Solos in G major

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by LiveSimply, Dec 15, 2017.

1. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

I've noticed that many of the acoustic songs I've learned, or am learning, are in the key of G major.

I've always liked the sound of an electric guitar soloing over acoustic rhythm, ala Melissa by the Allman Brothers. I'd like to solo over some of the G major progressions for my songs and want to get my ear a bit used to the "major" lead sound (specifically in the key of G), as I typically have only used minor pentatonic to lead. I know I can use the G minor pentatonic over a G progression, but I'm really interested in focusing on just that "major" sound for now.

I'm having a hard time finding good lead examples in G major, though. The best one I've found is Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" where he's definitely soloing strictly in the major scale (he seems to hit all the G major notes except the F#).

Basically, do any of you guys know of any good songs with leads using G major that you can suggest I go and check out?

Thanks very much in advance. LS.

2. bungle

bungle Senior Member

Major pentetonic. Same scale pattern pretty much. Slide toward the nut three frets and make your pinky the root note.

3. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Ramblin Man

GitFiddle and LiveSimply like this.
  4. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

Oh that looks like a nice one to look into. Thanks much.

VictorB likes this.
  5. Kingdom of Nye

Kingdom of Nye Senior Member

Just thinking out loud here, but there are also a ton of guitar solos written in E minor (the relative minor to G maj) that would potentially work very well over G major.

Seeing as how E minor is one of - if not the most common key in guitar based music, you'll probably find a lot of E minor examples to inspire new ideas when soloing over G major.

bungle likes this.
  6. Stoli

Stoli Senior Member

I think you can wear G out on this track if you are an ABB fan and want to solo over country stuff. You do not have to be Dickey Betts to sound good noodling around with this.

slug_maine, Eddie 70 and jeff_farkas like this.
  7. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions all. Will keep plugging on my end.

8. To Need a Woman

To Need a Woman Senior Member

Lovely solo in this. It's in G, but the solo is mostly done over borrowed chords. However, see if the unexpected sound of the piano throws you.

These too

9. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

Thank you for the suggestions.

I will look into those as well.