Standard vs. Studio body thickness

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by clane04, Aug 12, 2009.

1. clane04

clane04 Senior Member

I haven't found any pic comparison's for the difference in body thickness of a studio compared to a standard, so I figured I'd take some. I'm not trying to argue a point (I love all three of my gibby's equally), I just want to present some info for those who might be interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SilverBurps and LPBR like this.
  2. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Mmmm...hmmm....

3. nauc

nauc Senior Member

YOU SCUMBAG POS TRADING ASS MOTHERFUCKER

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jk :D

pretty cool idea

4. clane04

clane04 Senior Member

Pretty brutal words, but TRADING??? I can take the rest, but don't you dare call me a TRADING!!!!

SilverBurps likes this.
  5. nauc

nauc Senior Member

lol..........

wheres the rest of the pics

6. clane04

clane04 Senior Member

Those are the only three I got before the camera died. Here are some older photos (I never get tired of posting them). If you have a request for other angles let me know and I'll get them sometime....maybe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. nauc

nauc Senior Member

sweet! those are nice!

8. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

And the point of all this would be?...

9. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

That Studios are just a bit thinner for whatever reason?

I can confirm that my 90's Studio Lite is a bit thinner than my 00's Standard.

10. nauc

nauc Senior Member

could you measure them, id like to know how the Studio stacks up to the Studio Lite

thanks

11. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

I just did a quick measure. 4.4 centimeters on the Studio Lite. 4.9 centimeters on the Standard.

12. nauc

nauc Senior Member

cool, thanks!

13. cphilip

cphilip Member

I have a 2008 Studio in Arctic White that measures almost exactly the same as your Studio. It might be 1/16th of an inch wider though. Not by much thicker and probably is the finish coat being thicker.

Just in case anyone wanted to know if there was a difference between an all Mahogany and a Regular Studio

14. Hedcrash

Hedcrash Senior Member

I had always wondered about this. When I got my Studio, I thought it seemed thinner than my Epi Standard. I was pretty sure it was, but I never got around to measuring a Gibson Standard. I looked online and didn't really find an answer.

Now I have one.

I know I shouldn't care and everything, but to be honest I felt a little let down when I discovered that my Studio was thinner, and that it was chambered. Somehow it just didn't seem right to me. It doesn't bother me as much these days because I love the guitar, but it still nags me a little. I had always worked under the assumption that the Studio was just like any other LP, but without binding/ornamentation. That's how Gibson describes them. Now we know that it's more than that.

15. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

I do wonder why the Studio is a bit thinner than the Standard given that it is supposed to be the same guitar minus cosmetic appointments. I don't think it makes the Studio a lesser guitar, but it is a bit odd.

16. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

Keep in mind that the Standards have been chambered since mid-2006, so the fact that your Studio is chambered makes it no different from the current crop of Standards.

In any case, I haven't noticed any huge tonal differences between a good chambered Les Paul and a good swiss cheese Les Paul. I played a non-chambered 2006 Les Paul Standard last week at Guitar Center that was identical to my 2007 Les Paul Standard down to the finish. Besides the added weight, there was no big tonal difference between the two guitars. I'm sure I could have picked up a few differences if I played them back to back, but the chambered Les Paul certainly didn't seem to be a lesser guitar than its non-chambered twin.

17. Hedcrash

Hedcrash Senior Member

Oh I know they've been chambered since 2006. In fact, mine was one of the first as it was built the first week of November 2006. I realize that it's all in my head, but in my head is where it matters. Like I said, I love the guitar, it's just one of those things that is always there as footnote.

18. clane04

clane04 Senior Member

Thanks for the info, I didn't have regular studio to try. I'd like to know the thickness of other models if anyone wants to put some up (i.e. Customs, Supremes, and that ever elusive 1964 Les Paul:D).

19. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Senior Member

Maybe it just has something to do with the binding.
    Its not much of a difference

20. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

That's what I was thinkin'.

TBH...I actually wouldn't mind a thinline Lester myself....(I guess they already have those though...they're called "SG's" :laugh2: )