Soul Tramp Custom Built Fender Tweed.

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by frankv, Apr 27, 2016.

Did He Really Pick Up A Small Tweed Tube Amp?

Poll closed May 5, 2016.
  1. Yes.. He's smarter then he looks

16 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No.. He's a modeling boy

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

There are no settings Dole.. It's an on/off/volumn switch.. :thumb:

2 people like this.
  2. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

Frank, if I remember correctly I shipped the amp with the vintage tubes installed. The 6V6 is a NOS Mullard and I've forgotten the brand of the 12AX7. That Mullard is as good as it gets, but it would be interesting for you to swap the other set of tubes and see what happens.

1 person likes this.
  3. frankv

Yeah, I was wondering why you put the run of the mill tubes in the amp instead of the good stuff? Protect in shipping maybe?

I love the amp Don. It's a freaking beauty and something I have a great need for. The cabinet being much larger then usual gives the amp an incredible tone not found in small combos. The speaker is great.

One of the other reasons I wanted this style amp is because I am really getting into my single coil Strats these days.. When I put my Custom Shop with '69 Abigail wound pickups into your amp (well, actually MY amp:thumb:).. Hell yeah man. that's the connection I want.

4 people like this.
  4. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

they sorta feel alive don't they? ..responsive

..and you can control them well with the guitar controls,..which is pretty cool.

Congrats Frank

3 people like this.
  5. frankv

As I have said a few times. Tube vs AXE is like this. The AXE gives me everything I could ever want. I mean everything. Tonal options out the ying yang. Tone at whisper volume. Direct recording. The works...

That said, if I were to take ONE preset out of the AXE FX and make a portable combo out of it.. I would contact Don at Soul Tramp.. .. Wait a minute. That's what I did...:thumb::hmm::applause:

3 people like this.
  6. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

100_0016 (640x480).jpg ya, getting that one knob totally dialed in can be a chore-but one I think you can handle:thumb:

2 people like this.
  7. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Yeah, I somehow missed the fact that this tube amp had only one knob! For tone, it is a pretty fixed rig. But if it is the RIGHT tone for the player, all is well.

I once played through a Mesa Nomad tube amp and used a rack mounted effects unit in the loop. There were a total of 72 knobs (I counted them)! Yet, I couldn't get the tone I wanted no matter how much tweaking I did. And when I took that rig out of the house and settings got messed, tones could get really bad.

As I have said before, I'd like to have a modeler too -- a good one -- not like the $250 Line 6 I once tried (and failed) with. But in my remote area, I'd need to fly to a store that carried them to try one out. Then, I'd have to learn how to use one properly. Since I am a member of the pre-computer generation, that wouldn't be easy, and I don't know if I have the life expectancy remaining!

1 person likes this.
  8. frankv

Nah, I messing with you bro. True, the Soul Tramp has only one knob.. But as you say, it's the guitar controls that now become much more important. I bet I can get really great tone from this Soul Tramp by diming the volume and just using the guitar volume from there.

As unfocused as I may appear sometimes I can tell you that I actually thought about this Soul Tramp for about a year. I actually contacted Don a very long time ago about building me one.

My goal was to have a low powered Fender Tweed Champ amp. Mostly this style amp because I am finding myself drifting away from the Les Paul style humbucker tone and into Fender Strat Single coils beauty.

I looked at buying an original Fender Tweed from the 50's. Then I thought that Don could make me one that has certain improvements. Well, the rest is history.

9. frankv

Alright so here is one of the most important factors for me totally switching out of tube amps and into the AXE FX2 for my application.

Below is two sound clips I recorded. The first is the AXE FX2. Done in seconds.

The second clip is the Soul Tramp. Ridiculously difficult to record and no where near the quality of the direct interface AXE FX provides. You be the judge. You will know in 2 seconds.

First the AXE
    https://app.box.com/s/oxfwlz351tj44d0oqqhnw3ss80up1n8q

Then the Soul Tramp.
    https://app.box.com/s/7ky0aw9nhvfe0vpjwuaczi69kukeg3hq

Now I can tell you the Soul Tramp sounds every bit as good in the room. But try and capture that on a recording.. and forgetaboutit. I am not a recording engineer and that's the point.

So as you can hear for yourself. The ease of recording with AXE far outweighs any perceived tonal differences that could be gained by using a tube amp for these purposes. I also would suggest that when played live the Direct Interface would far surpass the quality of a mic on a speaker cabinet. I can see this with tests made right here. I would further suggest that this is the reason you see more and more pro acts moving to AXE and away from the tube amp/mic combo.

I'll also add that the Soul Tramp was not purchased for recording.. So it matters not to me. I only wanted to see for myself how this would go after finding recording into the AXE to be seamless and easy. All hours of the night and with no volume issues.

Could Mikey (aka pwrmac) get better miced results.. Absolutely.. but I would bet not nearly as quick and nearly as effective. BTW.. Thank you Mike for the SM57. I'll send it back shortly as I don't see myself ever using it again.

2 people like this.
  10. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

Well Frank, you're right. The differences are dramatic.

The first recording sounded EXACTLY like a mic'd acoustic guitar where the second sounded like an electric.

2 people like this.
  11. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I liked them both. :applause: Cool treatment of an all-time great song :cool:.

1 person likes this.
  12. G Man

G Man Senior Member

I'll easily give it to you for recording purposes, the AXE is way easier and more "produced" sounding and I'm sure is super easy to record, but even with the inferior recording there was a warmth to the Tramp that I'm not hearing in the AXE, and for me and my purposes, that is the deal killer right there. If I were doing a lot of studio work/recording and wanted that nice clean sterile sound that is all over recorded music today, I'd run the AXE all day long, but I'd still go home and plug into an organic tube amp to set my heart right.

And kudos to you Frank, you have the best of both options, which is ultimately the best way to go about it.

rock on.

2 people like this.
  13. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

franky,

I do hear a difference between the amps, and to my ears I like the Soul Tramp much better because the tone is deeper and richer -- at least over my computer speakers which may or may not tell me much. But that is just me. The important thing is which tone YOU prefer.

I used to think modelers were junk until spring, 2014 when we went on a music cruise headlining "Yes" with Steve Howe on guitar -- using a Line 6 amp and sounding far better than I ever did or ever will. So I don't think that anymore. Now I think that each player simply needs to use the type of amp that sounds best to him/her.

2 people like this.
  14. frankv

Incredible differences.. Both recordings are my Mcnaught on neck pickup coil split.

Here's the interesting thing. the Soul Tramp and AXE preset with 10 inch speaker sim sound nearly identical in the room. But I found it IMPOSSIBLE to capture that via a mic:hmm:

1 person likes this.
  15. frankv

I hated the recorded Soul Tramp tone. Came across muffled and lacking in detail.

16. frankv

But the point that seems to be missed here is BOTH Soul Tramp and AXE FX preset sound close to the same in the room. The difference you hear is not the differences in the tone of the two amps. The difference is the lack of ability of the mic and recording medium I used to actually capture what was being played. There lies a major disadvantage with old school Mic/Cab recording VS Direct with Cab sims.

1 person likes this.
  17. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Frank just out of interest what Mic did you use? Only reason I ask is because so many seem to go SM57 etc. but a few pros I know here have switched over to the Beyerdynamic M88.

They say they are way less placement sensitive & easier to get an accurate recording from. This is the Mic I intend to buy later this year.

Cheers, Rudi

1 person likes this.
  18. frankv

I barrowed an SM57 from Mikey. The secondary point I tried to make is this. I don't have the desire to sit there and test 15 different mic positions looking for the subtleties of tone differences.

If I want to tweak my direct recordings I just choose a different CAB ir and Mic Sim. I could have made the AXE sound any way I wanted to. It was recorded like it was because that was matching what the Soul Tramp sounded like at the volume level I could tolerate.

1 person likes this.
  19. frankv

In my world recording is a very important part of the playing/practicing. Everything I practice usually has the DAW recording. Ya never know what you might hit on.

So the ability to track a sequence becomes paramount.

https://app.box.com/s/ktecr3gig9s2amq35xndd9ldlxsv7528

Done in minutes with a 3 year old running in and out of my office.. I'll try to do this with the Soul Tramp next.

20. frankv

Ok.. I'm going to use the AXE FX Rhythm track and a Soul Tramp Lead.. Stand by. I gotta set everything up all over again.. :hmm::shock: