Stained my JB Studio fretboard

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Alan, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Alan

Alan Senior Member

Before

[​IMG]

After using Minwax ebony stain pen (3 coats)

[​IMG]

(Thanks for all your advice, TKOjams!)

2. ShelbyDude

ShelbyDude Senior Member

much better!! I've used min wax ebony stain straight from the can on several boards and have had no problems at all.

3. randelli

randelli Senior Member

will it bleed off on your fingers? Is there a finishing treatment that goes over the wax?

It looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!

4. Jim

Jim Banned

What's with the first couple of frets?

5. Alan

Alan Senior Member

Thanks!

Thanks! After letting it sit for 24hrs after the last coat, I've had nothing rub off on my fingers at all. I used a tiny bit of Dunlop 65 on the entire fretboard this morning when I put on new strings.

:confused:
    Not sure what you mean. Maybe it's just my poor iPhone pictures or a shadow?

6. Jim

Jim Banned

In the stained picture, the first few frets look as if they're covered with spots.

7. Alan

Alan Senior Member

Yeah. I see what you mean now. That's weird! Must have been a reflection caused by the drying Dunlop 65 because there's nothing on my fretboard. No spots or imperfections at all. Very strange...

1 person likes this.
  8. Jim

Jim Banned

I must say, it does look fantastic. I did not mean to draw from that with my original posts. It looks like ebony for sure and it adds a nice touch of class.

9. Job-Job type Job

Job-Job type Job Senior Member

That looks awesome. Is your JB baked maple? Mine is rosewood but it doesn't look quite like your before photo.

[​IMG]

10. Alan

Alan Senior Member

Thanks! I did a bit of research before doing the mod and was originally going to use Fiebing's dye before I found a thread here by a member who successfully used the Minwax ebony stain marker. Decided to go that route and am very happy with the results. After 3 coats of the Minwax, it left a glossy finish so I lightly used a Scotch-Brite pad to remove that glossy look after the last coat completely dried. Worked perfectly! The Minwax stained the JB fretboard a tad darker than my Trad Pro fretboard. I've debated about doing one more coat, but I think I'll leave well enough alone. Applying the Dunlop 65 after it was said and done darkened it just that wee bit more to satisfy me.

Wow! Your JB has a very dark fretboard. I believe my fretboard is something called Granadillo. It's definitely not baked maple like is being used on the new Classic Customs . There's been some confusion as to the type of rosewood used on the JB Studio. When I purchased mine, the Gibson website listed it as being Granadillo. I checked the other day and it said Rosewood...so color me confused.

All I know is that it sounds pretty good, plays nicely, and I liked it except for the fretboard. For my tastes, darkening it was definitely the way to go.

2 people like this.
  11. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

Looks cool bro... does wonders for the look of the guitar.

12. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

NIce job Bro!!! 100% better!!

Ken

13. Alan

Alan Senior Member

I left the sides alone. Sort of creates a nice contrast and visual break between the now stained board and the back of the neck, which in the case of the JB LP, is also black. It looks better in person than in these crappy pictures, but I figure I can always go back and do the stain, but I can't UNDO the stain...so I'm going to think about it a little. (I didn't think about it until just now when previewing the picture, but this creates a faux binding type look on the neck. Ha!)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

I think the faux binding look is nice, personally. You did a great job.

1 person likes this.
  15. Job-Job type Job

Job-Job type Job Senior Member

Indeed. I'd probably leave it.

1 person likes this.
  16. wheelsdeal

wheelsdeal Senior Member

There is laquer on the sides of the fretboard i dont think you can stain except if you sand the laquer.I also have a gibson with the grenadillo fingerboard and i dont like the light coloration but i kinda hesitate to stain it.

yamariv likes this.
  17. kellycaster71

kellycaster71 Member

Looks really nice! I think it's a big improvement. I have last years model that used rosewood. It's dark but not as dark as yours.

18. Alan

Alan Senior Member

Thanks to all for the compliments. I think it turned out well. Scared me to death to actually start the project, but I just dove right in and decided to let fate take the wheel!

After playing the snot out of it this week, I decided to do one more coat of stain so I just finished putting another coat on it. I'll let this coat sit for a few hours, wipe off any excess, then let it dry for 24 hrs before lightly buffing with the Scotch-Brite pad. After that's done, I'll apply another very light coat of Dunlop 65 and see how she looks.

19. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

that looks great. i'll have to give it a go. i've got a great MIJ LP custom that has a dark rosewood board instead of ebony. i might give it a go to make it look more like an ebony board.

20. Kossoff6

Kossoff6 Senior Member

i know this is a really old thread but that minwax pen didnt stain yoyr inlays? it wiped off after 24hours?