Static sound from Equator monitors

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by lucidspoon, Jan 8, 2017.

1. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

I just noticed this the other day, but I don't know how long it's been going on for. It affects both monitors equally.

It's pretty quiet, so I wouldn't even notice it if something like the furnace was on. It doesn't change with volume, in fact it happens even without anything plugged into the monitors. Changing the sensitivity on the monitors doesn't affect it either.

I've tried disconnecting any of the new things I've started using, like a new display monitor and a USB dock, but still get the same sound. Can't think of anything else that has changed.

You can hear it in this video. The popping sounds are from the recording or something, and you can hear my daughter in the background, but the oscillating static is from the speakers.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTj9UKmlXOs[/ame]

2. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Try moving them to another room to see if it's an electronic field interference or maybe something coming through the electrical run (motor plugged into the same run) back to the breaker box.

3. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Maybe double check to make sure it's not a wireless router if you have one near the monitors. I've had that introduce a very small level of static before, basically not noticeable unless nothing is playing and really listening for it (not with equators though).

4. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

How are these powered, by wall-wart or USB?

if it's USB it is probably clocking noise on the USB bus.

If it's wall powered and it is always residual and doesn't change with input I'm gonna go with the power supply. It could be a switching (PC) type which could introduce noise if not filtered properly, or defective.

If, as has been suggested you are picking up mains noise you may have a conventional power supply inside. You could try a Monster or Furman power conditioner to filter the EMI. NOT a surge strip, a real one!

Seems a shame to need it. That filtering should come standard for this type of equipment.

Since it does not change in volume I am doubting it is being injected into the signal chain by another device (like the router example). I am NOT saying this cannot happen, it does. Our new wireless router screwed up our TV picture. Had to have a tech come look at it.

But it would change in volume like any other signal if it was coming in through the audio chain.

my 2 cents...

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Call Marty at Equator. I had a problem with a pair (and they were well out of warranty) and they fixed it fast! They paid for the shipping too.

They stand behind their product.

6. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

I did get a new router recently, but even unplugging that didn't help. I'll try moving one to a different part of the house tomorrow, since I'm working from home anyway.

Good to know! Hopefully it doesn't come to that.