Southern Rock Tone

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by shupe13, Jan 2, 2018.

1. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

I just remembered this one. A much better video to give you an idea of the PUPS on the R9. Start at the 1:30 mark. I was using different amps at this time, but much less gain than the Stranglehold video. It will give a better idea of the two things....one, how juicy the tone is between the pickups, and two, how my buddy Chad kicks my ass up one side and down the other when it comes to actually playing the goddamn guitar. LOL. He's a BEAST. He is playing through a L.P. Standard (90's) and a cheap ass Marshall combo. He was just sitting in that night.

For the record, the only effect I am using is a bit of delay. Otherwise, straight into the amp (87 Silver Jubilee).

bulletproof, shupe13 and JohnnyN like this.
  2. DarrellV

DarrellV Make the Switch for the Better! Silver Supporter Premium Member

:lol::lol::lol:

You are a good sport about it though!! :applause:

Love the look at one point like 'I got nuthin'!' and even your crowd chuckles...

That's good showmanship right there and I think a lot of the critics miss that point....

You've engaged your crowd and they are having fun with you at the same time.

As a RUSH fan I can see the similarities what with those two goofing almost all the time and sometimes flubbing, but the fans eat it up!

Looked like a lot of fun and yeah, your friend is really good.

bulletproof, freebyrd 69 and JohnnyN like this.
  3. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

I second the Tyson Tone recommendation. I have a set of Precious & Grace in a ES-Les Paul and they sound sublime. I'll be putting the same combo in my 98' R8 very soon.

Here's Charlie with his:

bulletproof and shupe13 like this.
  4. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

freebyrd 69: Your buddy might have some fast licks but you play with more taste.

DarrellV and freebyrd 69 like this.
  5. freebyrd 69

Thank you. And you see who gets the hot chick! LOL He actually joined the band shortly after that video. He is literally a walking f$cking encyclopedia. He used to teach. Funny thing is, he has a twin brother that is just as damn good!

The great thing about Chad is, he as ZERO ego. We would split the leads up about 50/50. If it was a slower lead with more feel, he would just tell me to do it. I was the same way.....if I knew he would sound better doing it, it was all his.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  6. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Member

Absolutely awesome! Thanks!!

7. freebyrd 69

My pleasure. I hope it helps you find your tone. MJ is just fantastic to work with.

shupe13 likes this.
  8. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Member

I lowered my pickups as suggested. Good call btw... I’m going to continue to look. Thanks for all the information!

freebyrd 69, bad565ss and mdubya like this.
  9. bad565ss

bad565ss Senior Member

Sure thing. I adjust my pickups for clarity and balance.
    I want to hear all the notes in a chord so I adjust
    the bridge pickup first as I spend more time on it.
    I lower it and adjust side to side heights for balance until it's pleasing to my ear.
    Then I set the neck pickup the same way but also so that I don't get a volume change when switching between them.
    Then I let the amp do it's thing.

freebyrd 69 and shupe13 like this.
  10. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

MJ is a wizard. I am sure she can direct you to the correct Custom Shop or production pickups...or make you something from scratch.