So this is on the way...

Discussion in 'Fender' started by LeftyF2003, Apr 20, 2017.

1. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

I can't even say this is the last one as I have another Tele being built, but this is on the way to me for Friday delivery. Can't wait! Squire Classic Vibe 50s.

[​IMG]

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Go, Lefty!

Funny, I was thinking of you earlier while I was looking on Reverb.com.

Saw a couple lefty Les's and other stuff. Wondered if you knew, figured you did!

Enjoy the snot out of that thing! It looks fun just sitting there in the pic!

HeartString and LeftyF2003 like this.
  3. Razzle

Razzle Senior Member

Those Squire CV's are kicking guitars for the money! Congrats!

LeftyF2003 likes this.
  4. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Your gonna flipp'n love it! I got one too. You've probably seen it. Got the best neck in town, and stays
    In tune forever!

LeftyF2003 likes this.
  5. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

Congrats! Mine gets played all the time. The stock pickups aren't bad but I put a set of Don Mare Don0casters in it and it sounds killer! I changed the pickguard to a black bakelite guard and I also got a white one which is on there now. I didn't like the thicker plastic stock guard.

[​IMG]

Benjammin and LeftyF2003 like this.
  6. LPMarshall Hack

LPMarshall Hack Senior Member

7. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

Cool beans!

8. LeftyF2003

Yes, very much looking forward to it. the only changes I'll make are shielding the back of the pick guard with copper tape and turning the controls around so the switch is in the back and the volume is near the neck. I much prefer that setup as it's easier to get to the volume and I no longer accidentally hit the pickup switch. Once I confirm it can back fill my #1 I'm sending that one out to get stainless steel frets. The way I play I bend so much I eat frets up very quickly. Ultimately this one will get the same once I've worn them (and my fingers) to the nubs :laugh2:

9. LeftyF2003

The brown truck came and dropped it off Today. The box was completely undamaged
    [​IMG]

And the guitar came in without a scratch

[​IMG]

The only thing I've changed so far is to grind the bridge screws down so they don't extend out the barrels. The only other thing I'll do is turn the controls around and make the pots turn the right way (righty tighty). I hate left handed wired pots!

kevinpaul, Benjammin and HeartString like this.
  10. LeftyF2003

Here it is ready for live work. I backed the pick guard with copper tape, turned the controls around and added a much needed pinup girl decal. It's doing 3 one hour sets tonight. Should be killer!
    [​IMG]

kevinpaul and Benjammin like this.
  11. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

I love Tele's and that Classic Vibe is a beauty!! Nice get Lefty!! You've already got the mojo rising!!

LeftyF2003 likes this.
  12. LeftyF2003

And the 2 Teles hanging out in some better light
    [​IMG]

kevinpaul likes this.
  13. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

Very nice Telecaster brother!

LeftyF2003 likes this.
  14. LeftyF2003

And here's an attempt at a panorama shot of my living room / rehearsal room. Don't mind the clutter!

[​IMG]

15. LeftyF2003

Update on the CV Tele. I preface this with yes, I made some wiring changes but - tried to play the guitar at a gig last night and the volume pot went intermittent (??!!). I may have overheated the pot making the wiring changes, but I had the iron set to the same temp I used to do the other Tele (and all my other guitars) so either these pots are very heat sensitive or (more likely) they are complete crap. TBH the pots, cap jack and switch all seem very cheap so I've ordered replacements for all and will be re-wiring this thing next week. I'm also replacing all wire and swapping the tuners for locking (the tuners are OK but I hate changing strings on slot heads). Great guitar but beware working under the hood!

16. viking20

viking20 Senior Member

I would check the heat on that iron , or the time yo apply heat
    Those pots arent bad
    The switch should always be replaced , IMO
    I have 4 of these guitars , all equipped with four way switches , and electrosockets for the jack
    Stock pots in all of them

17. LeftyF2003

Interesting. Could be it got too hot or I just got a bad pot. My experience has been that sometimes you just get a bad one...

18. viking20

viking20 Senior Member

If you are quick with your soldering , the heat wont be an issue. More pots are wrecked by having too little heat , and applying it for too long. If you use heat long enough , even a CRL or OAK switch will fall apart.........
    I know you have only re-arranged wires in yours , but it can be a good idea to remove the casing on new pots , only takes five seconds to do. Then , after lightly sanding , and degreasing the casing , its easy to apply a decent blob . Soldering after that on the assembled pot only takes a second or so
    Many , many pots are ruined from heat when soldering

19. LeftyF2003

Good advice. I'll definitely do that when I build the new harness. I have all top shelf parts on the way
    to replace all the wiring, pots, switch, cap and output jack (as well as locking Schaller tuners). Otherwise I love the pickups and the guitar plays great.

20. LeftyF2003

New parts came in and the harness went together without a hitch. CTS pots, Fender 3 way, Switchcraft output jack, orange drop cap and replacement wiring. All back together and working great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had also picked up a set of HipShot locking tuners for it, but I didn't realize the tuner bushings were glued in. Rather than risk melting the finish heating them out (or chipping the finish pounding them out) I'm going to get used to the slotted tuners and use them on the Tele my friend is building for me. I also kind of like the way the 50s style tuners look on the guitar so all good.

Last edited: May 25, 2017