Some big changes to the Burst Replica ....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by alexanderja, Oct 10, 2011.

1. alexanderja

alexanderja Senior Member

Ok, well I said a while back that once I'd finished the mods I was doing on this guitar, I'd do a thread to show them .... and the extent to which the colour has faded since I first got her.
    The colour was never a strong red on this, I asked Tom to do a very vintage faded burst, which he nailed 100%. The guitar spends a LOT of its life out of the case, in my very well lit front room and so has had its fair share of UV. The back has had some proper sunning in my garden over the summer, to fade it a bit too .... the fading of the top therefore has happened naturally and the back was all intentional.

It's amazing how much the red has gone from the top actually, turning a very vintage light brown and leaving me with a rather tasty lemon burst (with all the red still under the plastics).
    It's amazing watching the colours change and develop over time, and as the finish hardens up, and dirt gets into some of the checking, it just looks better and better.

Anyway here's some pics of the colour its settled down to -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rykus, cooljuk, joebonsai and 5 others like this.
  2. alexanderja

3. alexanderja

And here's a few shots showing the faded back and the detail on the back wear -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. alexanderja

Now .... this is a pretty big mod ill admit.

This guitar was great from the moment I opened the case, but... there was one thing that started to get to me. I'm used to playing with fairly big frets, tall more than anything. When I had my '56 Strat replica built I opted for 'larger than vintage' frets.. and never regretted it. When Tom built this guitar for me I didn't want to steer away from vintage correct with anything, but ...with my playing style as is , I just kept finding that with aggressive bends I was getting string-slip... and losing it. From what I was used to, there just wasn't enough to get hold of with the vintage frets.

I stuck with it for a while, but just came to the conclusion that having spent so much money, I wanted it to be perfect (which my Strat is).

So crazy as some may think, I took the guitar to Charlie Chandler and asked him to put some taller frets on and fret plek her.

Visually the taller frets didn't change much, but it transformed the guitar into another league for me and just played like heaven from the second I got it back..... now it was perfect.

....... well nearly !

Losing the binding nibs, as was inevitable with the refret honestly didn't bother me. It was in my consideration before having the job done, but to me the whole thing does little to deviate it from a pure vintage replica. The majority of bursts (players anyway) that you see have been refretted now, and many consequently have no nibs ... check out BOTB. If anything it actually adds to the rest of the guitars very realistic 50 years of ageing...... as opposed to mysteriously having perfect original frets on a visually very well played old guitar.

However, one result of the refret and Plek job did bother me..... in the process a fair bit of Toms famous fretboard ageing had been tampered with ... and smoothed down (something I hadn't accounted for).

Now that..... I wasn't happy with.

So ..... being a die hard curer, not a settler (to my great expense in life) I contacted Tom to see if he'd take on the job of re-ageing my board and Inlays ..... which he said he would (thanks Tom, cos I'd have cried if you'd said no).

So off the guitar went back to Tom (even as I'm writing this I can see how mad it all is) to have the board ageing restored to its original beauty.

So thats that really, now the refret is done and its 'Fret Plecked'.... I love it ...

....the board and Inlays are all 'Tom Bartletted' up again.....I love that of course.....

.... all is good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. alexanderja

While the camera's out, here's a couple of shots of the top carve ..... they don't do em like this anymore !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And on the slightly more sensible side of modding, I fitted some Throbak aged covers this week ... which look nice -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RAG7890 likes this.
  6. alexanderja

That's it really, all done I think .....

Nothing left but to let rip with the pictures -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greco likes this.
  7. alexanderja

8. mono

mono Senior Member

You must earn a lot :)

swampblues likes this.
  9. jacco

jacco Senior Member

Stunning guitar, great photography!

10. alexanderja

No ...... MBNA does

Udonitron likes this.
  11. rirakuma

rirakuma Senior Member

Holy shit, everytime this gets bumped I click on it and always get stunned. You make me sad because I can't afford one.

12. 3pupLPC

3pupLPC Senior Member

Very nicely done. Looks like are actually some bits of the FEB left in places which does look authentic. Congrats on a beautiful instrument! Thanks for sharing it..

13. stefan5

stefan5 Member

Just fantastic!

14. mono

mono Senior Member

haha :D
    wonderful guitar you've got there. do you ever play live around London? i'd love to see that thing in action.

15. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Great looking guitar. I love it!

BB

16. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Man that is a killer guitar

17. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Spectacular!!!

18. MauiCliff

MauiCliff Senior Member

Good Stuff!!:)

19. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Crazy how you have almost all your saddles slammed back?
    Is it perfectly intonated like that?

20. silverkw

silverkw Senior Member

This is just f#@!ing beautiful!