So, what lick or song are you practicing?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by RandyRhoadsLesPaul, Aug 20, 2015.

1. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Today I'm thinking of "Tears In Heaven" an acoustic reggae stylization. It's turning out to be a lot of fun & really
    testing my rhythmic abilities.

Sct13 likes this.
  2. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

Right now I'm practicing pinch harmonics in Am & Em, I think I got the hang of it. It's funny because 2 1/2 years ago I practiced this religiously and could never get it down and then today while I was practicing, I was hitting them all over the place, not just the easy ones but the hard ones too. I'm pretty happy about it, can't wait to sprinkle these into some of my lead guitar.

Sct13 likes this.
  3. Liquid State

Liquid State Premium Member

ZZ's "Just Got Paid". tricky alternate picking on main lick and then plenty of slide work

Sct13 likes this.
  4. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Lots of Judas Priest. "Running Wild" and the rhythm for "White Heat, Red Hot"

Also Battleaxe (NWOBHM) "Shout it Out "

Sct13 likes this.
  5. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

Right now I'm practicing from the 15th fret up to the 22nd fret in Am. Easier than I thought, all my licks from the top of the neck translate at the bottom of the neck. It is kind of tight, that's the only thing. Theoretically it should be much easier to play once I get the muscle memory down since everything is smooshed together. I'm used to using all four of my fingers at the top of the neck but at the bottom of the neck that's impossible so I'm using fingers 1-2-3, rarely use my pinky.

6. Lebond

Lebond Member

Recently I've been playing about with Led Zeps 'Ramble on'. Have managed to get the main rhythm parts down, now just need to add in the lead bits :jam:

7. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Well last song I was practicing was Despacito :D
    It is fun to play the vocals line on electric guitar... This is the version I liked most and learned to play:

8. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

I'm currently taking an Improv Class trying to figure out how to do my own thing...

It's confusing because we are actually writing out our solos...so is it really improvising???

LiveSimply likes this.
  9. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Currently doing arrangements of 'Misty', 'If I Were a Bell' and 'Lullaby of Birdland' for a jazz gig next month. Guitar and a singer. Lots of voice leading practice - good for my walking bass chops and harmony in general, although nothing too hard, thank goodness.

10. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

I've got an acoustic gig next month, so working on the set for that.
    So far we've got this list:

Time After Time (a la Eva Cassidy)
    Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)
    Across The universe (Beatles)
    Take It Easy (Eagles)
    Tiny Dancer (Elton John)
    Black Horse & The Cherry Tree (KT Tunstall)
    Willin' (Linda Ronstadt)

We've only got a half hour to fill, so I think we're nearly there.

LiveSimply likes this.
  11. Wolfie

Wolfie Junior Member

Sultans of Swing, money riff, starts with two up strokes e then B string on each section.
    GNR - Sweet Child riff, starts with up stroke followed by alternating picking..
    Feels awkward at first starting on the up-stroke, but works well in the end result.

12. SloeGin

SloeGin Senior Member

Working on some basic solo's but I still struggle to nail 'em ... damn i suck :(

Hey Joe - Hendrix
    Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
    You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
    Paranoid - Black Sabbath

13. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

I'm probably spending most of my time on the acoustic primarily learning three songs:

Jack and Diane
    Against the Wind
    Patience

Brown Eyed Girl (just trying to get that song's opening lick in time and sounding better. I have a heard time hitting all the double stops as I should)

On the electric I'm just trying to better my ear a bit while practicing lead improv to backing tracks in Am and Dm.

14. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

Let us know how it turns out. That sounds interesting. Though writing it out doesn't sound like improv, I'm sure that it does make you think more intently about the importance of the underlying music and of hitting proper cord tones as you solo along. I'm sure you'll get something good out of it.