Slash named "GLOBAL AMBASSADOR" for Gibson

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by freebyrd 69, Aug 15, 2017.

1. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

But he aint no 541t Lord.

2. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

I did say 35-50. Sure, some younger, some older, but for the most part, I am quite positive that the vast majority of CS sales fall in that age range.

Scooter2112 likes this.
  3. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

The only other options were Billy Joe Armstrong, or the fat dude from Bowling For Soup.

4. Texas-ArchAngel

Texas-ArchAngel Junior Member

IMHO... I think Mr. Saul Hudson, aka Slash, has grown into his role as an Ambassador of Rock N' Roll (one of the few remaining with the industry like it is currently). Early Gibson® Les Paul Standard 'Burst guitars where a bargain (mid 5 figures) when Slash and Guns hit big in '87/'88. Slash, his Gibson® Les Paul Standard®, Marshall® Amplifier Stacks, and of course his Top Hat where what every kids of the era wanted to be! So every kid that wanted to learn to "play like Slash" went to buy a Les Paul and by the early '90's prices of vintage Les Paul 'Bursts has skyrocketed well into the 6 figure range. I read an article that quotes Gibson® Executive's as saying that the extreme spike in vintage prices, and Gibson's profitability turning around was directly influenced by Slash, Zak Wylde, and a few others who began playing Les Paul's again. Slash has had more "Signature" guitars issued by Gibson, by at least double, than ANY other guitarist.

Yes he was a heathen of Rock N' Roll excess back in the day but everything I have read about him since he cleaned up is great. Myles Kennedy (and many others) have talked about what a constant professional he is, and how he truly has remained a very humble man considering his enormous fame. Before the Guns 'Reunion' he ran his own label, management, promotions, and touring company. He was one of the very few Rock Bands touring with new music, worldwide, with Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators. He has several Grammy's, Multi-Platinum Records, a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and is a member of the Rock N' Roll HOF. Plus he sits on the Board of the Los Angeles Zoo, and has been very involved in multiple charity's. He is also the face of (and Rock God Icon) for Guitar Hero. He lives and breaths Rock N' Roll, Les Paul's and Marshall Amps. Gibson asking him to be their Ambassador is almost a given. Show anyone from age 60 to age 8 a photograph of his. They know who he is and can at least describe his guitar.

So stop hatin' on the man! LoL

5. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

"Early Gibson® Les Paul Standard 'Burst guitars where a bargain (mid 5 figures) when Slash and Guns hit big in '87/'88. Slash, his Gibson® Les Paul Standard®, Marshall®..."

Registered trademarks...all rights reserved

:laugh2:

Wadda maroon...

Malikon likes this.
  6. Rowdymoon

Rowdymoon Senior Member

Wouldn't Angus Young be a better choice?.....just sayin..

guitar_randy and Aussiemodo like this.
  7. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Errr, no. Show his picture to anyone born after 1990 and they'll go, "No clue. Umm, is it Jimi Hendrix?"

Rock is dying, and the sad fact is that the last generation of guitar heroes (Slash, Angus and Cobain) is of no relevance to anyone who isn't receiving membership invitations from AARP.

THDNUT and Rowdymoon like this.
  8. Malikon

Malikon アストロモンスター V.I.P. Member

9. DotStudio

DotStudio Senior Member

I don't think you realize the power of South Park. The under 27 crowd is well aware of Slash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rockstar232007 likes this.
  10. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

"Show anyone from age 60 to age 8 a photograph of his. They know who he is and can at least describe his guitar"

Wrong...unfortunately.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  11. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Not counting his replicas, Slash has probably played/had more LPs, than just about evey "guitar-god" around?

Only makes sense.

Lest ye forget, he's been a Gibson endorsee, since AFD, so was prabably given at least a few guitars for every tour.

12. landguitar

landguitar Senior Member

I agree that there don't seem to be any "new" guitar gods and most "new" or so-called "post rock" music doesn't have much in the way of lead guitar work - it's all the "team" now! - but I totally disagree with the "heyday" comment. You might read this:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bill...chart-beat/7775358/guns-n-roses-tour-earnings

Apparently a lot of folks still think they/he are in their heyday...

Slash is still a guitar hero to most folks that Gibson would sell to and certainly one fully associated with Gibson guitars. Even Joe B. plays other guitars and unfortunately is nowhere near as commercially successful or recognizable in the wider world. Unfortunately - as he truly is a good role model!

Congrats to Slash and best wishes for he and Gibson. I am disappointed that there are folks here that wish ill to Henry and Gibson. We may not like everything they do, but I always hope for their continued growth and success. And I still really enjoy and am proud of the Gibsons - new and old - in my stable!

13. Malikon

Jeff Loomis
    Tosin Abasi
    Ron Jarzombek
    Synyster Gates
    Jack White
    Josh Holmes

heck even Gary Clark Jr or Joe Bonammasa,..or maybe even John Mayer

they're out there,...people just don't really care anymore. And they're not exalted and talked about like the old guys are. They're not looked up to or even really appreciated.
    There are amazing new guitarists out there,...but the magazines and "Fans" still want to talk about Randy Rhoads, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, etc.

Blues/Rock/Metal music in a lot of ways is stuck in the past and isn't being allowed to grow. The Age of the 'Guitar Hero' is over. And if it wasn't over before the Guitar Hero and Rockband games beat it into the ground and made it kind of lame,..it sure is now.

How many years is Hendrix going to win, "Guitarist of the Year" ffs? He's been dead since 1970 yet seemingly year after year my entire life he's won 'Guitarist of the Year'.

It's laughable.

I mean I love Hendrix and appreciate what he did for the instrument,..but it's time to move on.

But we're not moving on. So the instrument and in a lot of ways guitar itself, is languishing.

Howard2k and PermissionToLand like this.
  14. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

1990? Err, no.

How old are you?

I was still in high school when Guitar Hero 3 came out. This one:

[​IMG]

Everyone knew who Slash was. Everyone knew what Guns N' Roses was. Everyone.

You think kids today are so stupid that they don't know Sweet Child O'Mine or Welcome to the Jungle?

No.

Rock is very popular with young people. Always has been. I'm not sure why you think only old farts listen to it.

Rock is dying because new rock isn't successful. New rock isn't successful because people prefer to listen to the old stuff. It's not that people don't listen to rock, it's that people don't listen to the new acts. That's all.

I swear some of the people here seem like they haven't even talked to a teenager in twenty years. In general the only kids who don't listen to rock are the preppiest of the preppy kids.

Even my kid sister, who I posted about a few years back regarding the emotional and cultural shock she experienced when she listened to Led Zeppelin for the first time, now regularly listens to Nirvana and GnR and Ozzy and a bunch of other old bands.

15. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

You need to get out more.

rxbandit and PermissionToLand like this.
  16. Malikon

Preach! Brother Kenobi,..in the name of The Emperor Turnip

tumblr_inline_mteatp7XDZ1qaudqb.png

17. NoRythm_LP

NoRythm_LP Premium Member

"Gibson's target audience is the 35-50 year olds..."

So what you're saying is that my wallet has to support this behavior for another 31 months??!! Good grief I need to go hide my wallet somewhere really good and do it soon... :)

Howard2k and freebyrd 69 like this.
  18. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

So Slash could borrow a few $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to Henry

:lol::lol::lol:

parts, RAG7890 and Malikon like this.
  19. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

They had their chance to sign me in 2011. Now, I play FENDER FENDER FENDER......Gibson can kiss my blood. I'll buy a used wine-red someday.........maybe....
    upload_2017-8-18_18-18-34.png

20. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

I have two teenagers, and the boy only listens to rap. The girl, because I raised her right, listens to classic rock (and contemporary folkies), but all of her friends listen to rap or "urban contemporary."

When I say "rock is dying," I don't mean that it isn't still being made. I know darn well that you can find good bands in local clubs and on indie labels (sometimes), and I do. But as a popular genre, rock's popularity is dying out, like big-band swing did and before that like opera did (yes, opera was once "pop music"). It will never go away, but it increasingly will be a niche market like swing and jazz and classical and bluegrass and flamenco, while the mass taste (that controls what radio stations play) wants nothing but rap and/or auto-tuned glurgy modern "soul."