Some Recording Advice?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Michael94, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Michael94

Michael94 Member

Hi Everybody,

I am stuck. I am saving up to get myself some recording equipment at the end of this year. But I am quite conflicted. I'm not quite sure what to get interface wise. I read a lot of reviews online about affordable usb interfaces, but it seems like there is a chance with all of them to crap out in a few months (some even weeks). I am mostly going to just be recording guitar for the time being.

There are 2 ones I have read a few good reviews of: The Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 and then the Yamaha AG06-6 Channel Mixer / Interface. My budget is about $300.

I'm just curious about recording from your perspective and past experience and what you would maybe recommend. I might just save up some more to be safe.

Thank you all.

2. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

My suggestion would be a Focusrite 2nd gen. They are great piece of equipment and customer service is top notch. I had 1st gen 8i6 and it lasted me about 3 years and then I upgraded to a 2i4 2nd Gen. You can get a 2i2 for 150.00 USD or a solo for 99.99 USD.

3. Michael94

Michael94 Member

I've been looking at the Focusrite as well. Esp the 2i2 and 2i4. I just needed some feedback from MLP. I don't really trust other site reviews as I trust MPL. But thanks alot bru. I'll definitely grab me one of those then. Guess I'll go for the 2i2. Don't really need the other 2 inputs at this point and time. But thanks again man.

4. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

Recently had an opportunity to record on a new focusrite. Thumbs up from me.

5. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

Get the 2nd Generation. If you have any question when you get it just PM I will try and help you out. Then again Focusrite customer support is top notch.

6. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

Focusrite gear is perfect for a newbie. It will provide good quality service for a home studio. If you get really good at it, then you will need to upgrade to Apogee or Audient gear.

And then, get some better microphones.:thumb:

7. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

with your budget, you could get a steinberg ur22, plus an sm57 (for miking amps). or, if you meant acoustic guitar, you could get a 100.00ish chinese condenser mic. i don't know how much the focusrite units are, but i can vouch for how well the steinberg works. i use it in my music cave (or for remote recording) all the time, but have another (pci) interface i use on my main desktop unit.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur22.html

the steinberg has 54db gain, while the focusrite has 50db.

for a daw, you can use reaper for it's very extended free trial, then if you decide you like it, you can pay the $60.00 for the license.

8. Michael94

Michael94 Member

I saw the Steinberg when I was looking at all the different interfaces. I thought it was fairly new so I kept my distance a bit. I'm pretty skeptical about new stuff. I'm just scared that it works properly for awhile then just dies after awhile. Like the Akai EIE. I read that it got great reviews but after awhile they just started dying on most people. They sell for dirt cheap here in S.A.

But I'll check out the Steinberg. The mic is a good suggestion too. I would definitely need use for it in the future. And I have not yet looked at DAW's. I guess I need to. It just depended on whether one came with whatever interface I choose to go with.

But it looks as if it would be between the Stein and the Scarlet. I appreciate all the input from you guys. Like I said, I trust you guys alot more than random sites. You guys ain't tryin to sell me sh1t. Just give good advice.
    :thumb:

9. BluesRock

BluesRock Senior Member

I have the Steinberg UR22 as well and have been very happy with it.

10. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

unless you're used to beating the crap out of your gear, i wouldn't fear too much with any of the items mentioned in this thread. i have had a ur22 for 3 years now (actually got another one this year, and gave the first one to my son) and both are working just fine.

besides, even if a few components went bad in any of the items mentioned, they'd be pretty cheap to repair, let alone replace. and a sm57 is the cockroach of microphones. you can't kill one, even if you try. :)

11. goldisbest

goldisbest Junior Member

Focusrite 2i2 second gen best price performance ratio. If you wanna spend a bit more get an apogee duet

12. kolbi2112

kolbi2112 Senior Member

I have the Steinberg UR824 and although it's a different model I believe it has the same preamps as the UR22. Great piece of gear.

13. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

I don't know about the other companies, but I know that I'm still getting free Plugins for my Focusrite. Some of it is limited edition, but hey I'm not going complain.

14. jpjr50

jpjr50 Senior Member

I recently purchased a bunch of Home Studio gear and went with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and couldn't be happier. I matched it with PreSonus Eris 5.25 Monitors and because of all this I sold my amps / cabs / pedals and went totally digital.

I'm using the Line 6 POD 500X currently which can also be used an audio interface that records from here to your DAW. Whatever tone you picked that's the on it records which is really nice. No need for microphones.

Hope to upgrade to a Line 6 Helix, Kemper or AxeFX in 2017.

Home recording for is really where it's at now. Can't believe I didn't go this route from the beginning.

15. Gnarleydudes80

Gnarleydudes80 Senior Member

I recorded guitars for years on a line 6 toneport...sounds awesome and they are super cheap!

16. JJ Blair

JJ Blair Senior Member

My suggestion to all recording enthusiasts who are not doing this for a living: Forget hardware, and buy a UAD Apollo. Are the emulations perfect clones of the real thing? No way. But they are great, and they are certainly better than a lot of mid to low end prosumer analog pieces. And more importantly, you'll get to familiarize yourself with a Neve 1073, or a LA2A or 1176.

And truth be told? I do all my mixes 100% in the box now, using 99% UAD plug-ins. A guy walked into my studio after I did a mix of a tune he tracked, which really wasn't tracked well, on bad digital gear, and he pointing to all my racks of gear, and said, "Wow. It sounds so warm and big. Which stuff did you run it through?" I told him none of it.

So, when my musician friends ask me what to buy, I tell them to get the Apollo, because it takes care of their conversion for them, and they will be able to get great sounds with the gear emulations. And the ones who have listened to me always thank me.