Sourcing Old Maple

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Paranoia, Mar 5, 2018.

1. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Yeah the wood shed doesn't have stock genuine mahogany but they have pretty much everything else. I bought some nice Kaya there and they have a large section of planed material so you can see the figure and then a large section of rough sawn stuff. They have been expanding and offering more and more in the past few years. I actually tried to order 500 b.f. of wide genuine from them a while back and they couldn't get me wide stuff but A&M said they could and then I never heard back. The wood shed would be closer for you than Exotic. If you are ever over that way you should check it out. Let me know and I'd pop down there as well. I had good luck with some rough sawn curly hard maple a while back.

Cheers Peter.

2. Lokkochaa

Lokkochaa Senior Member

I agree that Ebay can be a gamble, however it can play to your favour when you pic up a fully flamed board and no one had any idea as it was covered in dust and dirt from storage for so long :) I dont have anything all that good near me really, i can get maple, but its just delivered in the sizes i request,i cant see/test before i buy it. Its a bit of a lottery really.