Speed Knobs

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by bscenefilms, Aug 12, 2010.

1. bscenefilms

bscenefilms Premium Member

I've used em. I have the old stock top-hat style. I don't see what the "speed" knobs are really buying you... I can spin my knobs (that sounds dirty) just as easily with the top hats - So, is it just the look that people go for with these?

2. loucamaro91

loucamaro91 Senior Member

I hate them!
    I think the look ridiculous.
    I love my reflectors.

3. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

I use speed knobs on both my R9 and my Custom. I find them easier to adjust quickly.

4. Gemm

Gemm Senior Member

I find them easier to adjust too. I guess that's where the name comes from. :D

5. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

What I hate is the term "speed knobs."

I'd love to know which tool came up with the idea of calling volume and tone knobs speed knobs.

Just because they say 1 through 10, it doesn't mean you're running a food processor, folks . . . ;)

6. yllsacky

yllsacky Senior Member

i almost only use speed knobs, i just find my fingers slipping around on other styles of knobs

7. River

River Senior Member

Thread topic desperation sets in.

With my mutilated pinky finger, they are MUCH easier to adjust.

8. Chondropython

Chondropython Senior Member

+1... they also look better.

9. Xavier_32

Xavier_32 Senior Member

They're called speed knobs because they're supposedly faster to turn. You can go from 10 to 0 with much more speed than you can tophats, where the meat of the knob is harder to find with your pinky. You're thinking of it like the knobs determine what speed your guitar is set to.

Personally I hate them. They look ugly, and I honestly have an easier time turning reflectors. The smaller circumference means that my finger travels a smaller distance along the outside of the knob to get the same degree of rotation (not that I do crazy volume swells, anyway.)

10. EtriX

EtriX Senior Member

I prefer witch-hats they should be called speed-knobs

11. Gibsonrocknroll

Gibsonrocknroll Senior Member

I use amber top hats with nickel pointers.

12. ehamady6

ehamady6 Senior Member

I like the performance, readability and look of black/chrome reflectors with indicator pointers over speed knobs. My volume and tone knobs are always on 10, so I don't "feel the need for speed."

13. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

Trouble is, you see all shape and size of them called "speed knobs," not just the top hats. ;)

I took the black knobs covered whole acrylic off my Studio and put amber top hats on them to go with the classic look I was giving her. (Swapped the stock black trim for cream trim---toggle ring, pickup frames, pickguards, the works.) I didn't notice any big difference in how fast I could twist them up or down, if it came to that. Though I did notice my pinkie was a little more comfortable moving the knob with the top hat style. It didn't feel as though I were turning a sharp-edged can.

But since I usually play with the amp cranked to ten and the guitar on one to three depending on the pickup I choose for whatever part I'm playing, I don't worry about the speed since I don't alter the volume that often or that sharply anyway.

14. veeman

veeman Senior Member

+1

15. Skintaster

Skintaster V.I.P. Member

I think they're kind of ugly, but that's just me... And I've owned lots of guitars outfitted with them and never felt the need to change them out, so it obviously doesn't bother me that much. I don't usually need to "speed turn" my knobs anyway.

16. fast fret

fast fret Junior Member

I find them the easiest to work and adjust with ease at a gig, but i refuse to use them, so damn big and ugly...

17. sangandongo

sangandongo V.I.P. Member

Time to a geometry course again. :)

Think of it this way: if you take the knob off completely and try to spin the pole, it takes a larger rotation of your wrist to get it around all the way. Same principle applies to a road bicycle and gearing: smaller gear takes more motion to get the tire to go around one full rotation.

Formula for it is R = Dk / Dp. Rotation = Diameter(knob) divided by Diameter(pole piece).

:dude: Math rocks. :dude:

18. customshop

customshop Member

hahah!

im glad i wasnt the only one that was thinking that didnt make any sense whatsoever :thumb:

19. sangandongo

sangandongo V.I.P. Member

What's really ridiculous is that I left out the word "take" from my first sentence. I am always dumb when I'm acting like a smarty-pants.

20. River

River Senior Member

:thumb: Me too.

Anyway, the larger diameter makes them easier to turn, with less dexterity required. My pinky's crippled, so I'll take the little bit of help.

I happen to like the way they look, but NBD. Some of you guys dissing them like somebody puked on the guitar crack me up. I'll be all self-conscious and shit now, next time I play out, knowing someone in the audience thinks I have an ugly knob. :laugh2: