Standard vs Classic?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by johndy, Nov 5, 2010.

1. johndy

johndy Senior Member

What are the differences between the les paul standard and classic?

2. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Pickups and neck. Some Standards did come with the 60s necks as well.

3. johndy

johndy Senior Member

so basically, if it had a 50's neck and the pickups a standard has. it would be a standard? no other differences?

4. JMV

JMV Senior Member

5. johndy

johndy Senior Member

6. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

Not only that but when the Classic first appeared it had the thin binding in the cutaway and had inked on serial # with no MIA stamp and ABR-1 bridge like the 1960 which is was inspired by.

The Standards had the thick binding in the cutaway, stamped SN, Nashville bridge, and Made in USA on the back of the headstocks.

The Classic has been one of my favorite models since they first appeared in 89, the later Classics the only difference was the "Classic" on the TRC.

7. johndy

johndy Senior Member

How can I tell if its been chambered or weight reliefed? is there any actual way to tell?

8. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Built prior to Oct 2006 its weight relieved. Later and there is a good chance its chambered. You can tell by tapping the body of a chambered LP right above the bridge. They generally resonate a bit. You cannot tell just by the weight alone (unless its below 7 lbs) and you cannot tell if its a great guitar or not by knowing if its chambered or weight relieved prior to playing it.

9. TheImmaterial

TheImmaterial Senior Member

The main differences are:

Hot, ceramic pickups 500t and 496r (all years)
    Classic on truss rod cover
    Greenish/yellowish inlays early 90s onwards
    Plaintops early 90s onwards (the very early 90s and the 89s have some gorgeous flamed tops generally called classic plus, premium plus, etc)
    Slim 60s neck (all years - some standards have 60s but most have 50s)
    Chambered from late '06 (but then so were standards)

Swap out the pups, truss rod cover and inlays and it's a 60s necked standard.

They're generally a bit cheaper too thanks to good old cork sniffing and conservativism.

People don't like the hot pickups because it isn't the traditional les paul sound (most les paul buyers want to sound like a '59 or slash: both of which use low output pickups)
    People also don't like the 'piss coloured inlays' or skinnier necks
    The fact they're primarily plain tops has led to rumours of inferior wood usage (although I've never seen any proof of this)

Also as an end note don't confuse a classic with a classic-antique. They're pretty different. Same neck and that's about it. All classic-antiques are chambered, have classic 57 pickups and white inlays and usually flame tops. Unhelpfully they both have classic on the truss rod cover.

Also don't let anyone tell you it is a 1960 reissue. That's a lie. The 1960 reissue is a Custom Shop guitar. The Classic was based on the 1960 model but it would be misleading to term it a reissue.

10. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

Unless you have a special limited edition such as mine, which has Burstbuckers and not the classic '57s and a zebrawood top . . .

[​IMG]

11. TheImmaterial

TheImmaterial Senior Member

Lol, whenever i post that about the classic-antiques someone always comes in with one of those and makes me want one even more :D I think the GOTWs were a really good idea.

12. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

Yes they were. I also liked the Classic silverburst---the GOTW with that resembled a Standard with Custom binding on the top of the body---and the odd flameburst model, the one that started dark on the heel of the body and graduated to a nice sort of bursting flame by the time you got up to between the pups and toward the cutaway. Someone here has one, in fact. Beautiful guitar.

If you want something like the zebrawood top Classic Antique, there's one or two available buy-it-now from eBay . . . reasonable prices, too.