Speaker upgrade for Fender Champ Silverface

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by joshuatree725, Feb 23, 2012.

1. joshuatree725

joshuatree725 Senior Member

I am thinking about getting speaker upgrade for my Fender Champ SF.

It current has original 6 inch speaker in it. Anyone tried installing 8 inch speaker? Does it fit ok?

Any recommendation for speaker upgrade? I googled around and I am seeing many upgrading to Jensen MOD or Web Sig. Is there much difference between the two? TIA.

2. Chop'emDown

Chop'emDown Senior Member

Are you sure it's a 6" speaker? My SF Vibro Champ had a stock 8" speaker. I cut a new baffle to fit a 10" speaker and loaded it with a Weber Sig10A. I hated that speaker - it farted out with humbuckers at volume - just didn't sound good. Got a Weber 10A125 in there now and think it sounds great.

But I actually prefer to run it through a 1x12 extension cab and have every intention of building a 1x12 combo cab for the Champ chassis one day. It sounds super-smooth through an Eminence Cannabis Rex in a 3/4 back 1x12.

1 person likes this.
  3. Phildog

Phildog Senior Member

A SF Vibro Champ is gonna be the one I start after I build my 18 watter. And I was wondering what 10 to use. So, the 10A125 is great, huh? Have you tried a Jensen that you liked as well?

4. Chop'emDown

I don't care for the newer Jensen stuff. I feel like there are better speakers for the same or a little more $$$.

5. cochrane

cochrane Senior Member

I have the Weber 8A125T in my SFVC, which I wish was a bit clearer and crisper at low volumes with humbos, but I like what it does when the tonestack's bypassed and volume is cranked. I'm not going to change it now but I'd probably go for the 10" if I started from scratch again.

6. rocknhorse1

rocknhorse1 Senior Member

I like the 10A100 with my Champ clone. Very growly aggressive speaker, with lots of breakup, but handles clean tones very nicely.

7. tojo

tojo Senior Member

+1 on the 10A100.

I have one in a 1x10 extension cab that I run both of my Champs thru.

And I'm not completely sure that yours has a 6" original speaker. That seems odd for an SF Champ. I thought they all came with 8" speakers.

Nonetheless, a speaker upgrade on a Champ makes a world of difference.

8. G Man

G Man Senior Member

Champs definitely came with 8" speakers. I had one for a while that had an older Jensen P10R in it and it sounded great.

1 person likes this.
  9. joshuatree725

my bad. its 8 in and in that case i will go with 10 in. i see some of you fit in 10 in speaker. does it fit ok like bigger 10 in. will not hit the tubes?

some of you like 10a100. i will definitely check it out.

10. Chop'emDown

My JJ 6V6S won't fit with but my other 6V6 tubes do (EH & RCA). That's my fault, though. I didn't measure properly when I cut the baffle. It's ok - I prefer to run the RCA in that amp anyway and it fits fine.

11. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

I love the 10" Weber speakers I've tried with my Fenders. My champ clone, however, runs through a 2x12 I built, and that's loaded with garden variety Celestion G12M-70s. Way too much speaker for a champ, but that's not what I built it for. Anyway, that amp sounds excellent through that cab.

My mate's champ with a normal 8" speaker doesn't hold a candle to mine.

I highly recommend the speaker upgrade. I understand it will require a new baffle.

1 person likes this.
  12. joshuatree725

Good thing because I recently replaced all three tubes (pre, power and rectifier) and they are EH & RCA.

13. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie Senior Member

I had a 68 bronco (vibrochamp) and replaced with a Weber 8". It was good but didn't blow me away or anything. Lately I've been looking into the Warehouse speakers for my Deluxe... might want to check there.

1 person likes this.
  14. Eggman

Eggman Senior Member

Howdy,

At the risk of being evicted from the Vintage tone wannabe club, yours truly is happy with the re-issue Jensen Alnico offering in my '68 Vibro Champ. It's great for gutsy raunch and is as touch-sensitive as my Carmen Ghia, which sports a Celestion blue btw.

1 person likes this.
  15. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

I have heard both the 10" and 12" Jensen re-issue AlNiCo speakers, and they both have a certain character to their distortion. If distortion has a texture, the texture of the AlNiCo Jensens is coarse. Sort of like you can hear (feel?) the peaks of the distortion, like the teeth of a saw. If it's a sound you want, it's great. I can think of a few uses for it, so I'm not being arch about it. But if it's a sound you don't like, it's awful. I also thought the Jensen AlNiCos sounded very nice while clean. Bright, but very articulate.

I am one of those who does not care for their distorted sound, though.

16. Alex W

Alex W Senior Member

The stock speaker in BF and SF Champs and Vibro Champs is an 8" speaker. Weber sells some good 8" speakers for the Champ but there are lots of options.

A good reference on Fender amps is the "Fender Amp Field Guide" at this link:
    Amplifiers | Ampwares

Fender Silverface Champ | Ampwares

I recently got a new cab for a SFVC for a 10" speaker set up. I already had a Weber alnico "Silver Ten" speaker in my possession so it went in first. I figured if I liked it it would stay, and if I didn't I would order something else. So far, I like it.

Bear in mind that this is not really a budget-friendly thing to do. The total cost including the amp + new cab + new speaker + new Heyboer transformer (w/ 4 ohm and 8 ohm taps) and everything else would come out at a price about the same as a new boutique amp from some of the more price-friendly builders. That said I am thrilled with the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some more info on the speaker: Weber AlNiCo Silver Ten 10" Speaker

Weber's description for this speaker reads
    And I gotta agree with their description. It wants to make a smooth, creamy overdrive sound, to my ear like a bluesy sort of sound. Even playing a Fender Telecaster straight into the amp, it wants to make this sound and not a twangy, Fendery sort of sound. I'm not saying it has no twang at all to it, but it ain't the specialty of the house.

1 person likes this.
  17. rocknhorse1

rocknhorse1 Senior Member

It's a british voiced speaker with more mids. Some may like that with a Fender SF tone stack, that has a scooped mid.

18. joshuatree725

Cool :thumb:

Just curious, did 10 inch speaker not fit in the original cab or did you just went for bigger cab?

19. Alex W

Alex W Senior Member

It is possible to make a new baffle for a Champ that will allow you to put a 10" speaker in the original cabinet. Given my own financial circumstances and limited free time, it was worth $170 to me to order a new cabinet rather than personally undertake the making of a new baffle. The bigger cabinet probably sounds a little better than a 10" speaker crammed into the original cabinet, too, although I don't know for sure.

2 people like this.
  20. Alex W

Alex W Senior Member

BTW the project had originally begun with a 12" speaker in mind. The guy who built the cabinet is an amp builder who has already sold me two great amps, and he recommended a 10" speaker rather than a 12" speaker. So I listened to him and went that route.

If I had been buying a new speaker for the project I probably would have gone with a Weber 10A125 for more of a vintage Fender tweed flavor. I have 10A125 speakers in a VVRI and PRRI and I love their sound.

If you like to use different speakers from time to time then having an extension cabinet or two to play around with is great. With that in mind, a really good mod to a Champ or Vibro Champ IMO would be to leave the 8" speaker in and do the following mods:

(1) Heyboer output transformer with 4 and 8 ohm leads (part #
    HY022905M at Weber's online store)
    (2) add a 1/4" jack on the back for the 8 ohm speaker out. (Wire the 4 ohm lead to the existing RCA jack on the bottom of the chassis.)

This way you've got the freedom to use the Champ in its original 8" combo configuration, but you can also use it as an amp head to drive an external speaker via the 8 ohm jack on the back. (Obviously it doesn't have to be 8 ohms but I find that to be a convenient option given how the 8 ohm speakers seem to follow me home.)

Finally, to get back to the OP's original theme, a good 8" speaker for a Champ is a Weber alnico sig 8. I have one of these in another SFVC and I think it is a great sounding speaker and it's not terribly expensive either.

1 person likes this.