So why are the GFS pickups so inexpensive?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by GerryL98, Jan 31, 2009.

1. SuiteAmpCo

SuiteAmpCo Senior Member

I get that and kudos to him for actually using the search, but why bring this back? I don't know, I guess I'm just having a bad day for this to bug me so much. Its just that I use this forum more as a learning tool than I do a discussion tool. I like to read most of the interesting threads, when they don't get bumped off the front page by stuff like this I will actually remember, "hey I wanted to read what people had to say on that subject".
    I think I would have rather he started a thread saying, "I have a baritone guitar, any pickups suggestions?, I've heard about GFS are they any good for a baritone guitar?" Then I think I stood a chance to learn something about baritone guitar pickups. And also not have threads I was waiting to read get bumped for this old rehashed discussion. But like I said maybe its just my mood today. Sorry guys.

2. slp

slp Junior Member

well how do ya do. thanks for the welcome.
    I'll work on not restarting annoying threads:)
    my post was very specific and I can't seam to find a pm or I would have.

3. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

Today I reiceived a strat set of 1959 pro series vintage wound. Installed and till now they're sounding very, very good. Very close to the fender cs54's that are on the same guitar. Only the bridge pup have a biger output and is sounding louder. But the overal carachter is the same. The construction also is very good. Both are identical, fiber base, formvar wire, polepieces, cover etc.
    Maybe the differences can be bigger on a high end guitar, but in the strat I tried they 99 close.

1 person likes this.
  4. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

sorry man can't have that out there for all time with google free to spit it out as a possible search result & some poor bastard read it & think it's a good idea to get some cause the CS54's are too expensive & think theyll get close to the same sound without some sort of counterpoint :thumb:

close as in they both sound like single coils as opposed to hum buckers maybe but they're worlds apart really.

and I rock artec pickups in a strat & they're tops for their application so I'm down with the cheap stuff :)

slp you bump as many old threads with a new question as you like champ.
    but a big part of that Dano sound is down to the construction too not just the pickups

http://cgi.ebay.com/150749218735

1 person likes this.
  5. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

ARTEC makes em all:slash: forgive me if this info was already posted,i did not read through the whole thread.

UPDATE: DAMNED OLD BUMPED THREAD! FEEL FOR IT AGAIN!:mad::mad2::D

6. Luka_Luka!

Luka_Luka! Senior Member

At first I was like "people still talk about GFS pickups?" but then I saw the OP date and I was like "ohhhhh"

7. slp

slp Junior Member

Got my gfs lipsticks and push pull pot.

I like the lipsticks, though wish the wiring was waxed like the om pickups. Never realized how handy that is for not burning your wiring on accident.

The push pull pot feels like crap but works.

Pups sound great in series on my baritone mmm1. This is my first mod so stoaked it worked and came out not sounding like crap. Wish I had recorded the og pups to ab though the reduction in boom in my baritone is easily apparent.

cheers

Here's a link to a few jams with the sound and style I'm using. Just a drummer and I. Monster Walker | San Francisco, CA | Other | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

8. buckman

buckman Member

I really like the fat PAF from GFS. I just put a set of their premium alnico 5 overwounds in my latest strat build today. I also changed out all the pots and the cap, used 50s wiring, and wired the bridge pup to a tone pot. Quite nice. Unfortunately, they did not come in time to get them in before yesterdays practice. But I like them quite a bit. Big improvement over the stock MiM ceramics.

9. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

Yeah I love my GFS equipped guitars but I made the mistake of ordering their "alpha quality" (hint: not actual alpha) push pulls ONCE. Never again, they're scratchy, crappy pots. Order the real thing from amplified parts nowadays.