Some more modeling info.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by AmpedUp, Aug 18, 2017.

1. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Kind of says where some things have been taking another alternate path. I'm seriously enjoying this new way. I still love my tubes too, and I'll gladly play through both. Pretty good info though.

Rhust and cybermgk like this.
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Sounds like points I have made 18 months ago.. to the tee...

mmd, AmpedUp and cybermgk like this.
  3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I hadn't thought about Mic models for vocals. Damn, what a great idea. Makes perfect sense. If you can have CAB IRs, then doing the same for vocal mics is duh.

Great Vid, and yes, Frank you were.

AmpedUp likes this.
  4. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

I do feel that some of it was possibly arguable both directions, but yes, overall, it could be done now without tubes today if one had to do it, and the listener most likely wouldn't know the difference if it was tubes or not.

I hesitated posting it and didn't want to come across as stirring anything, but there is some really good stuff there about the mic's cybermgk. That's a cool piece of gear for sure.

Rhust likes this.
  5. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

I should correct myself and say that it is being done today.

cybermgk likes this.
  6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Good thing cause I was going to correct you :D

AmpedUp likes this.
  7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Dude, that Slate mic modeler he's using/talking about in the video is AMZING!!!!! That rig is on my short list for additions to the studio. It would be WAY more convenient for my mobile recording rig than hauling around a half dozen expensive mics to do vocal sessions (my singer is too lazy to drive the 90 minutes to my studio - I have to go to his place to cut vocal tracks...lead singers :rolleyes:)

AmpedUp and cybermgk like this.
  8. mmd

mmd Senior Member

You paved the way, for sure! It's crazy how fast people are "getting it". While the tech has been around for some time now, it's been pretty recent that the tech is "right". In my local scene it seems like every couple of shows we do, guys are switching to modelers. Even the "big" band in the area (they have Dean/DDrum endorsements and are signed to an Indie label), the guitarist dropped his Bogner Uberschall for a Helix. The bassist is using a SansAmp rig direct. That guy was a JERK about how awesome his Bogner is/was and how NO amp could touch it tonally.....

As I have said before, a lot of the bigger Death Metal bands in the area are all grabbing Kempers. The younger bands are coming out of the gate with modelers too (Helix/Axe 8). It's a cool thing. Even sound guys are REALLY starting to get it. Last couple of shows, when I have told them I just need an XLR for my DI they TOTALLY know what I am talking about. Six months ago it was a blank, slack-jawed stare, followed by some stupid, inane question about sticking a mic in front of my "cab".

The show we did last week, I actually heard the stage crew COMPLAINING that the "headline" band was still using a half-stack!!! They were rolling their eyes at the dudes rolling up big road cases with cabs and heads. Every other band that night was running a Kemper or (me) Helix - not to be unfair, it was a three band bill, lol....

After our set, the "road manager" for the "headline" band was talking to me about my rig - how clear it was, what was it, how hard is it to use, etc. I THINK the fellow was going to talk to his "boys" (this guy HAD to be one of the guitarists' dad....), lol. It will be interesting to see what those guys are using next time around (we have another gig with them in Orlando in January)....

AmpedUp and cybermgk like this.