So why are the GFS pickups so inexpensive?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by GerryL98, Jan 31, 2009.

1. WolfeMacleod

WolfeMacleod V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Does anyone have any direct contact for Jay? I'd really like to ask him to stop using the "Mean" moniker for P-90's...which I've been using since before GuitarFetish was started...in 2004....

2. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

Catch is they're cheap pickups with a he'll of a lot of marketing spin.
    For every 1 comment about GFS customer "service" I'll give you 5 who received nothing more than a shit eatin grin as they took their money.

If these had some no name or Asian company sounding name no one would give them the time of day.

3. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I've been dealing with Jay since 2008, buying low cost parts to repair low cost guitars and because of that, I don't think this statement is true at all.

That or I've been INCREDIBLY LUCKY... :naughty:

79standard likes this.
  4. Thundergod

Thundergod Senior Member

I've been buying parts from GF for 3 years the same purpose (replacements for cheap guitars) and have not had any problem yet... they did send a trem arm that didn't fit the trem one time but they sent the replacement part for free once I told them about it.

I have had no problems and every client has been happy so far, both with their pickups and their hardware.

5. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Over the past 5 years I've ordered a couple sets of pickups - which work fine, a pick guard, a bridge, and some other small items. No problems. He's responded quickly to e-mail questions. I've got no significant issues with their site, their products or their service.

That being said... I do take issue with some of the text on their site. It ranges from being pretty accurate but exaggerated; to being just outlandish. I think they could tone it down a little bit and it would be better.

But, the value for the dollar is there. As I said earlier in this thread, I'll take the Fat PAF (as it was called when I got mine 5 years ago) any day over the DiMarzio Tone Zone I replaced it with. It still sounds great. I don't, however like it better than the DiMarzios in my Music Man EVH or the Manlius Fat Dianes I have in my LP. But that difference isn't night and day and arguably, the Fat Dianes are a different style of pickup.

I won't carry GFS's (Guitar Fetish's) water for them. I'm sure they've shipped a dud here and there. But for me, they deliver value. I'm glad they aren't the only game in town. But when it's reasonable to do so, I patronize their store and haven't been burned yet.

6. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

Their pickups are absolutely nothing like a good set of boutique pups, that is a fact. I have their strat pickups, tele pickups, Crunchy PATS, Alnico IIs... The AIIs are real nice, not as clear as the set of Seymour Duncan's I installed in a LP but way better than other pickups.

Their crunchy PAT pups are ceramic PAFS. How they got away with such a thing escapes me, but they're ok-ish at best. The AIIs are sweet, my favorite GFS set. Their Strat pickups are ok, but the "vintage" sets are real nice. Their Bridge Tele pup is real, real nice, the neck lipsticks are just ok.

That's my experience.

Now, they do sell a lot of things that are JUNK. What bothers me is the BS the guy writes for every little thing. He apparently installs "a ton of these" in virtually every guitar known to mankind, and still, he never noticed those bridges didn't fit USA teles, he never found out some of the brass saddles had the wrong string spacing... but hey, he installed a lot all over the place... SURE....

He sells a lot of absolute JUNK and there's no warning, no comment, and if you complain there's no actual explanation but "I'll help you get a replacement". When you check the product page again, still, no comment, no concern, no warning, nothing... swept under the rug... I find that dishonest, and bad business practice.

I think GFS is a good value if you want real cheap stuff, but you still have to pay $10 for shipping. I prefer the economy stuff at StewMac, lower shipping rates and they get here faster. And, my favorite, if I call StewMac the won't try to hide the crap, they have a first rate customer service and people who know what they're talking about.

7. Thundergod

Thundergod Senior Member

I've bought from stewmac too and the only problem I have with them is they won't use USPS priority mail to ship to my country but DHL which will charge me almost as much (and sometimes more) for shiping than the parts actually cost.

I ordered from them 3 times, the first I needed the parts ASAP, they were a schaller roller bridge and a schaller fine tuning tailpiece for a les paul... they got here in a week or less, but the total for the parts was $120, DHL charged 45 for shipping and then they claimed I had to pay $79 in taxes... I explained those articles didn't have to pay tax UNLESS: they weighted more than 8Kg (which they didn't even come close) and their cost was above $400 (which, again, they didn't even come close to).

I think StewMac sells better stuff, but their international shipping policy sucks.

Anyway... does anyone have a dream 90 and a dream 180? I want to install both on a guitar (90 for the neck, I love SCs in the neck) and the 180 for the bridge... is that a good combo? Will the not be balanced?

Are the dream 180s coilt splitable?

8. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

I don't know about the 180, but their P90s are very good. I bought a couple P90s from them for a little guitar I'm building, I didn't even think about Seymour or Gibson, and I could have bought from either one. I love the GFS P90s.

But keep in mind pickups are a matter of taste, so you should try to demo one if you possibly can or make sure you can return it if you don't like it.

9. Phildog

Phildog Senior Member

I totally agree. And after using them, I think they're great pups. I now have them in my LP and my Strat.

Cheap in price doesn't always mean cheap in quality.

10. blamo

blamo Senior Member

i just put a mean 90 in my LP bridge today and i'm quite happy with the result.

will probably do the neck pick up later this week when i have a chance.

for the price paid, i'm more than happy.

11. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I have a set of pair of GFS lipstick tube neck humbuckers in my Ibanez MMM1 baritone. I wanted to be able to sort of cop the sound of an old Danelectro baritone. Since the GFS neck lipstick humbuckers split to about the same output as a real lipstick tube single coil, I figured that would be a good choice. They do sound pretty good, a lot more definition in humbucking mode over the original pickups which is good for a baritone, plus they sound pretty authentic split. Maybe a little more mids and not as hollow sounding as a real Dano, but the guitar is solid mahogany, not a hollow masonite guitar so that is probably the source of the extra midrange.

79standard likes this.
  12. LesPauI+SG=Win

LesPauI+SG=Win Senior Member

I have a set of Crunchy PATs in my Epi SG. I love them. Huge improvement over the stock garbage. I am not saying that there are not better pickups out there, but I am satisfied. I will keep them in there. No need to pay more money for "better" pickups in my opinion. For that guitar anyway.

Who knows, I may try a set of their humbucker sized P90's just for giggles.

13. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Senior Member

Indeed...and they aren't even close to the USA mass produced pickups. Side by side they pale in comparison.

To the person asking about Dream 180 pickups...the worst pickups I have ever had. I sold the set for $30 and I still felt a bit guilty.

14. GuitarToneFreak

GuitarToneFreak Senior Member

How come? I can't find too many reviews on the 180's, so I'm curious as to why you didn't like them, I need all the reviews I can get :)

15. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

That really depends on which USA mass produced pickups you are referring to. For some I'd say, "sure". For others, "no way".

Case in point, I had 2 DiMarzio Tone Zones that I tried in 3 different guitars over 7 years. I never bonded with them. Ultimately I never liked the TZ.

Replaced it with a GFS Fat PAF and like that pickup tons better than the TZ it replaced. Been playing it for 5 years now and haven't regretted a thing. In fact, someone was playing my guitar the other night and said, "That's a really nice pickup. What is it?" I almost lied, but I told them it was a GFS and I'm not sure they knew how to react.:hmm::wow::fingersx:

Been giving some thought to replacing both pickups in that guitar. The other pickup is a DiMarzio Air Norton that I like well enough. I don't see myself replacing them with GFS's. But I may not even replace them.

There's no accounting for people's personal experiences and tastes, but a lot of the blanket statements made in this thread just don't ring true for me.

79standard likes this.
  16. LesPauI+SG=Win

LesPauI+SG=Win Senior Member

Today, my Power Rail's bridge and Fat Pat neck pickup arrived. They will be going in a set neck explorer build. That look killer! I can't wait to get that thing together. :naughty:

17. Cap'n Greenfog

Cap'n Greenfog Member

I've been wondering for quite some time now- Any opinions about which GFS pups most closely compare to the SD Hotrodded HB set. My friend has the JB/JAZZ combo in his LP. I wish to emulate, but am low on cash.

18. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

So, wait a little bit longer and get a SD set second-hand when your cashflow comes back. There are plenty out there, costing 'bout hundred bucks tops, most probably less, postal expenses paid.

79standard likes this.
  19. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Sorry, can't help you with that comparison. They probably have something that's close(ish). I would E-mail Guitar Fetish to get their opinion.

I tend to agree with the post that followed yours though. If you are after a specific tone from a specific set of pickups, regardless of what those pickups are, your best bet is to go after that set of pickups. In the long run you probably won't be as satisfied with anything else.

Good luck.

20. Number6

Number6 Senior Member

Agreed.

I've tried about 10 different GFS pickups and I hated every one. And if you ask why I bought so many...they are cheap and many people seem to like them so I've given several types a go assuming they can't all be crap.
    Wrong, it seems. They all ended up taken out and sold on via eBay. They just seem cheap and nasty to me.
    And before you assume I'm snobby and influenced by the expensive 'boutique' thing, consider that I've also disliked and rejected plenty of expensive 'famous' pickups (including Duncans, Gibsons, Kinman, and several expensive handmade ones) yet I've been perfectly happy with several Mighty Mite offerings which are even cheaper than GFS.

And I agree with people taking the GFS claims and 'descriptions' with a huge dash of salt. It often borders, and occasionally lands directly in, the realm of dishonesty.
    Although, having just checked, I see he's eased off a lot, and he's stopped claiming that 'my local music shop is selling these pickups for X-hundred dollars'...or whatever it was exactly he used to say.
    Someone must've gone and looked.