Southern Rock Tone

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by shupe13, Jan 2, 2018.

1. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

I just remembered this one. A much better video to give you an idea of the PUPS on the R9. Start at the 1:30 mark. I was using different amps at this time, but much less gain than the Stranglehold video. It will give a better idea of the two things....one, how juicy the tone is between the pickups, and two, how my buddy Chad kicks my ass up one side and down the other when it comes to actually playing the goddamn guitar. LOL. He's a BEAST. He is playing through a L.P. Standard (90's) and a cheap ass Marshall combo. He was just sitting in that night.

For the record, the only effect I am using is a bit of delay. Otherwise, straight into the amp (87 Silver Jubilee).

2. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

:lol::lol::lol:

You are a good sport about it though!! :applause:

Love the look at one point like 'I got nuthin'!' and even your crowd chuckles...

That's good showmanship right there and I think a lot of the critics miss that point....

You've engaged your crowd and they are having fun with you at the same time.

As a RUSH fan I can see the similarities what with those two goofing almost all the time and sometimes flubbing, but the fans eat it up!

Looked like a lot of fun and yeah, your friend is really good.

bulletproof, freebyrd 69 and JohnnyN like this.

3. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

I second the Tyson Tone recommendation. I have a set of Precious & Grace in a ES-Les Paul and they sound sublime. I'll be putting the same combo in my 98' R8 very soon.

Here's Charlie with his:

bulletproof and shupe13 like this.

4. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

freebyrd 69: Your buddy might have some fast licks but you play with more taste.

5. freebyrd 69

Thank you. And you see who gets the hot chick! LOL He actually joined the band shortly after that video. He is literally a walking f$cking encyclopedia. He used to teach. Funny thing is, he has a twin brother that is just as damn good!

The great thing about Chad is, he as ZERO ego. We would split the leads up about 50/50. If it was a slower lead with more feel, he would just tell me to do it. I was the same way.....if I knew he would sound better doing it, it was all his.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

6. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Member

Absolutely awesome! Thanks!!

7. freebyrd 69

My pleasure. I hope it helps you find your tone. MJ is just fantastic to work with.

shupe13 likes this.

8. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Member

I lowered my pickups as suggested. Good call btw... I’m going to continue to look. Thanks for all the information!

9. bad565ss

bad565ss Senior Member

Sure thing. I adjust my pickups for clarity and balance.
    I want to hear all the notes in a chord so I adjust
    the bridge pickup first as I spend more time on it.
    I lower it and adjust side to side heights for balance until it's pleasing to my ear.
    Then I set the neck pickup the same way but also so that I don't get a volume change when switching between them.
    Then I let the amp do it's thing.

10. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

MJ is a wizard. I am sure she can direct you to the correct Custom Shop or production pickups...or make you something from scratch.

bulletproof likes this.

11. ezra1

ezra1 Senior Member

WCR Darkburst and Filmores

bulletproof likes this.

12. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

I think Southern Rock is more about attitude than tone.
    Fingers more than pickup or amp.

What kind of amp do you have ?
    That's the ticket right there. Get the pickup for the amp, not the genre.

I have a Messa MarkV, but the last three Jam's I've had at buddys place, I was using this big Fender (reverb?) My guitar sounds like two different beasts between these two amps.

You asked about the SD Saturday Night Specials. I have Whiskey Sours from Vineham piuckups, which are similar. On my MarkV, I would suggest the Whiskey Sours for the Southern Tone. It seems to tame the Messa highs. But for buddys Fender, I would totally recommend Vineham 6070's which are T-Top clones.

http://www.vineham.com/

Give Craig a call at Vineham pickups. He know his stuff and can help guide you in the direction you are looking for. He saved me from a potential costly and timely trip through the pickup rabbit hole. He is in Canada, so you will get good bang for your US dollar to boot.

bulletproof likes this.

13. eddie_bowers

eddie_bowers Senior Member

Here is my magic recipe. Any reasonable PAF clones work. You just have to wire the tone knobs so they are not both engaged when in the middle position. for me I chose the treble tone would be ONLY when the treble what selected on it own. otherwise its the same as the neck. The effect is unloading the pickup and making it clear and punchy as well as quite clucky. it's great for that Jimmy Page tone.

Matched pickups will work, but you get more interesting sounds unmatched

bulletproof likes this.

14. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

How exactly is this done?

15. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Hear hear!

bulletproof and gibsonguitar1988 like this.

16. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

This! I respect the art of playing fast, but it's not my thing. But I do come from the Angus/Perry/Page kind of camp so it makes sense I guess. I was never into the virtuosic shredder guys as much as I respected them, I didn't admire them like the 60s/70s classic rockers I grew up loving. To me fast isn't better. Just different approaches.

17. gibsonguitar1988

Here's what a Pearly Gates bridge sounds like in a 1998 Epiphone 58RI Korina Explorer. 59 in the neck but not used here. I love that pairing in a Gibson.

I'm using a 1998 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 on the green channel with the crunch mode with the gain at around 11 o clock. Rockett Rockaway Archer pedal for a midrange and volume boost, the only pedal on. The cab is a 412 JCM900 straight cab with G12-T75 Celestions. It's a very classic rock setup anyway.

Here's a bit of "On The Hunt" from Skynyrd. What I can remember anyway! I actually recorded this the other day when I got this Marshall...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgkSfh8Ai41

18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I'm lovin' that tone, bud.

19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Indeed! Awesome! :dude::dude::dude:

bulletproof and gibsonguitar1988 like this.

20. gibsonguitar1988

Thank you!!