So you want to know about music eh? Then watch!

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Phil47uk, Feb 16, 2009.

1. fatb0t

fatb0t Senior Member

this is very enlightening, thank you :)

2. Kapeji

Kapeji Junior Member

I am off for an Op on Friday (X4 Bypass) and have downloaded the whole lot onto my Ipod, this will make the days more interesting!

Cheers!

3. sliding tom

sliding tom Senior Member

4. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

I hope you enjoy it fatb0t..:dude:
    Yeah, personaly I feel it's high time many guitarists got out of the little myopic box we have dug for ourselves over the years and looked at music in a much wider area.
    The problem I have noticed with many is that they are fine with their pentatonic riffs and power chords, but haven't a clue when it comes to working with other musicians other than slap happy bassists and loud drummers.
    As I said before though, there is nothing wrong with that, if that is what you want and where you want to remain, but this post is really for the more adventurous amongst us and those who may wish to try and carve out a career in the music biz, or simply broaden their perspective.

5. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Best wishes for the op Kapeji..You'll be out and rockin in no time...:dude:
    Let us all know when you are out..
    Yeah, that lot will certainly keep you busy.:laugh2:

6. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Senior Member

Thanks for the videos. I've been putting off learning theory for a long time and this is just the thing I needed.

7. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

bravo

8. Kapeji

Kapeji Junior Member

9. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

The problem with things these days is that there are just so many 'So called experts ' haunting forums and, writing tab and generally trying get in on the act who know absolutely bugger all about music as a whole.. This is evident by how many replies to questions on forums re theory where all the poster has done is go to his or her favourite guitar site and paste and copy something someone else has already written and make it look like their own handywork.

Of course as well as that, many people just don't want to hear what you tell them.. They only want to hear a quick solution. The problem being is that quick solution usually only bogs them down even more.
    I take no credit whatsoever for the links to those videos above. None of it was my handywork.. All I endevoured to do was to point people who get into a rut to something that actually makes sense for a change and is well narated and put together.

It's a pity that more people don't justs sit back and take in a series like 'How music works'. Look at music as a whole entity.. It's history..Where and how scales, melody, chords and rhythms evolved. How they are used and where they have gone and are going. They would be surprised at what they could learn.
    Personally I don't bother in writing many replies to theory questions, for the simple reason that there are already a hundred and one people doing that already ( Some with good advice and some with a complete load of old waffle ) :laugh2:

Some are probably put off by the fact that the series is not soley dedicated to a pointy headstock guitar and a pedal board. Others, that it's just too long winded for their concentration span. Once again, a pity because all music is related. The blues for instance.. Why those particular scales used are so effective. The history of field chants and holler's.. Call and response.. All a rich history of Afro American music..To understand where and why it evolved is to have an insight into the culture. Just learning a minor pentatonic scale and wailing away, is not what's it's all about. It's about phrasing.. Timing.. Rhythm and the passion of those particular peoples.

My old farts rant for the day...:laugh2:

10. guitarEd

guitarEd Senior Member

nice rant Phil, you have a way of hitting the nail on the head...

ed

Phil47uk likes this.
  11. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

Stop making so much sense Phil. The guys are perfectly happy with masturbatory pentatonics. I however am a mechanic. I like to know how things work. Kind of like a schematic. I really appreciate these vids. It breaks it down to the elementary level. A place where a lot of people need to go back to and start over. Myself included.

12. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Good rant. Here's some fuel for it. A couple of years ago I read a piece on an IT expo somewhere, and one of the whiz-bang displays was a big screen showing footage of an orchestra. You, the user, got a special laser baton. You’re the conductor. The spiel was ‘put yourself in the music!’ and so on. The way it worked was that if you waved the baton faster, the orchestra played faster. If you waved it in wider sweeps, they played louder.

As the reviewer said: a speed control. Wow.:rolleyes: A volume control. Wow.:rolleyes: ‘cause that’s all conductors do, right? Control speed and volume!!!:wow::naughty:

The reviewer rightly pointed out that you could learn more about music with a couple of rocks. Concepts such as rhythm and dynamics. Syncopation. Etc. If you sang along while you banged the rocks you could learn a whole lot of other stuff, too.:D

Apparently the gee-whizz orchestra on a screen thing was booked for tours of museums and schools as an ‘educational exhibit’. Well, I suppose it’s educational in the sense that it shows how fucking stupid we can be.

13. guitarEd

guitarEd Senior Member

ok, so how do you download the vids from youtube to your computer???

ed

14. sliding tom

15. guitarEd

guitarEd Senior Member

Thanks Tom

ed

16. specflec

specflec Senior Member

Thanks for this. I hope a few folks who have been having trouble getting their arms around "theory" will benefit. Just because you don't get it in less than three heartbeats, doesn't mean it's useless and you don't need it.

17. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

A symptom of the times we live in I'm afraid specflec.
    The saving grace is that there a few young uns out there willing to learn and take their time doing the apprenticeship and they will be the ones who will get the work ten years down the line from now.
    A classic case is of a young ( 18 years old ) guy I teach.. He did it the hard way.. He's been coming to me for years now and going to jam nights and we have covered a great many styles and theory. He's a lovely blues player, but can also switch at the drop of a hat to playing Chet Atkins stuff and again switch to a classical piece or latin rhythms.
    He started college this year and I gauranteed him he would be in demand.
    He came to me some months ago and said "Phil you were dead right"
    "The college is full of widdlers, but none of them can play anything else and most are crappy at rhythm and know hardly any chords. I am being asked to work with all the vocalists and do their sessions in the college studio with them. I am also involved with a blues band. A duo and quite a few other things".

The kid deserves it .. He's a great player and I take my hat off to him putting in all that effort and not being blinkered.

18. Dragonsarc

Dragonsarc Member

awesome clips phil

19. sliding tom

I have watched all through the melody, rhythm and harmony parts and this is some of the best I've seen regarding this topic. It's great for beginners, entertaining for folks who even aren't interested in music much and insightful for people who are already advanced. The way Mr. Goodall dissects the various ingredients that make up music and puts them together again to paint a complete picture is excellent for teaching beginners and I will pick up some of it.

20. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Spot on Sliding Tom. He puts it in a way that is not boring or high brow.
    Personally I think it's very well thought out and put together.