SoundCloud Embed ENABLED!

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Ed Zeppeli, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Stage Fright

Stage Fright Banned

Good stuff!! I like it because it is different and well done with great chord structures and not predictable.

1 person likes this.
  2. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

When I hit those lines at those stops in the verses, those were the highest notes my voice can hit! (I think I said it once, my normal range makes John Lee Hooker resemble a soprano!)

I was just as influenced by people like Muddy Waters and Willie Dixon and Howlin' Wolf and Sonny Boy Williamson and Robert Johnson for their lyrics as well as their voices and their instruments. I mean, it's like I said, I love playing my guitar and improvising accompaniments and playing solid and (I hope!) lyric solos, but giving a good blues a solid lyric---hopefully, above and beyond the old "I woke up this morning and just 'bout bust my head" kind of blues cliche, which is what I loved about Muddy's, Willie's, Wolf's Sonny Boy's, and Robert's lyrics---animates me no end, too.

It comes down to, for me, whether you just want to be another bloozerock boogie brained wanking bore, or do you want to remember that above everything else the blues, the real blues, tells a story of a human life and a human condition. Since I didn't want to be another bloozerock boogie brained wanking bore, I figured I couldn't lose telling my story.

True story: About three months ago, I went with my band's singer/drummer/harp player to an open blues jam. We played "Be Careful What You Wish For" and "I Missed the Train." Got a lovely ovation for them, too. The jam host sidled up to me and asked us to play another song. (There was a fat list on the signup sheet so most of us were expecting to play only two songs.) Then he said, quote, "We don't go for that original shit around here." I gave him a kind of palsy-walsy "What do you mean we, white man?"

He left the bandstand . . . . and we hit them with "My Home is Where My Heart Is." Got another lovely ovation. The host thanked me, the jerk, for playing something by Albert King! (Don't get me wrong, I love Albert King, but that song had nothing to do with Big Albert.) I just said "You're welcome," let him have his fun, told anyone else who asked it was yet another original . . . and I've refused to go back to his jams ever since.

1 person likes this.
  3. norumba

norumba Senior Member

Reference burns of two new tunes from last week's sessions. These are not the final mixes or edits, but you'll get the idea:

Bhangra Swing is one of the jazziest things we've laid down. Epic but accessible, this one's an uptempo jazz noir / rockabilly piece on the fretless guitar, with a bhangra esque /shenai-ish section, followed by a brief release playing around 15/4, then back to the top. Agile fretless, stock:

[SC]http://soundcloud.com/norumba/bhangraswing[/SC]

Hawk And Mouse is one of the more rocking things we do: Group improv into a furious romp with a slight Middle Eastern edge, followed by a chirpy jazzy section - and a final swoop. Tokai LS50 with ReWind Low Output pickups :)

[SC]http://soundcloud.com/norumba/hawkandmouse[/SC]

If you like what you hear, please spread the word on the Kickstarter effort before June 6 at Be a partner for Pray For Brain's CD "None Of The Above" ! by Mustafa Stefan Dill — Kickstarter so we can get the entire , polished CD into your hands.

Enjoy!

4 people like this.
  4. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

I like this one especially---but I'd bet you it would sound even better without that long intro. It was a charming intro, don't get me wrong, but just kicking off cold with that little guitar lick that launches the main portion would be even more powerful standing alone.

1 person likes this.
  5. Stage Fright

Stage Fright Banned

Love them both! Very tight, smooth, with tons of feel and technique as well.

6. norumba

norumba Senior Member

thats a good point, especially for a demo link... i may think about a re-edit, thanks!
    love the blues piece, bythe way -- nailed it!

Thanks! will be checking out your tunes here in a sec...

1 person likes this.
  7. norumba

norumba Senior Member

alright, here we go, the last one form the new sessions:

An open, loose tune in 5/4, ranging from Lydian jazz to R&B to whole tone funk, with a 5/16 intro/outtro :

[SC]http://soundcloud.com/norumba/fivepointtwo[/SC]

3 people like this.
  8. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

OK, I've struck again---"On Time," a pleasant little instrumental I came up with over the last couple of days (if you don't count my having the bass line for about a month and not having had any idea of what to do with it until yesterday), possibly as a kind of theme for my new blues band:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/easyace/on-time[/SC]

I used my R6 for the opening and closing theme, my R9 for the rhythm guitar behind two sample solos and for the sample guitar solo, and my Casio LK-220 keyboard for the bass, snare drum, bongo, conga, and temple block sounds . . .

2 people like this.
  9. albertlespaul

albertlespaul Senior Member

My attempt:hyper: at Crying In The Rain by Whitesnake. Except for the first 20 seconds, the solo is improvised.
    [SC]https://soundcloud.com/albertlespaul/citr[/SC]

Gibson Les Paul straight in Orange Dark Terror.

4 people like this.
  10. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

Nice job, especially improvising as opposed to just trying to go Xerox the way too many seem to do!

Here's my newest song, "Hello, Loneliness (It's Time to Say Goodbye)"; I did the music over this past weekend, laid the guide vocal down Monday, then gave it a remix yesterday that sounds so much better. Guitar: R9 through Fender Deluxe Reverb. Piano, bass, flute, drums, temple blocks: Casio LK-220 electronic keyboard.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/easyace/hello-loneliness-its-time-to[/SC]

3 people like this.
  11. BuzzHaze

BuzzHaze V.I.P. Member

norumba Great songs. Really gives the Zappa vibe. Very well done. I enjoyed listening to the changes and arrangements...so tasty.

albertlespaul That was heavy...well done man. Sounded aggressive and full. You need a backup band or some backing tracks. It would sound kick-azz.

EasyAce In my top 10 MLP songwriters. I love your stuff. The styling and instrument choices are just slayer. You manage to capture a weird 60s vibe but its modernized without losing any of its innocence. The harmonica was absolutely perfect for the break, I could hear that being used for some retro product advertising. The vocals fit like a glove as usual. The perfect match for your writing...even the sound of your recordings reek of retro magic. Well done lad, well done.

2 people like this.
  12. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

[SC]http://snd.sc/11FUvYF[/SC]

[SC]http://snd.sc/11FW5tK[/SC]

Gonna be playing a gig in a month and we're scrambling to get our stuff together.. 1 hour. 15 mins sound check. 45 mins play time. 2 days.

:run::hyper:

Comments?

13. Electroman67

Electroman67 Senior Member

I've been away from this thread forever it seems, and you guy are laying it down. Some kick ass music you guys are puttin up.

This is a snip of a riff i've been messin round w/ forever. Just recorded this tonight ( minutes ago), gonna listen to these raw tracks over and over and let the song tell me where to go with it from here.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/mikekefr/drop-d-song-idea[/SC]

I'll post again when it's finished, or at least closer to finished. :wave:

2 people like this.
  14. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

:dude: Love the riffs.

1 person likes this.
  15. Electroman67

Comments? Dude this kicked ass Session 14 - WICA 2 by lifele55 on SoundCloud - Hear the world i left a note on the SC file. My comp is sucking ass trying to copy your song link and paste it good lord already. I could have written an entire fkn song just tryin to send you a post lol.

I'm gonna reboot and listen to your second file

1 person likes this.
  16. Electroman67

Spent a few hours messin w/ the tracks this evening and this is what i've got so far.

It's still in idea phase so feel free to suggest whatever.
    Haven't ruled out it being an instrumental yet but i do like some of the melodies.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/mikekefr/what-can-i-do[/SC] :dude:

3 people like this.
  17. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

Thanks! :dude:

We honestly don't know what to expect without vocals, so your comment is very very much appreciated! :D

18. Electroman67

Life, i never went back and listened to the 2nd file but i'm going to now.

From the file i heard, i think you should expect to have a following and people getting into it, maybe not everyone, but enough.:thumb:

19. Electroman67

Yup, you're ok....i'm nowhere near as tanked as lastnight and you still sound good :thumb:
    So, what's the back story? why no vocals? and are you looking for vocals? Or you guys just rollin with it?
    Regardless, i back my statement lastnight, i'd stay for a set of that. :wave:

20. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

Lol, that's good.

Well it's my brother in law (who started out as a friend, till I met her sister) band and he was the guitarist playing ambient stuff, no vocals. Fast forward to a year and a half later, he now plays the bass, drummer remains and me and my best bud plays the guitar and still we prefer playing instrumental without a vocalist.

We can make stuff up during jams and go impromptu without having a vocalist feeling left out and bored. Oh, and we had BAD BAD BAD experiences with egoistic vocalists with our past bands so I guess we had enough. :D