So you want to know about music eh? Then watch!

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Phil47uk, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Happy Trees

Happy Trees Senior Member

Wait a sec, isn't the EXACT OPPOSITE why Mozart (?) ended his minor-keyed music on a major chord?

1 person likes this.
  2. Happy Trees

Happy Trees Senior Member

Cheeses, that's a gorgeous song. :shock:

But yeah, I agree with you, it's VERY bluesy. Around the 2 minute mark it gets pretty metal, too. I like it!

1 person likes this.
  3. JonR

JonR Senior Member

The period Phil47UK was talking about was the modal era, well before Mozart.
    The modal era (from 600-1500 AD, very roughly) used just dorian, phrygian, mixolydian and lydian (and their so-called "plagal" variants).
    Ionian, apparently, was popular with the troubadours (12-14th centuries), which is tantamount to calling it the "pop" music of the day. It wasn't so much that it was "happy" (lydian is brighter than ionian), but that it had those licentious, vulgar associations with the "common people". Heavens, folk might actually dance to it! (shudder..):eek: (and you know what people tend to get up to after they've had a dance or two...:facepalm: )

Ionian and Aeolian were finally allowed into the modal pantheon in 1549. If you can't beat 'em join 'em...:dude:.
    And, just as the church might have feared, it resulted in the destruction of civilisation as they knew it. Those two modes, along with the new system of "tonal harmony" they allowed, ushered in the baroque and classical revolutions (hello Bach, hello Mozart, etc), which destroyed the old modal era for good.

3 people like this.
  4. jchrisf

jchrisf Senior Member

Great stuff Phil47uk.. thanks for sharing! I am going to watch this a few more times and let it really sink in.

I'm a novice that wants to learn more and become a better musician (especially with the guitar). Where do I go from here? I basically learned to play a few years ago with the Troy Stetina Metal Series and recently taught myself to read music with the Hal Leonard three book method. I've still got a lot more to learn but love it :)

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Member

Subscribed to the channel, I'll check them out later. Thanks!

6. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Thanks Jchrisf and Rayin..

Blimey, I haven't been back here in ages, but it's nice to know people are still enjoying the series..

I love it when barriers are broken down in music and recently I came across this.
    The idea is not new as it was done by 'Axis of awesome', but not like this with a full symphony orchestra..
    The head of music in an academy I teach in and I did an experiment the other week showing it to a class of 30 older kids on a big screen to see what their reaction would be. At first you could them glaze over " Oh no, not another classical piece of music", but by the end they were all riveted in their seats and dying to know how it was done...:shock:..:laugh2:
    Questions were flying all over the place.
    I just love anything like this that breaks down barriers and demonstrates music is music whatever the genre or period it was written in..

It's so refreshing to see people like Rainer Hersch and Howard Goodall breaking down the prejudices and barriers between classical music and modern contemporary music and showing how everything has evolved and is still connected .
    I personally take my hat of to people like these guys in education and the music industry...:applause:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFrsBMXipDk[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  7. mgenet

mgenet Earth = Cheese Burger Silver Supporter Premium Member

Phil, a big hearty thanks mate,

I will begin this weekend...

1 person likes this.