So, I have found my dream top, but I feel I need to do something.

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by L96A1, Jul 26, 2017.

1. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Nice LP! I love the finishes on the late 90's - early 2000's.

I have a friend who's been playing LP's since 1977 when he bought his first. He mainly has/had countless 70's - 80's LP's. He just recently acquired an R7 and now an R8 and has been complaining both guitar are "soft" sounding with audibly less "bite" up high. Not the rock machines he's used to. I've myself have only been in the game since 1985 when I bought my first, a '74 GT Deluxe and have also noticed this phenomenon with the Historic line.

For example, I recently changed out a heavy nickel tail piece to a light weight aluminum on a '92 prehistoric. Immediately the bite was diminished.

I had a '95 Classic LP that I put '57 Classic/Classic + in and that guitar had tons of bite. So I don't think it's your pickups.

My R8 (avatar) was really bad with less bite and no sustain up high. However since I had it re-fretted and a "maple flame mod" done it did a 180 and is very "bitey" up high with sustain for days?

I think it's because Historic LP's tend to be more resonant, not focused. Somewhere along the way I think bite gets affected too. I've seen some guys confuse bite with high end. Not the same. Apparently these guitars tend to be less aggressive when compared their heavier USA, Norlin siblings.

I think the lightweight aluminum tail piece has more high end but less bite. I also think if the studs for the bridge are not deep enough and touching wood on the other end then bite/sustain can be diminished. Just some observations.

For giggles put a heavier tail piece on and report back with your findings.

2. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

Thanks for going into the length regarding my concern, I happen to have a tailpiece made in Brass, will try it out after I swap the pots.
    I have not tried LPs older than the 90s, actually most of them don't lack the bite I was referring to, and this LP is in the same weight range as my other LPs, so it confuses me.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  3. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

wow, that thing is just stunning, really

L96A1 likes this.
  4. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Where is the relief set on the neck? Sometimes too much will take away bite, sustain up past the 12th fret. I find Gibson's unlike Fender's don't like too much relief.

If you google this problem (lack of bite or less sustain past 12th fret) you will see many have had these same issues. Unfortunately in most cases it is a Gibson.

That guitar is stunning. If I was you I would invest to get it dialed in.

Look into the maple flame mod too. Some LP's really need that.

5. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

Thanks I do intend to dig its potential, wisely with you guys help.:),guess we all hope it's more than just a pretty face.

I still haven't taken it for a proper set up, from my eyes the neck is pretty straight.
    It has a slightly bent abr, the 6th string saddle is out of position. And the screws of the abr are slight bent backwards, yes, not forward. Strange.
    So I will take it for a proper set up, change the screws, then change the pots myself so I can tell the difference before and after changing the pots. Then try another tailpiece when the strings need to go.

6. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Jesus Christ. Where are the Kleenex when you need them. That's a stunner.

L96A1 likes this.
  7. Pythonman

Pythonman Senior Member

Please rewire in the 50s wiring version for best results. Places like Marks Guitar Loft sell prewired 50s harnesses with vintage PIO bumblebee caps that are drop in ready with the best 500k audio taper pots and should really wake things up.

L96A1 and RAG7890 like this.
  8. baileyboy1

baileyboy1 Member

Congrats. Amazing too for sure, and the color is fantastic.

If you're looking for an improvement in tone, pickups and wiring are your best bet.

You may actually want to start with wiring first to see if new pots and caps open up the tone for you. These guys do great work. Call them at and tell them what you're trying to achieve and they can point you to a good wiring harness upgrade. I'm not affiliated with them in any way...just familiar with their products.

http://www.tonemanguitar.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

L96A1 and Pythonman like this.
  9. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Senior Member

Amazing top with real deal 16-year old ageing. I won't touch a thing except for upgrading the harness, pots, caps and pickups. The only reason to send it to HM would be to get the neck reduced. OK, maybe a nice BRW board and a sheathless truss rod I'd keep the finish as it is.

Naw, I'd just play it, man.

Nice top. Very nice top.

L96A1 likes this.
  10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

That is one amazing looking guitar. The top is beautiful.
    If you are truly going to take that one to the grave.
    I would recommend sending it to HM. If that type of option is in your budget, and you really intend to keep it forever. I promise you they will make it feel even better. As far as tone? They can try out and recommend pickups.
    But in terms of "feel"? I honestly don't think there is anything else like it other than a 50's Les Paul. Or and equally skilled luthier who can accomplish the same results.

L96A1 likes this.
  11. Farquad

Farquad Senior Member

I'm late to the party, but congrats on your R9. Wow what a top!!!

L96A1 likes this.
  12. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

a good setup to your likings can change a lot. I have a friend I used to trade some of the early CCs with to and fro and he always made compliments about the way I set up my guitars. I really appreciated it because he's a pro and a real good on to boot. A proper setup will increase the sustain all over the FB and will make bendings way easier.

One has to work on it a little and I needed to understand what is happening technically when I dial here or there. Little steps though but it's fun too and I like to solve problems on my own

L96A1 likes this.
  13. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

I do most of the setups myself now after I go to the pros many times, except the bridge, among 2/3 of my guitars, the saddle needed adjustment as the bass strings often bend the bridge, I still leave this to the pro. Otherwise I tweak myself.

Sharky likes this.
  14. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

You are correct.. That is a killer top!

15. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

So I made an appointment with a guitar workshop, unfortunately it was raining hard.
    Today I sent the kid away for a few days so I tried myself to repalce the harness. I have a pair of luxe bees, 8 CTS 500K pots(turned out 4 of them read 460k). After about an hour, I made a mess of our table, got myself a new harness and a pissed wife.:mad2:
    Plug it in, it feels like a new set of strings. The darkness went away, though it still feels a little “soft” on the mids.
    Not a good solder but I’m OK with not burning anything.:fingersx:
    IMG_2603.JPG
    FullSizeRender 9.jpg

Attached Files: