small practice amp reccomendations?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Iceman0124, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I'm in the market for a small bedroom amp, right now I'm thinking the voxDA-15, the 5 is really neat, but it wont be a travel amp, I'm planning on just keeping it in one spot, so the exta power and larger speaker would be a good trade off,especially for the only $20 price difference. I'm looking for 5-20 watts,10" or smaller speaker, and decent digital effects in the $150 and lower range(lower is better) . Thanks.

2. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

3. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

check my thread on the roland micro-cube though small it has that big sound without having to be loud .. not tinny at all as you expect in a small amp

4. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I saw that, the upcoming vox's look very promising, I posted a link to them in your microcube thread last night VOX DA10 Digital Amplifier, Elderly has them on preorder for $199, shipping early july, 10 watts plugged in with 2 6.5" speakers, the DA 20 has 20 plugged in and 2 8", both run at 5W or lower on battery.

5. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I picked up a DA15, and I dont know if its just the honeymoon period right now, but if it was 50 or more watts, I'd ditch my marshall JTM60 in a heartbeat, there are so many usable sounds out of this box, that I got new on clearance for 80 bucks. Its so much more dynamic than my marshall, even on the high gain models, with the gain dimed, picking response is off the charts , its also quite loud for its size, and even at low volume, the sounddoesnt lose its balls at all untill you get to near whisper levels. The effects are fun, though a little quirky at times, I havent messed with them much, and its one of the few amps that I've used that I actually like playing clean without any reverb. If I'm still so enamored with this amp after a month, I'm probably gonna sell of the marshall and snag one of this bad boys bigger brothers. I havent seriously played though anything other than my marshall in years, that may have something to do with it, I spose I also jazzed that I found something I like that doesnt cost 3 arms and four legs. The 15 is simialr to the 5, its has a larger speaker, and you also have loads more tonal control, and 3 parameters for each effect setting, though as stated, the effects are just window dressing in my opinion. My only complaint, and I think this true of the larger models as well, is you only have 2 slots for custom settings, which is kind of a bummer considering all the useful combinations you can crate. Anyone looking for a small practice amp or even a beginners amp, the DA's are amazing for the money, I accidentally killed about 6 hours straight just noodling around with it tonight/morning, which hasnt happend to me in quite awhile just playing by myself.