So you want to know about music eh? Then watch!

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Phil47uk, Feb 16, 2009.

1. LiveOak

LiveOak Senior Member

This is incredible, thanks! I shall be watching these for quite some time, and learning all along.

Thank you!

2. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Yeah I find it's the only real video out there that not only makes sense, but gives you the history of music at the same time and how it has been applied across the board.

3. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

What an ironic twist of fate..
    I was talking to the singing teacher down this neck of the woods today and it turned out that they just did a performance at the Royal Albert hall with all the school choirs from the county of Somerset.. And guess who one of the presenters ? Howard Goodall..Well well...

4. guitarEd

guitarEd Senior Member

I would also recomend watching the section on bass in the series, to get an understanding of how that also fits in . You can never know too much about this music stuff anyways.....

ed

5. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Yeah that's awesome too...:dude:

6. Harmony

Harmony V.I.P. Member

7. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Thanks for bumping the thread Harmony. There is so much info in those videos, if only people took the time to watch them.
    The series is the best documentary on music ever made in my opinion.

8. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

Yes, thanks to whomever for the bump or I would've never seen this. I'll be forwarding this thread to lot's of folks.

I was told I once gave a singer songwriter "writers block" for about 3 months. In the act of trying to explain, what I felt was pretty remedial, a basic tonic dominant relationship and how if he wanted his material to improve he should "honor" the music by learning more about the mechanics etc. His response was "I just try to feel it man"

My response: "Yeh, that's what I look for in a dentist or a surgeon."

Here's the one that should've been at the top of the pile Phil. (and once again, THANK YOU for taking to time to corral all these VERY entertaining nuggets of wisdom!)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYBNoFcvcWI]YouTube - Caveman - Invention of Music[/ame]

9. Harmony

Harmony V.I.P. Member

You're welcome :)

These threads I bumped is what learning music is all about and some great advice/info from some very knowledgeable members/teachers like yourself.

Thank YOU Phil! :thumb:

10. mikemack

mikemack Senior Member

:applause: Excellent, I missed this thread as well :thumb:

11. Monsyphon

Monsyphon Member

Requests for sticky. Seriously, these videos has helped me out in so many ways and I'm not even done it yet.

12. Harmony

Harmony V.I.P. Member

I agree and I have sent a request for this thread and some others to be stickies too. :fingersx:

13. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

I thing the whole series is a classic. Howard Goodall made a brilliant job of narating it and I think so many people would benefit from just sitting down and taking it all in.
    What I love about this series is that there are no boundaries ie.. It's not just a snooty programme on classical music, nor a programme soley about loud rock music. It's about music full stop and how each genre of music throughout history has inspired another.
    In my opinion, this should be shown in every school.

14. sliding tom

sliding tom Senior Member

I still hope that some german TV station will be smart enough one of these days to pick this one up and air it over here.

15. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Yeah I think this series should be part of the curriculum in all music depts throughout the world.

16. Harmony

Harmony V.I.P. Member

I agree Phil, it would benefit many children, adults even.

17. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Hell, I wish they had things like this when I was a kid.. All we had was some crusty old bastard playing Shenahdoah on the piano and everyone had to sing. Well seeing it was a real rough all boys school and the lyrics in the second verse at 1:30 went..

'O' Shenandoah I love your daughter'.

You can imagine what they sang.

'O' Shenandoah I f***** your daughter'.

Well that's as far as we got every week before we were all marched into the hall and the whole class was caned by the headmaster..Shit that hurt..
    It wasn't even me, but you couldn't say who it was for fear of getting beaten up outside.

Bloody marvelous..That's what my music lessons consisted of, week after week after bloody week.
    Every time I hear this song I can feel that cane sting on both hands.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8uaXJOeXgE]YouTube - BRYN TERFEL - SHENANDOAH (lyrics)[/ame]

18. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

:lol:.. Yeah I wonder when the first cavemen started tapping out a rhythm and others joined in.

19. Harmony

Harmony V.I.P. Member

:laugh2: I can imagine the boys singing something like that, we also had those kind of lyrics to our songs at school.

Ouch, I remember the cane days very well, as well as the slipper in elementary. I remember seeing mostly boys come out of the Heads office with tears in their eyes and not being able to sit for a while :shock:

We had some boring songs to learn in my guitar lesson days at school.
    I also remember having a floppy vinyl/plastic 7" record from a magazine or book or something to help tune the guitar from :laugh2:
    I believe I still have that and my music note book in my memory box somewhere :lol:

20. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

:lol:.. Now I know you are certainly not in your twenties, or even thirties in fact. :laugh2: