Slash's guitar's neck profiles...

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Alekseriator, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Alekseriator

Alekseriator Senior Member

What do all Slash's guitars have for a neck profile?

2. w00dsy

w00dsy Member

big, very big.

3. MXR

MXR Member

slash signature les pauls have slim profile neck

4. Fracture

Fracture Senior Member

Somewhere in between.

5. PeteyPablo

PeteyPablo Senior Member

It's funny you ask this to 100 people and get 100 different answers. Even Gibson cant/wont answer it. I just know that I love it and wish I could send any Les Paul to Gibson to get that neck. It's the most comfortable 'for me'.

6. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

7. bullpentherapy

bullpentherapy Senior Member

thanks for the info here! also is the case that comes with the usa the same case you get with any newer style usa paul? the handle and outer skin looks a little different?

8. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

and does this profile give you the famed "Slash - Tone" or any of his chops?

9. dennistruckdriver

Click the link....

10. bullpentherapy

i ask because, when i click on the link, the thumbnails 4 and 6 have different handles to the case, check it out! its at the usa gold top les paul thumbnails! the one with the darkback!

11. bullpentherapy

12. dennistruckdriver

13. bullpentherapy

well there are alot of reason's, the money for one, two a signature guitar ehh idont know, etc. etc. but on the other hand , the specs are great and value in time will skyrocket if youre a collector!

14. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

In the same breath, Gibson typifies Slash's original neck (and the one they're modeling this guitar on) as a compromise between a 50's and a '60's. That's not "thin".

We may have covered this before (and I think there may be some real data on this out there), but I think that most 50's necks are in the 1" depth (fretboard to the back of the neck where your thumb rests) range with not a lot of taper. The thinner necks drop into the 22mm (25.4mm is one inch) to 23mm range. I think someone mentioned that the Jimmy Page neck on one of his guitars was actually thicker at the 1st fret, tapering to around 20mm somewhere around the 8th fret and then going thicker again as it moved toward the 14th fret, etc. I think that's unusual for a Gibson.

A *thin* neck is probably something like what I've got on one of my guitars -- it's 17mm at the first fret, tapering to 20.5mm at the 12th. That's moving toward Ibanez Wizard territory.

SHAPE is a whole 'nother matter, of course, with V and boat and C and D shapes changing everything. Taper (does it go from thin to thick, or from thick to thin to thick, or does it stay pretty much the same depth the whole way?) and asymmetrical shapes throw yet another monkey wrench into the works.

For all that Gibson gabbles on about their necks being hand-shaped, any luthier worth his salt will tell you that neck shape is repeatable (and should be) even when formed by hand. Most shapers will not simply pull material in a random or whimsical way (though I know of one classical guitar builder who does 12-14 extremely high-end guitars a year who works by feel) -- they'll work with a series of shape templates as they go.

In any case, I think that if we delegated someone to pick up one of these (cheapass contour gauge) from the local hardware store:

[​IMG]

And measured, then scanned/photographed/traced the resulting contour at, say, the first, fifth and twelfth frets onto quarter-inch graph paper, we could build an accurate library of neck shapes that we could refer to as necessary...

15. Exluthier

Exluthier Senior Member

Jimmy's neck was reshaped to that profile, and I'd say it's an unusual neck for any guitar, not just Gibson.

I think your profile library is a great idea. There was a thread not too long ago where someone took the profiles off a vintage instrument (a junior I think?) and compared it to a RI of the same model. I've got some profiles copied and hidden around somewhere. If I dig them up I'll scan them and post them. They're only taken at the 1st and 12th fret but some of them are interesting.

16. mrtoulouse

mrtoulouse Member

i meassured a slash glodtop's profile roughly using a very primitive set of calibers in a local shop a few months back. it was around 22mm at the first fret, and very gently got fatter towards the 12th fret which was around 23.5. This is a wee tad bigger than most 60's necks Ive had my hands on, but the trick, on this particular example at least, was in the very rounded shoulders, that gave it the feel of a slinkier neck than it really was.
    Personally I shave down all my guitar necks to be around 20mm's pretty much consistently thoughout the 1st to 12th fret :)

As for the Jimmy Page profile, I have actually seen somewhere that it tapered to as little as 18mm around the 8th fret . Of course I can't recall where now, but I am pretty sure that that's what I read.
    Perhaps someone who owns an example could provide the exact meassurements.

17. nick1962

nick1962 Senior Member

I had one of the slash LP standards, and I have to say I don't think the neck was 'thin' - would say it was somewhere in between thick and thin.

18. >Photi G<

>Photi G< Senior Member

It's a 60's slim taper, right?

19. w00dsy

w00dsy Member

the Slash Epi Gold Top that i played had a fatter neck than my Studio neck, but obviously the Gibby version has a slimmish neck?