19. Nigel Tufnel's tech

I was just kidding, i got the jist of it, his line of thought goes back nearly 40 yrs as you know, right back to when he played his LP with one pickup for a while.