Soul Tramp Custom Built Fender Tweed.

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by frankv, Apr 27, 2016.

Did He Really Pick Up A Small Tweed Tube Amp?

Poll closed May 5, 2016.
  1. Yes.. He's smarter then he looks

16 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No.. He's a modeling boy

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

franky,

Some tube amps have a "direct output" for recording. Honestly, I don't know if my ST Wraith has one or not. (Recording is not anything I do.) But if your ST Amp does not, I'll bet Don could install one for you. Of course, it would not be done for the benefit of us on this board. If you say the tone is close to the same in the room, I'll believe that. It would be for your benefit only.

1 person likes this.
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

3 people like this.
  3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Well, that's not as easy as it might sound. In order to take a line out of a tube amp you need some kind of Cabinet Impulse response. Otherwise you will have horribly cold tone with no depth. In order to take a line level out of a tube amp you need some kind of load box that has the line level out.

My Marshall Studio 15 had line out. But it was a tap straight from it's special output transformer and was not the most pleasing of tones. It would need to be processed on mixing board. Which is really how it was designed.

4. Its Luke

Its Luke Premium Member

Sounds good Frank, I dig it

1 person likes this.
  5. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

MMMM MMMMMM Delicious playing!!

1 person likes this.
  6. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I would never had guessed that was a 5w amp. Soul Tramp rocks again!

1 person likes this.
  7. frankv

It's a shame I can't really make it sound on the BOX site as it does here on my computer with no compression.. Uploading clips always kills some quality in the tone. :hmm:

1 person likes this.
  8. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Frank, if you do decide to record more clips of the soultramp, place the mic right where the cap and cone come together straight on axis, place it on the grill, and then pull it back off the grill about 1". That should be the spot. Then record, and tone match.

2 people like this.
  9. Dolebludger

Franky,

I play my ST Wraith though JBL K120 vintage speakers which Don DOES NOT recommend, because they deliver only "pure amp" tone and do not color the amp tone in any way. But I like to use them for the opposite reason -- they reveal what an amp will do without speaker or cab coloration. I've run this head through several different speaker systems and I could not hear any difference that couldn't be compensated with guitar controls.

So I have to say from limited experience that ST amps do not give much of a different tone with a change of speakers or cabs.

Now, none of my posts are intended to change your preference from high end modeling amps. We should all play through amps that suit us. Just stating what I have personally heard.

1 person likes this.
  10. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Congrats on the amp. Gotta love tubes. :thumb:

11. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

The SM57 is an industry standard instrument mic, used on stages everywhere. Because it's a dynamic mic it can handle very high SPLs, and the 57 is a tough customer that will stand being dropped and kicked and generally mishandled. That's why it's an industry standard.

But that said, it's not the easiest tool in the world to use if you're not an engineer or an experienced hand with mic placement.

Dynamic mikes are very unforgiving in relation to placement. A hypercardoid like the 57 needs to be pointed exactly where you want it, and it needs to be the right distance from the speaker, too.

If you can get hold of a good condenser mic that can take reasonable SPL, you could dangle it nearly anywhere in front of the amp and it'll get you a sound that's much closer to what you're hearing in the room. I would recommend recording the Soul Tramp that way.

2 people like this.
  12. Dolebludger

Guys, I heard the clips on my crappy computer speakers, and there are no apologies needed for the tones of the ST amp. I liked it better. And just to ensure that my hearing had not gone bad, I asked my mate (who is no musician -- couldn't carry a tune in a bucket) to listen and tell me which tone she liked the best. That made it two votes for the ST. But wait -- there's more. My mate said the only problem with the ST tone to her was that it was missing some treble. But, ah, franky's amp has no tone controls the way he ordered it!

So what are we doing here? We are comparing a very high tech modeling system that is designed to be adjustable for anything to a tube amp that has only a volume control? Then no way is the tube amp going to get a tone that will please everybody. No matter how it is miked.

franky says the amps sounded nearly the same in the room, to him. Let's just let it go at that. They are his amps, and he has to stand up for their tone where he uses them -- not us.

13. frankv

Hi Splat. Yep, I see that first hand. It was not easy to get the mic to hear what I hear in the room. I only fault my zero experience with mics. That's part of my point with direct recording with my AXE FX2. It's so easy and seamless anyone, even me, can achieve a high quality recording in seconds.

14. frankv

The limits you hear in the ST clip is NOT coming from the ST. It is coming from the mic/recording technique or lack of. The Soul Tramp is as chimey and bright as any Fender I ever played. I'm glad it only has an on off switch, it's voiced exactly like a Tweed Champ should be..... only better.

1 person likes this.
  15. frankv

Dole,

No worries brother. After 50 tubes amps ran through my hands I don't think there is anything you are going to say that will change my mind. Again, to restate. Tube amps are GREAT. They sound awesome. That said, high end modelers and the AXE FX2 in particular give me more of what I need and want by a factor of like 1000.. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  16. Dolebludger

franky,

Right, man!

I would probably buy a high-end modeler to use also, except for the fact that I can barely use computer tech to do emails and post on forums. I don't think I could ever learn to "drive that train", But if you can, drive it on!

1 person likes this.
  17. frankv

Dole,
    Yeah I hear that a lot. But the fact is there is very very little one needs to know about computers to enjoy a level of modeler like these.

1 person likes this.
  18. Dolebludger

franky,

Perhaps you are right. Now, seeing as how I live in Durango, CO, where do I have to go to test play one of these rigs for myself to ensure that I can "drive that train"?

19. frankv

Well. there I can not assist.:hmm:

20. frankv

Well I tried all morning to get accurate clean tone from the ST captured on a recording. It's not going to happen with what I have here. I think I need a nice M Audio interface. Which I don't think I am going to buy because I will not be recording tube amps pretty much ever..

The other problem I see is one of volume. In order to really taste the Soul Tramp tone it really has to be turned up pretty loud. If you think a 5 watt amp doesn't get loud.. Think again. I can not play it that loud here in the office..

And NO.. I won't be going down the attenuator path again.. So don't even suggest it.