Sought after opinion(s) on Gibson Les Paul Smart Wood Series?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Freddyb, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Freddyb

Freddyb Member

HI

I'm looking at a Gibson Les Paul Smartwood series and I was wondering if I could get opinion from you very knowledgeable people out there.
    A guy is selling the guitar for NZ$2000 ($1,733.43 USD). I've seen the photos the guitar is in mint condition. I'm not sure what year it is. I'm yet to talk to the guy.
    Here are the specs:

Deluxe Grover Tuners
    Gold Hardware
    Neck/Profile- 60's slim taper
    Scale/Nut Width- 243/4"/111/16"
    Bridge/Tailpiece- Tune-o-matic/Stopbar
    Hardware- Gold
    Pickups-
    (Rhythm): 490R Alnico magnet humbucker
    (Treble): 498T Alnico magnet humbucker
    Controls- Two volume, two tone, three-way switch

Thanks for your help.

2. ArchEtech

ArchEtech V.I.P. Member

Even if its a smart wood standard, that seems hight price wise to me, but for the studio version a rip off. If you liked the look and feel I'd would be worth it for a standard.

3. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

4. db1408

db1408 Senior Member

Yeah, theres one thats been on sale for a quite a while near me at about £500, which is a Studio. So i guess if it's a studio model, it can be had for cheaper.

5. Freddyb

Freddyb Member

It doesn't say Studio or Standard on the headstock... Just 'Smart Wood'. The guy who advertised it says it retails here in NZ at NZ$4000 ($3,145.74 USD)!
    It looks more like a Standard than a Studio. The knobs are Standard ones, the top is a different wood tone from the body and there's the Smart Wood stamp engraved at the bottom of the headstock on the same side as the serial number.
    So you guys reckon it's too much? Bear in mind that US guitars cost a lot more outside the US. Plus NZ being in the middle of the Pacific ocean with the closest neighbours behing Aussie, Fiji and New Caledonia, all between 2.5 and three hours away by plane. So we probably pay major importation fees.

6. Kuroyama

Kuroyama V.I.P. Member

The whole smartwood thing was set up to use ecologically sound woods. Woods from trees that arent endangered or somesuch...

It sounds good, but as I understand it they didnt sell great, and the series has been stopped. In the end, its a nice looking Studio. Though Im not a fan of gold hardware. In any case... pick it up if its good to you.

I wouldnt expect it to go up in value. But if it seems good to you... go for it.

People are pooh poohing the price, but I dont know what Gibsons go for in NZ. Id price it against other NZ Studios before saying if its high or low.

7. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

The smartwood Standard is just mahogany and maple, but from protected sources. The Studio has all sorts of different tops available.

If it sounds good, I'd buy it. Don't expect it to be worth anything more in a few years though. If anything it will depreciate. From a players perspective its a fine guitar, but if you're a collector, or looking for an investment guitar, then nah.

8. ArchEtech

ArchEtech V.I.P. Member

I think the standards hold their value fine from what I have seen price wise. Smartwood stardards are a solid $1500 when I see them from time to time. They aren't of the sought after standards or classics from certain choice years or anything like that, but they are not common. I thihk if you can get the standard for that pice its worth it - they are attractive buys. I think the classic antique zebrawood is a better natural wood guitar in appearance and for the money. The older studio ash with an ebony fingerboard is kind of nice as well. Most of the tops of the smart woods seem kinda pieced together to me, or boring looking.

9. Robster

Robster Premium Member

I have a SmartWood Exotic - Peroba top and Curupay fretboard, and I absolutely love it. If I lost it or it was stolen I would pay close to that to get it back. I'd probably go as high as 1250 or so, but that's in the US. I think the price is fair, and I disagree that it will go down in value. I don't think ANY LP will depreciate in value, unless it's damaged or modified. In fact, I expect them to go up, since they were discontinued. Granted, they're not the most sought after LP's, but they are cool, and mine plays and looks great. I think it's beautiful, but I'm sorta biased... LOL

R

10. Freddyb

Freddyb Member

11. delawaregold

delawaregold _______Artie_______ Super Mod

You didn’t really say why you wanted a “Smartwood” guitar.
    If it is because you feel that is ecologically responsible, please
    understand that all Gibson guitars made in the last few years
    are “Smartwood” guitars. The branding never really caught
    on the way Gibson thought it would, so it isn’t promoted as
    such, but every guitar Gibson makes is made from Rainforest
    Alliance Certified Wood. Therefore they are all made to the
    “Smartwood” standards. If you want one because of the unusual,
    and often very beautiful woods used, then the price seems to me
    to be reasonable, as you aren’t likely to see them again for a few
    years.
    The link below is to an article about Gibson Smartwood guitars

Modern Woodworking
    ^^^^^^^^^

12. trovador

trovador Senior Member

It is definitely NOT a standard. The Standard Smartwood had trapezoid inlays just like regular Standard Les Pauls. I agree with the post above that the smartwood standards go for $1,500. Smartwood studios go between 700 to 900

13. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Dot inlays, no binding... Definitely a Studio. Don't pay more than $800, if you still want it. Nice looking guitar though. I do love the woods they use for the tops.

14. Freddyb

Freddyb Member

Thanks for your info Delaware Gold. That's interesting. So it's not a standard then, my mistake. I should have known just looking at the keys and the fingerboard. And thanks for the article
    Loki, you're saying don't pay more than $800. Is that US or NZ$?
    The guy says they retail for $4000 here in NZ. What do you reckon?
    That sounds like a hell of a lot for a Studio.
    I don't really want another Studio though. I'd like a Standard now, to have something different. Plus I REALLY want a Standard. Cause i'm a brat.
    Sounds like the guy is asking for waaaaay too much then...

15. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Yeah, even for NZ prices, he's going waaaaay overboard for a Studio. Smartwood Studios were slightly cheaper than regular production Studios at the time they came out. I was saying $800 Canadian. If you factored in what it would cost to get one in NZ, it is still a used Studio... Not sure what that would cost you normally, but now where near $4000!!

16. Robster

Robster Premium Member

That is a Smartwood Exotic, Peroba top, Curupay FB exactly like mine. It's an AWESOME axe - you will love it. It's thinner than a standard LP, but the tone is not thin... It even has a belly contour. If it was me, I'd snatch that up QUICK. JMHO

R

17. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Is it $2000 awesome though? There is an exotic here at L&M for half that... It is a great guitar though.

18. Freddyb

Freddyb Member

Bear in mind it's 2000 NZ dollars, which is just over 1500 US dollars.
    As I said above, US guitars are more expensive outside the US, whether you go to Europe (the UK is particularly expensive. I remember Studios there selling for almost 2,000 US dollars (1000 British Pounds) or Australia and Asia. France and other european countries are a bit cheaper but as a rule of thumb you can expect to pay round about a third more outside the great US of A.

19. Freddyb

Freddyb Member

u guys are talking in American dollars right?

20. Axeman16

Axeman16 V.I.P. Member

the only one ive seen was a studio and it was $1200.