Slash named "GLOBAL AMBASSADOR" for Gibson

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by freebyrd 69, Aug 15, 2017.

1. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

That's a self-fulfilling prophecy. They won't play something because it's not popular because they won't play it because it's not popular...

It took GNR a lot of effort to even get MTV to play Welcome to the Jungle, and when they did, at 4am one night, all the sudden they got tons of calls to play it more. Before that, Appetite was not selling that great outside LA.

A vast audience is not ready-made. I guess this used to be understood in the 1960s, but now it's all purely about money. Just like how cable news channels used to be money losers that were subsidized by the entertainment shows, but then they started being forced to try to make a profit and real investigative journalism went by the wayside.

The point is, those with the power and resources have a responsibility to invest in the future, even if it comes at a loss. It's just a shame that the very generations griping about the loss of rock were also the very ones who allowed that responsibility to be shirked...

2. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

What has THAT got to do with his nationality?! All I'm saying is that FACTUALLY he's British (as am I) in reply to the statement that Angus Young (who is Scottish by birth) would not be suitable in the Gibson role because he's not American.

3. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Slash? I find it somewhat.......interesting.
    Not knocking his talent, he can play.... I just don't find him that special....

Like this guy or no, blessed by the King and Gatton...
    [​IMG]
    and packs em out today...around the world...
    [​IMG]

Haw haw haw haw
    [​IMG]
    You should know the rest of these badass Gib players too....and they are badasses....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

If I was in Henry's shoes and I wanted to sell more guitars, I'd roll out a new line of "Slash" guitars and appoint him our global ambassador. Wait a tick...

PermissionToLand likes this.
  5. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

Oh here we go again, a bunch of people with a stick up their ass because there are players other than the one they specifically were influenced by being known for a Les Paul.

"It was a replica."

And? It also was secured for him by his manager when his guitar wasn't sounding good on the tracks. He had previously tried to get Gibson to endorse them and they refused back then, but as soon as he went big they endorsed him and Slash has been playing real Les Pauls since, relegating his Derrig to recording use only. He plays and endorses real Les Pauls. The end.

I don't even understand the comment about him not using Seymour's anymore...considering his signature models come equipped from Gibson with those Seymours.

I also remember the magazine that was mentioned above. I want to say it was Guitar or Guitar Player circa 1990. In it the executive also said that "every time Slash is on MTV we sell 5 Les Pauls." So you guys can attempt to deny it all you want, he brought the guitar back to the mainstream and had a very positive effect on a then floundering Gibson.

People recognize him immediately, even kids. He is still a guitar hero today. My son wants a Les Paul because he loves Slash. He's 10. I am sure he will one day get into Zeppelin and find the amazing that is Page, but that doesn't negate the impact Slash has had on him or many other younger players.

I own Les Pauls because of him, he is my guitar hero, the reason I play. I can literally say his name to anyone and they know who he is, and most can name his guitar or something phonetically similar to a Les Paul.

He's the brand ambassador and for a damned good reason. It's time to move on with your lives and accept the guy has earned it. Some of you may want to read his autobiography because he covers a lot of all the misinformation in this post.

I have been fortunate enough to meet him and he is very humble and grateful for his fans and all it has afforded him. Ever since his heart failure he has really cleaned up his substance abuse, even gave up smoking and has worked to help other artists get clean.

Fantastic guitarist. Fantastic person. Perfect choice for Gibson ambassador.

6. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

^^ Wow...
    Somebody sure does love that Sloosh fella...:laugh2:

7. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

lolz.

if ever there was a forum that knew everything there was to know about Slash,..this is that forum.

I bet you someone here knows his shoe size. :laugh2:

8. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

Size 10

Howard2k and Stevie 202 like this.
  9. Malikon

:laugh2:

ehb likes this.
  10. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

I'd go one further and be willing to bet that he's an occasional member here. I have some pretty strong suspicions on who that could be, but I'm keeping that to myself, in order to respect his right to privacy, as we all maintain to one degree or another.

If he feels the need to reveal himself, he has every right to do so.

11. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

^^

I sure wouldn't if I were him.

The punters here would "Bonamassa" the poor bugger to death

:laugh2:

Scooter2112 and Ed B like this.
  12. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I'm a 10.5, but I am going to start cramming my feet into 10s so that I can better emulate Slash.

13. Malikon

I'm a 12-13 (depending on the shoe)

it's alright though I just need to find an unscrupulous Doctor to remove these toes and I'm gonna be rocking some size 10 Chuck Taylors baby,...YEAH!

14. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

15. LPMarshall Hack

LPMarshall Hack Senior Member

Great players for sure. But nobody (meaning very few) outside the guitar world knows who these people are.

16. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I just did a quick loop around town to cart my girls to and fro. I nixxed my daughter playing Toto/Africa and 8675-three-oh-ni-ee-ine. Hit my spotify and enjoyed mostly Alter Bridge and Slash.

I happen to really enjoy Slash's music from GNR through his solo career and with Myles and the Conspirators. Check out the Max Sessions (acoustic with Myles in Australia) for a little something different (btw, Myles is no slouch, either).

Is he the best? It is impossible to say, music is such a subjective thing. I look at it like wine. If you like it, it is good. If you don't like it, it isn't.

Interestingly, I can hear Slash's influence on Mark Tremonti (Creed/Alter Bridge) in some of the heavier AB stuff.

I eve like some Nickleback, too.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    ehb likes this.
  17. ehb

You're going to hell....

:naughty:

Tone deaf and Malikon like this.
  18. ehb

Do my comments look odd? (not content, Mal)

Looks tiny font and scroll bar.... Odd, but interestingly strange....

EDIT: Never mind. Did a refresh and it skratened out... Oh I sometimes just LOVE the way the Mule does things.... ;)

Tone deaf likes this.
  19. Malikon

yes that's been happening for a couple days when I post. Then I refresh and it fixes it. But yeah I know what you mean.

x.png

like that. :lol:

ehb and Tone deaf like this.
  20. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

Perhaps, but Nickelback had little to do with that...

ehb likes this.