SOOOOOO Happy!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by mmd, Aug 14, 2017.

1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Cool! Yeah, the level of handwork on these was a bit of a surprise. I was also pleased that they stick REALLY close to the vintage specs. I took this one over to my Uncle's to compare it to his Vintage Duo Jets. While it's hard to go into detail without having all three in front of me, I can say that aside from "mojo" this guitar is REALLY close to his "Golden Age" instruments. In fact my Uncle was MORE than shocked and surprised at how "good" it is. He is of the old mindset that "Jap Guitars" suck the big one. He told me he would have NEVER believed it if it didn't say "made in Japan" on the headstock.

Regarding the 594 - DO IT!!!! HAHAHA, if you can get past the old "prejudices" of PRS guitars (no soul, etc) you will be rewarded with an amazingly well made, toneful instrument. I have NEVER looked back from deciding to "exclusively" gig PRS. I have 11 of them and each brings a smile to my face. They inspire me to be a better musician through the love and care put into each one - and through the AWESOME playability. I don't personally have a 594 (there are some features that annoy me - like the toggle position on the DC body) but I have played several and they have all sounded magical!!

You are so right about the Gretsch pickups. After I was 10000000% satisfied with the twang factor, I pumped the Dou Jet through a PRS Archon (well the model in my Helix) and was EXTREMELY pleased with the tone. VERY cool and different - but still clear. I love note clarity - it's my number one requirement. So far, no matter the rig, the Gretsch provides a cool, unique but MEGA usable sound. It's a must have guitar, lol.....

jdto likes this.
  2. Paul46

Paul46 Senior Member

Sweet. I'm seriously considering trading in one of my Gibsons for a black Jet to compliment my Country Gent.

Who and mmd like this.
  3. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Cool. When I traded off my other Gretsches (along with EBMM, Fender, Gibson) to grab a boat load of PRS' I thought it would be "ok". I figured that by buying different types of PRS' (Paul's Guitar, SAS) that I would be able to approximate the twang factor of the Gretsches. I COULD get by with the Paul's - but the SAS was too "stratty". The problem with the Paul's is that it'll twang like a tele (not exactly, but that's the closest example) but it is missing the "bark" aspect. Even my semi hollow Custom 22 (which I bought because it was SH with a solid top - like a Duo Jet) couldn't do it - it's just too aggressive!!

In the end, to have the right tone of my country/rock project I HAD to have the Gretsch again. Realistically, I would say that (and if you have a Country Gent you know, lol) that you cannot get that type of sound out of anything BUT a Gretsch.

On the other hand, I have not in any way, shape, or form put the PRS' aside. The full humbucker tone IS my core sound. It's just that once you have that "color" that Gretsch provides it is painful to NOT have it.

My point? If you have multiple Gibsons and are after the different Gretsch formula that the Jet provides, DO IT!!!! I am already in talks with the wife about having a 6120 or White Falcon...or even better, a Duane Eddy signature...

So, much like you I would also have the HOLLOW portion of that "Great Gretsch Sound", lol....

jdto likes this.
  4. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

I bought one of these T-shirts at the House of Guitars last time I was there:

[​IMG]
    The somewhat-unknown secret of some classic rock.... Who's Next and Quadrophenia were recorded almost completely using a Country Gentleman.

THIS was the stage image:
    [​IMG]

But this was the sound on those millions of records (and CSI episodes):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    endial and mmd like this.
  5. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Cool! Dig the T-shirt!

Neat info about Townsend! Yeah, I would be loathe to play a Country Gent (or other big-bodied Gretsch) LOUD onstage. I took my orange, hollow Electromatic to practice one night for fun, and all it did was howl and wail as the volume (and gain for that matter) increased. I LOVE the full hollow guitars, but have only ever been able to play the Jets onstage....

My FAVORITE ever electromatic (though I prefer the black ones....):

[​IMG]

jdto and Who like this.
  6. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Dammit, I just snagged the 594 that was calling to me and you're making me GAS for a Gretsch. I'd love to grab a Silver Falcon or something of that ilk. I think the combination of Filtertrons and either heavily chambered or hollow bodies is a big part of that "Great Gretsch Sound" that seemingly no other guitar can do.

mmd likes this.
  7. Paully

Paully Senior Member

Good wife=Good life :cheers2:

mmd likes this.
  8. mmd

mmd Senior Member

MAN!!!! Don't you hate that?!?! Sorry!!

So you grabbed the 594??? Killer. Spend some time exploring that bad boy. The thing about the "Great Gretsch Sound" is that (and I have experienced this) the guitar will sit UNTIL you need that sound. It's JUST expensive enough that unless you have a consistent need for it - or stylistically it's a sound you NEED - I would wait. There seems to be enough of them out there.....

Speaking a lot of out there, I can only guess it is because their sound is very limited. It's not the quality, that's for sure. Don't rush it man - the 594 is a pricey girl....AND very versatile. Congrats on that grab!!

9. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Thanks man! Yeah, it was a bit of a surprise that she was SO supportive. The first wife was against me having more than 3....it HAD to be ONE electric, ONE acoustic, and bass. BORING, lol....

10. joedonner2001

joedonner2001 Senior Member

Very cool. I just got myself a Gretsch Panther last week. Lovely guitar - a bit less black, though :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

truckermde likes this.
  11. mmd

mmd Senior Member

NICE!!!! Is that full hollow, or....?

The white is nice!

12. joedonner2001

joedonner2001 Senior Member

No, it has a spruce center block, so effectively semi-hollow.

White isn't ever my first choice, but this one came up so what the hey. Plays and sounds like a dream.

The only problem is that I'm thinking I probably need a Jet or a Penguin now...:eek:

13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHA, yeah - it kinda seems like you have to have TWO Gretsches....a Jet (or similar) and something MORE hollow.

I was eye-balling a Black Penguin that's for sale on my local CL, but the guy will NOT budge on the price...oh well, grabbed the Duo Jet and haven't looked back. Next on the list is probably a Duane Eddy 6120.....the more I look at them the more I GAS....

14. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

Congrats! Those MIJ Gretsches are, as much as I hate to say it, probably better quality than many vintage examples. Not so much the 50s models, but later 60's/70's I have a time finding anything to "vintage snob" over compared with the current MIJ.

15. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Oh, totally. My uncle has the two vintage Jets and he was more than blown away by, not only the quality but the accuracy in features. He was not happy, lol. I was kinda jonesing for a vintage Jet, and my wife wasn't opposed, but the MIJ is just "better" in so many ways - like the celluloid doesn't gas-out causing pickups to corrode, the tuners are more stable than some of the Waverly pegs, etc.....when my wife and I discussed which path to take, even my uncle chimed in and said that a new one would be a better "players" investment. Of course at the time he was thinking they were US made, lol.....for some of the OLD dudes the MIJ stigma is hard to crush!!