Small (5"-6") monitors vs good stereo speakers?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by hbucker, May 24, 2017.

1. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I'm thinking the major difference is the need for aux amplification with stereo speakers, and the extra space required in the work area.

What else is the advantage of actual 'studio monitors'? - Assuming the stereo speakers are decent and have a reasonably flat response.

Thanks

2. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

"Studio Monitor" is a buzzword. Some of the crappiest speakers I've ever heard say "STUDIO MONITOR" on them. Don't get me wrong - Some of them aren't so bad.

If you have high-quality stereo speakers and you're comfortable using them, use them. If they don't work out, start looking at Equators of something.

hbucker likes this.
  3. DarrellV

DarrellV 1 Year old and 8K this month or bust! Premium Member

As a followup to what John said I just wanted to add that if you do go with good stereo speakers or monitors one of the biggest tricks is to tune your ears to them.

I was advised when I first got my set of monitors to play some of my favorites that I knew really well to hear how they sounded coming out of the monitors.

Play a variety and if your hearing is up to the task of producing music, you will hear differences in the finished sound of each disk you play.

You can also play with songs that sound like what you are trying to produce and that way you will know if your mix is close when you are evaluating...

Just my 2 cents...

hbucker likes this.
  4. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

What Darrell said - which is why the correct terminology is not 'studio' monitor but REFERENCE monitor.

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Oh sure...that goes for any speaker....no matter how great or not so great they are. You have to get to know them. Even when I go to a big "A list" studio I will often bring my own speakers as reference with me. I know them and that's what counts.

DarrellV likes this.
  6. DarrellV

DarrellV 1 Year old and 8K this month or bust! Premium Member

Thanks Freddy!

I'm not in the big leagues with you and John, but it seemed like good advise so I ran with it.