SOOOOOO Happy!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by mmd, Aug 14, 2017.

1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

While I am more than pleased with my PRS guitars, I recently realized something was missing. That something was REAL twang!! No matter the PRS, I just couldn't get an authentic Vintage twang for my country rock project. I need a Gretsch again!! In the past I have always (happily) used Gretsch Electromatic guitars for my twang needs. They are killer!! But....

My wife made a rule (and it's a good rule) - I am not allowed (lol) to buy anything less than $1000. Her attitude is that I am at a point with my playing and "career" (said lightly) that I should have the best instruments I can get. Therefore, she INSISTED (again, who am I to complain) that if I was going to get another Gretsch that I need to spend so it would be equal to my PRS'.

With that said, the biggest hurdle was deciding between Dynasonic single coils and Filtertron humbuckers. I KNOW I like the Dynasonics, but I have played REAL low output Filtertrons - only higher output TV Jones versions. After spending some time with both, it was decided (mostly by my wife who is a HUGE rockabilly fan) that the Filtertron was the way to go.

This past Saturday we drove to Gainesville, FL to look at/purchase a SWEET Duo Jet. I was hoping to get one that I saw on Reverb - it had a red flame top - but I missed out :( I thought about a SIlver Sparkle Jet - but nobody had one in stock. The ONLY one I could find for the right price/condition was a black 6128T 59. We went and I played it - and fell in love!!! Even my wife was like, "THIS is the ONE!!!" Played through a Fender Vibroverb it gave me everything I wanted to hear. The feel was/is amazing - just a great instrument.

Needless to say, we brought it home. After the 3 hour drive back to St. Pete, I played that Gretsch until almost 10pm - not even stopping to eat, lol.

All I have is a stock photo at this point, but I will say I am thoroughly impressed with Terada's build quality and attention to specific vintage details. We were ok with springing for a vintage Duo Jet, but in the end decided that the Terada built Gretsch would be most reliable over time.

[​IMG]

I am VERY pleased with the minimal modern concessions - like the new cap value on the "mud" switch. All three positions a VERY usable. My wife was thrilled I could go from rockabilly to a nice jazz tone on the same guitar. Even when played through a high gain amp (which isn't my purpose, but it's still fun to try) the Gretsch has a very useable, unique tone....maybe not for playing live in my classic metal band (still have to try, lol) but it gives me another color for recording!!

Anyway, if you are ever curious these Japanese made Gretsch guitars are beyond AMAZING!!

Stuff, Slater529, jdto and 9 others like this.
  2. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

Very Nice!

mmd likes this.
  3. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

From what I've heard the Japan built Gretsch's are the best they've been. Congratulations!

mmd likes this.
  4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Thanks man! I have been studying up on the various levels of Gretsch, and while my personal experience with "real" Gretsches has been via my uncle who two from the "Golden Age" - a '53 with Dynasonics and a '60 with Filtertrons - I have owned and LOVED several Electromatics over the past decade. My favorite Electro is the Pro Jet 5235 without the Bigsby. I MAY still get another one....

From what I have been reading about the Japanese factory in Terada is that there is a lot of hands-on work done on Professional series Gretsch guitars!! I was HOPING it would be similar in quality to my Core and Artist Package PRS'. My hopes were reality, lol. I currently have my P22 10-top out along with the Gretsch. While they are different beasts, you feel equivalent quality when you move between the two.

In the end, is the price difference between an Electromatic and a Pro Series worth it? Overall, probably not as much as one would think - but, the attention to details and nailing the REAL tone makes it WAY worth it!!

Pop1655, Who and acstorfer like this.
  5. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

A friend of mine has a bunch of guitars as collateral from a client. There are a lot of guitars and amps. The best sounding one by far is this Gretsch. I don't know anything about it other than it sounds incredible.

IMG_0683.JPG

mmd likes this.
  6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

THAT is gorgeous!! Yikes!

7. sixlicks

sixlicks Senior Member

Very nice . I have one and I agree great playing great sounding guitar . I would post a picture but I have yet to replace photo bucket .

mmd likes this.
  8. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Some pics of my new beast!! I JUST cleaned it before taking it out - and it was instantly dusty again!! GAR!! Black guitars.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

acstorfer, jdto, The_Nuge and 4 others like this.
  9. Jamie_h

Jamie_h Member

whoah congrats! looks nice!

10. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

I had a Korean one that was similar. It was a really good quality one.

Now you have me wanting one of these beauties!

11. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHA, cool!! They really do have a sound that only Gretsch has.....woody, ratty, and twangy all built into one. While I TOTALLY dig the Electromatic guitars - the tone is drastically different.

12. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Senior Member

Congrats! I live in Gainesville, you bought that out from under me! ;)

Not really, I couldn't have afforded it. Have fun.

mmd likes this.
  13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Man, your GC has some amazing used gear. It was nice seeing GREAT stuff - compared to my local store, which is all $500 or less guitars.

Did you happen to play this Gretsch? Curious to see how others thought it faired.....I am just over the moon with it, lol.

14. joedonner2001

joedonner2001 Senior Member

15. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

Long may you enjoy!

mmd likes this.
  16. SFK

SFK V.I.P. Member

Beautiful! I love my Japanese Gretsch. An '09 6136LTV:
    [​IMG]

truckermde, Who and mmd like this.
  17. mmd

mmd Senior Member

18. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Very nice! Congrats, man. I had the double cut G6128T-1962 which was great. The quality is first class, but I couldn't get along with the thin neck profile, so I reluctantly moved it on. The HS Filtertrons sound fantastic.

19. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Thanks man. Too be honest, after playing PRS for the time that I have I was thinking the quality and feel wouldn't be as good. I was wrong.

Neck profiles are definitely a preference. I played a Jackson PC-1 for about 10 years. That neck was HUGE. Everything else feels small in comparison, but I really got used to a fatter profile. All my PRS' have the Wide/Fat or Pattern profile. The Gretsch feels similar.

I love the pickups. I NEVER thought a bridge pickup @ 4.8K would sound so amazing - but it works...really well. There is just something about this guitar where they got it RIGHT from the get go. No mods needed to be KILLER - just the way I like it, lol.

jdto likes this.
  20. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

I think mine was particularly narrow (it looks like they're finished by hand, so some variation in depth isn't surprising). I agree about the fit and finish and quality on these being flawless. Quite amazing, really. I have tried a couple of others since that are better, but I haven't yet pulled the trigger on one. My current GAS is for a McCarty 594!

Despite their low output readings, Gretsch guitars don't just do the chimy thing. They keep their clarity and have tons of punch at higher volumes and as the gain increases.