Some good Katana Reviews

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by cybermgk, May 27, 2017.

1. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

From Intheblues who just eviscerated the new Mustang GT

And another guy

Tell you what, if I didn't already have an Axe and a Kemper, I'd seriously consider one of these.

2. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Member

I've got the Katana 100 watt combo. I got it to use as a do it all practice amp so I don't burn my tube amps needlessly, but I think you can easily use it as a gigging amp. The tones are surprisingly good, maybe 90-95% of what I get with my tube amps and big ass pedal board. Totally worth it, crazy economical considering what you get.

Someone on another forum wanted to know what type of rockabilly type clean you can get with it so I recorded a quick video with my iPhone and a shure mv88 plug in mic.

My rockabilly playing is not very good, I kind of fake it, but you can get the idea of the clean tone.

3. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Member

I forgot to mention this is recorded with an EJ rosewood strat bridge pickup, and the built in delay and reverb. Was trying for a slap back delay.

4. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

I think i want to pull the plug & get the Katana 100 112 . love my mustang 3 v2 but the dirt lacks .

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  5. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I've been very tempted to get this because it doesn't sound digital at all. Only thing holding me back is the limited voicing choices and not modelling specific amps. It's sorta Fender clean. Sorta Marshall crunch, lead, and brown. I'd like a more specific classic Fender. A specific Vox. A specific Marshall. Not just general tones.

6. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Member

Even though I've had the Katana for a while I've been too busy to really put it through its paces, especially with the gain settings. I've mainly used it on 0.5w mode to practice without pissing off my family.

But man this dude nails some epic marshalesque high gain tones with it using a Les Paul, I think using the 100watt mode. I may be sitting on gold with this thing LOL. Check this out.

I will try to do a room recording with it on high gain in a few weeks too.

johnnymg, cybermgk and Guitar Rod like this.
  7. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Member

Yeah other than the fact that its got digital effects on board the amp is more of a traditional amp, albeit a SS one, not a modeler. It does Fender -ish clean and Marshall gain pretty well, and for those of us that are happy enough with those fundamental tones, this thing is a no brainer to have in one's arsenal.

mandobandit likes this.
  8. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

You can get it to sound like a specific amp, sorta. You just have to work at it on the software. Here is 60 cycle hum dialing in a Princeton Reverb and Vox. No presets- you are correct. But you can create it to be close. To be fair- on my former Axe Fx I found the vox models to be close but not real close also. The models did not sound bad just off slightly to my ears.

matthew bear likes this.
  9. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I guess it depends on what you call call a "Modeller" o_O If your definition of modelling amps is only that they must model many specific amps then maybe/maybe not. It does model the Boss Waza Amp but the other modes I'm not sure about. Even the Helix models some amps that don't exist and are creations of Line 6's imagination, and my understanding is Fractals products will let you basically create your own amp as well by changing the various parameters. What about the Atomic Amplifire? It's based on Studio Devil SW (which I've used) that also does not model any specific amp but instead chooses general amp types and you adjust from there? So are these modelling amps in your opinion? Not trying to start an argument here or put you on the spot but I found your comment funny to a degree. I've heard that view expressed in other posts (& other forums) where it sounded like the person posting was trying to justify their liking a product that belongs to a technology they don't normally accept by denying its nature.:hmm:

My definition of modelling is a little broader than that, any amp that converts the main guitar analog signal entirely into digital data (and not just the effects portion whic is a tap off the main path) and then uses Processing and Software to manipulate that signal to change the freq & tonal responses, gain & distortion etc and then reconverts it back to analog at the very end of the chain is using the same basic technology which can be, and in the software world is, called "modelling". In other words it can refer to the technology used more so than how it is used. So in my opinion Katana, Blues Cube, the ID TVP Series and probably many others are modelling amps like Mustangs, Vyprs, Codes, THRs, and Helix, Axe, Kempers etc. They just don't all use the tech the same.

In that same light I really don't seriously consider my VOX AV15 a real modeller due to the all analog nature of it's design. That may be why I'm also not overly satisfied with it either, it is very limited in the "usable" tonal options compared to what I'm looking for and low volume playing via speaker can be disappointing for me.

RocknRollShakeUp and cybermgk like this.
  10. cybermgk

Well, you can download a slew of COSM Pedals, and it still uses a DSP, ergo it's modeling.

11. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I may take some time and write up an explanation on how these things work. I don't think a lot of people realize that the many of the "controls" on these amps' front panels do not have analog signals passing through them like conventional controls on "traditional" amps but instead are used to write values into the CPU hardware for the software to refer to/use when manipulating the signal. This is how "pre-programmed settings" can be saved and recalled regardless of the current settings on those controls (and that feature is a good way to be able to tell whether the amp is mostly digital to begin with).
    So an amp can "appear" to be conventional by presenting conventional controls but not actually working the way people might think.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  12. cybermgk

Exactly like the Blackstar ID:TVPs. That spells modelling to me.

13. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Member

Yeah good point about the technology itself, but it depends on how you define a "modeling amp". And by the way, I don't have an issue with the term "modelling" whatsoever. I mean, strictly speaking, one is basically "modeling" a tape echo or Marshall tube overdrive, or whatever, when building a pedal as well, using a variety of analog solid state and/or digital electronics tech.

But to many, if not most, the term "modeling amp, connotes an amp that they can use to dial in different various fundamental amp tones, i.e. Fender, Vox, Marshall, etc. and the Katana is most certainly not that amp. You can tweak it a bit to get in the ballpark but that is about it. But your point certainly drives home the possibility that Boss can certainly use the Katana platform technology to introduce a true "amp modeling" amp.

14. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Member

Yeah good point, we need to better define terms; tech wise, it uses digital modeling tech, but definitionally I argue that it's not a "modeling amp", lest some kid buy it and expect to dial in a "hot rod plexi" for his leads and a "ac30" for his rhythm ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  15. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

I have brought this up before to see if their was a general consensus as to what qualifies as amp modeling

Basically their are two types:

Analog modeling using discreet components to approximate different preamps, tone stacks and or cabinet emulations. Quite a few "modeling" combos fall under this category using digital DSP based effects ie: the Johnson Millennium, Peavy transtube , some are hybrids like the Fender Super Champ XD/X2 using tube power section and DSP based preamp. technically most non digital stomp box pedals fall under this category as well.

The other is DSP based algorithmic modeling which is 100% code based. like the Axe FX , Helix , Kemper , software modelers , mustang, most Line 6 combos ect ect .

My feeling on it is in 2017 if were are not talking DSP based algorithmic modeling we are not really talking modeling :) JMHO of course.

RocknRollShakeUp and KenG like this.
  16. JOESHMOE

JOESHMOE Senior Member

The Katana has a dsp chip and it "models" tubes,
    transformers and the rest of the tube amp components.

And also several effects, it just doesnt have very many
    different options as compared to an AXE FX, Helix,
    Kemper.....etc.

Jimmy

RocknRollShakeUp and Guitar Rod like this.
  17. Michel347

Michel347 Member

Also you can get to the amps found into the GT-100 and more effects including Tera Echo, ..., etc