Some Help - Please

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by mucklup, Aug 20, 2017.

1. mucklup

mucklup Senior Member

Sunday afternoon I'm planning on meeting a CL seller to check out this 2010 R8. From what I can tell it looks legit, but I'd appreciate any thoughts on it. We're close on price, probably $2100 - $2200.

At the end of the day, it's about sound and feel, but I'm hoping the "washed cherry" is relatively muted.

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/msg/d/gibson-custom-shop-1958/6248630445.html

As alway, thanks.

2. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Looks legit, but it's a 2009 and the volume knobs have been changed.

Pretty nice deal, though. I like it!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  3. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

yep....cool serial #

4. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Looks legit and a fair deal to boot! :cheers:

5. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Looks good, yup, 2009 R8!

6. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

I can't see clearly but please check the bridge , looks like a backward lean to me.

7. mucklup

mucklup Senior Member

What am I looking for with a "backward lean bridge?"

8. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

I would say if anything, it looks collapsed rather than backwards lean. With the way the strings pressure the bridge, is backwards lean even possible?

If it leans, the posts the bridge sits on are bent, moving the bridge forward. This can mess with intonation and takes only a few dollars to fix. The bridge itself is not broken, ony the part where it rests on

[​IMG]

When it's collapsed: instead of an arc its more or less flat or an inverted arc: You need a new bridge.

[​IMG]

So, worst case you need a new bridge. So dont let the deal depend on it because looks like a nice guitar for a good price.

If the bridge is collapsed it could mean the action is lowered on the middle strings causing buzz. A new bridge will fix it so if it buzzes, again dont let the deal depend on it.

Sct13 likes this.
  9. mucklup

mucklup Senior Member

Thanks

I really appreciate all the help.

I'll post an update after I see it later today

10. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Looks good to me . 2009 , normally wouldn't have a "Muted" Cherry look to it . But you never know , until you see in hand .... He may have bought it in 2010 , but from the COA serial # , it's a 2009 .

Don't worry about the Bridge . many times it's just how it sits on the threads of the posts that go into the body of the guitar . Keep in mind the threads (on a screw) are cut at an angle , and that could cause lean . loosen the strings and rock the bridge in the opposite direction and just that could "fix" the lean .
    It happens, issues with bent posts or collapsed bridge itself , but it's not an everyday type thing that lots of LP's get . Easy to repair with New posts and not for much $$$$ . If the Holes the posts going in it are widened out , that is an issue ... Which should be easy to see while the guitar is in hand .

So ,,, Post Nice big pics of you NGD when you can .