SoundCloud Embed ENABLED!

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Ed Zeppeli, Jul 29, 2011.

1. River

River Senior Member

Thanks and yessir - my Ibanez GB sig. Though I personally think most of what you're hearing is my state of mind, and it'd sound pretty much the same on the Tele. :)

2. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

Nice, easy-grooving warmth there!

3. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

I guess you could call this one a test, too, even if it was only a guide vocal for another new blues I wanted to show the new band . . .

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/easyace/my-home-is-where-my-heart-is[/SC]

4 people like this.
  4. River

River Senior Member

Thanks, Ace. I had the guys in the Lessons forum analyze it, and as a result realized it matched up to something else that's been banging around in my head for a couple of years. This is them together:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/river-bottom-blues-band/take-two[/SC]

4 people like this.
  5. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

Sounds like an excellent marriage!

1 person likes this.
  6. SixAngryStrings

SixAngryStrings SeƱor Member Premium Member

Just picked up a Ditto Looper from TC Electronics, very nice playing tool they have cooked up with this pedal, and here's my first go at it at pretty low volumes, just playing around, something sort of Cure-ish came out and I thought it sounded nice enough to share...

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/kodiak1442/dittolooperjam05-10-13[/SC]

3 people like this.
  7. BuzzHaze

BuzzHaze V.I.P. Member

Damn Easy, that was great. Again I can hear the young Mr Cash tone coming through your voice and it sure didn't sound like you were straining or reaching for any notes. You glided through them with ease.

That voice is a golden egg if you can continue improving. You should look over some of the vocal coaching vids online and get working on exercises and other things that will bring your voice to it's potential.

...and don't snicker, I'm serious :D I think you have something very special there. JC had a lot of fans, they can't all be wrong.

8. BuzzHaze

BuzzHaze V.I.P. Member

Six, I could see this being used REALLY effectively in film/video. It's so hypnotic and it never loses it's allure. I ran it start to finish a few times and it's like a little journey. I have a bunch of HD test-footage of my nephew on his skateboard and just for a kick, I ran it along with your loop track....:wow:

GOLD!!!!!

....which makes me thing about an upcoming project that a friend and I are doing with HD time-laps video. He has done some downtown traffic, as the sun sets and we were talking about expanding on that and maybe taking it on the road through the country at sunrise....again, your loop would work perfectly.

Anyway, I'm not trying to talk you into letting us use it but I did want you to know that you should do more of those. They'd get used...a lot!

Well done

1 person likes this.
  9. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

Well, I was smart enough at least to write it to my range so I didn't have to strain. And I'm still flattered you hear anything of Johnny Cash in my voice!

Well, I won't argue with you---flattery will get you everywhere!

Meanwhile, this one's for you---a demo of an instrumental blues I came up with for my band to jam upon following the opening theme (on the introductory V line then a full I-IV-V verse) . . . and, since he inspired the piece, I've dedicated it to the memory of Mike Bloomfield . . .

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/easyace/fremont-ramble-for-m-b-b[/SC]

3 people like this.
  10. BuzzHaze

BuzzHaze V.I.P. Member

The video isn't even off my HD cam yet, but it will be soon. I'll make a little demo for you so you know what I mean by "hypnotic" I use some super slo-mo (240fps) as my nephew does his tricks.

The blues instrumental is sweet. Again, your use of that vibraphone or xylophone is STUNNING. I'm going to steal that idea..haha. It keeps taking me back to the 60's.

Is there a dog bark at 3:26 or is that one of the players? hahaha!!!!!

2 people like this.
  11. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

*laughing* That's my Weimeraner. Being a wisenheimer when I was recording one of the tracks. (Remember---I'm the only player on these demos of mine.) He did it on another demo I've just finished, too. Scary thing is . . . he's getting better at barking in tempo!

2 people like this.
  12. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

While waiting for your hypnotic little demo, I made two more of two more new songs in the interim. (Actually, the first of those songs is something I wrote last year and have played out often since, but I never got 'round to doing a demo until now . . . ) By the way, the dog butts in toward the end of the second, too!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/easyace/be-careful-what-you-wish-for[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/easyace/theres-no-middle-ground-demo[/SC]

4 people like this.
  13. albertlespaul

albertlespaul Senior Member

I was a little sloppy, but I like some of the things I did on this recording:
    [SC]https://soundcloud.com/albertlespaul/improvization[/SC]

And something I recorded on 21.12.12:
    [SC]https://soundcloud.com/albertlespaul/sibly[/SC]

Excuse the phone-made quality of the recording.

4 people like this.
  14. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

Hell, I thought it was coming through a transistor radio! (Oh, boy, does that betray my age or what?)

Sounded pretty damn good, too!

2 people like this.
  15. BuzzHaze

BuzzHaze V.I.P. Member

Easy, sounds good man, I am really liking "no middle ground" Played it a few times today and just lovin' the hell out of it. The vox is so laid back and sleazy (no disrespect intended) It's nice to be able to hear each and every word in a blues song...haha. The B3 sound fits so well.

Such a unique vocal style. I'm quickly becoming a fan!!

:applause::applause::applause:

1 person likes this.
  16. BuzzHaze

BuzzHaze V.I.P. Member

Nice noodling in the first cut. You have some very usable tones there. I like the 2nd cut better because of the acoustic accompaniment. Sounds very Zep like.

So what's it going to take to get some vocals out of you?

1 person likes this.
  17. albertlespaul

albertlespaul Senior Member

Time and practice:).

1 person likes this.
  18. BuzzHaze

BuzzHaze V.I.P. Member

haha, I hear ya...but keep in mind we are all in the same boat. You just have to go for it. I don't think many of us consider ourselves "singers" since we are predominantly guitarists...but it's sure a good challenge to put down a vocal track.

What's cool is, there's a few guys here that have serious potential as singers but they wouldn't admit it for all the tea in China. Funny. What's happening is the more they hear their voice in recordings, the more accepting they become and soon realize that the effort pays off and they are improving in leaps and bounds. It's just getting over that initial shyness or lack of confidence.

It's all about style and content. The quality of your singing voice isn't as important as you might think. It's getting the right songs. That's the real challenge.

Give it a shot Albert...you might surprise yourself, and us!!

1 person likes this.
  19. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

That's something I've tried to stress to my new band and to anyone who asks. Most of the blues guys in my town either just bellow or they sing as though they can't wait to get to the next guitar solo. Now, I'm no fool, I love taking my solos as much as the next guy, and I've gotten to a point where I use them to enhance a song's story and not just wank (I couldn't wank if you paid me, anyway, but I'd rather the guitar solo enhance or expand the story as best I can), but for crying out loud there's no point opening your mouth if you can't be comprehended!

My board has a tone setting called "PercOrgan." It's the closest to a B-3 I have in the board, so I went with that.

Thanks, my friend. Tell you the truth, I really ripped it beyond my range doing that one. I'm not sure I could do that too often, especially singing around or behind the beat the way I learned to do from the better blues singers!

1 person likes this.
  20. BuzzHaze

BuzzHaze V.I.P. Member

I don't recall hearing anything that I would consider "out of your range" in the song. Once you fully relax and realize that you can hit them, they will smooth out. You're taking on a bit of David Wilcox style as you progress.

You've got a strong lower-mid range and once you've worked your high range, you'll be set. It's great to hear the lyrics...so rare in this genre. Although it will force you to write proper lyrics, I think it's your ace in the hole when combined with your Wilcox/Cash style vocal. It's a similar situation for River as far as I'm concerned. The potential is there....just a matter of working on it.

...perfecting what's comfortable and working on what isn't.

We will come back to these songs in 2 years and believe me....you'll hear, feel and acknowledge the improvements. It just takes time and work, something you guy don't seem to shy away from.