Started a '59 LP project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Shadowfax29, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Shadowfax29

Shadowfax29 Junior Member

Ok, so I'm no builder, total beginner here but as many others, I can't justify/afford the price of the 59 that I would truly want. I found this unfinished LP build, seller says it was built to the Bartlette plans, honduran mahogany body, braz board, hide glue etc, and now I've undertaken to try and do the finishing job to my liking. If all goes well I'll end up with a dirty lemon burst.

Here's a few pics of how I received the husk:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The seller wasn't sure if the mahogany had been grain filled or not so I ordered some from reranch and went to work tonight

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have to do some final leveling once the grain filler has fully set, then I need to hit a local lumber supplier to get some test mahogany and maple for when I do my colors. I have analine dyes that I plan on doing this with. More to come!

2. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers Member

If you've come that far, why not complete it yourself? Ah well: his loss is your gain!

3. Shadowfax29

My thoughts exactly! The seller I purchased from said he didn't build it and that it was "built by a Luthier in Maine by the name or Pierre to the Bartlette plans" So I guess he just never moved on it afterwards. It's pretty much exactly what I've been looking for to try and create the burst that's been in my head but can't really acquire without dropping some serious cash so I'm hoping it'll be a fun and rewarding learning experience!

4. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Have you assembled the guitar and strung it up to make sure there are no issues that prompted the sale? It looks good in these pics but before you waste the time and money finishing it I'd try to play it.

5. WezV

WezV Senior Member

definitely do this.

My first thought is its been sold for a reason - it looks so close to finished. I would want to get a few bits of hardware on to check for issues.

if you don't have hardware yet, you can at least roughly check neck angles with a free digital spirit level on a smart phone and neck alignment with any long straight edge... as long as these two things seem within tolerance you are usually good to proceed

6. stp

stp Member

yea it seem like he did all the hard stuff then let sell it ?

7. jimi55lp

jimi55lp Senior Member

Check,check,check, then proceed. Please take us along for the adventure?

8. Shadowfax29

Thanks for the great tip guys! I do have the necessary parts to do a mock up.......aside from a nut. I'll snag one from work and see how it goes. Seems solidly built, neck looks straight etc. To those saying he did all the hard stuff then bailed, he didn't do anything from what I understand. He hired a builder to build it to its current state then he gave up on finishing it. So hopefully it'll play decently enough to move on.

9. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Has anything been screwed into the holes for tuners, pickup rings, control covers, etc, or are those just clean pilot holes? If you can see thread marks inside them, then it'd definitely seem like something somebody at least put together. Still, no implication anything's wrong with it. Gibson usually finishes after the nut is installed, so that's a good thing to knock out ahead of finishing and, once that's there, might as well mount tuners, bridge and TP to make sure all the basic geometry works.

10. Shadowfax29

Well got it strung up today. Everything seems legit for the most part. Definitely going to need some fret leveling but I'm just doing the finishing and final assembly and once done, it'll go to my tech for all the final setup etc.