Slash named "GLOBAL AMBASSADOR" for Gibson

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by freebyrd 69, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Good question.

More importantly, where is the embassy, and can I request asylum there?

KSG_Standard, RAG7890, Donal and 4 others like this.
  2. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

Why not Slash?? He has been loyal to the LP model. I know there are other LP players out there but they all move on to other company's and other guitars. Slash is LP, always has been... I also like the sound he gets out of them, so will be excited to see what comes out of this.

3. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Does this mean the end of Seymour Duncan Slash pickups?

You can't have the Ambassador admitting you can't get Slashtoanz from a stock Gibson.

"Only a Gibson is good enough"

"After you replace the pickups!" :slash:

slash.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  4. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

Dunno, guy looks pretty filthy most of the time.

I wouldn't shake his hand, or stand downwind of him.

Chester Drawers likes this.
  5. Bill Hicklin temp

Bill Hicklin temp Banned

To 90% of the population "Les Paul" is a guitar model, which if they think for a moment they would guess was named after some old forgotten jazz geezer.

Slash, on the same plane as Clapton? The only guys on a plane with Clapton, in terms of public worship, are Hendrix and Page

thatF-INGflyingVguy and RichBrew like this.
  6. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

It's about popularity and association. In that regard there may not be a better match. In any product, with any person.

landguitar and freebyrd 69 like this.
  7. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

I haven't heard anything about this. In the guitar world, it is pretty well known what pickups he used for his iconic sound.

8. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

Yep! You must have read my mind. Was just going to post pretty much the same thing.

Who is the most recent and highly visible Gibson playing rock star? Pretty much...Slash.

Add to that, longevity. Plenty of pics of Slash on stage with an LP (both Gibson and replica) in 1986, and still today in 2017.

9. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

#7. David Bowie Banged Slash's Mom
    Of all the possible reasons for musician rivalries, David Bowie and Slash might have a unique one. It's not that Slash ever called Bowie a has-been, or that Bowie accused Slash of ripping off one his lesser-known alter egos (The Sunglass Wizard). All Bowie did was have tons of sex with Slash's mom when he was a kid.

During the making of The Man Who Fell to Earth, Bowie -- vagabond and satanic sperm incubator -- began a passionate affair with his costume designer. The lady in question was Ola Hudson, a world-famous designer responsible for the looks of other rock luminaries like Ringo Starr and John Lennon. She's also the mother of some guy named Saul Hudson, although we know him better by the punctuation sign he now goes by.

[​IMG]

During an interview in 2012, Slash finally admitted that he absolutely despised Bowie for being his mom's boyfriend. And while their relationship was very mysterious to the press, Slash saw it all. The Duke was all up in their domestic life, including tucking the future hellraiser into bed like he was his eyepatch-wearing stepdad from space. Slash even saw Bowie's Major Tom when he walked in on them during, um, naked wrestling. The guitarist does admit that he always thought Bowie was cool, just not in the "it's cool to bang my mom" kinda way. Admittedly, that was probably a package deal if you wanted to be friends with David Bowie.

Although the whirlwind romance only lasted three years, Ola remained close with Bowie, even asking him to sit down with Slash and give him advice on overcoming his drug addiction early in his career. We're not sure how that conversation started, but it probably ended with some door-slamming and Slash yelling, "You can't tell me what to do! You're not my real dad!"

http://www.cracked.com/article_24887_7-tales-rock-star-sex-debauchery-that-are-pure-wtf.html

amazing how many "famous people" already started out having some kind of connection into the industry. Seems like most of our celebrities and stars already had an in. Not many (if any) truly come from nothing and work their way up these days I guess.

...anyway,..Slashes Mom was kind of hot.

10. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

Slash also visited the Geffen Records offices and met David Geffen as a child. He claims it had nothing to do with them getting signed to Geffen, and he didn't reveal their past encounter to Geffen until after they were signed. YMMV on how true that is.

I don't like to throw around the "privilege" accusation a lot, but it's hard to imagine not going pro if he wanted to. Tremendous ability on the instrument aside, both of his parents worked in the industry (his mother was a costume designer, his father was an album cover designer) and of course he lived with David Bowie for three years. That's a better leg-up than most have.

11. Malikon

yeah I didn't know any of that. I legit thought they were a junkie band of drunks who got famous because they wrote a handful of good rock songs.

It's really interesting how almost every band I dig into,...you find they had some industry connection that got them in. Or a famous parent or friend. Or they just straight up were rich enough to buy themselves into the industry and buy a ton of publicity.

pretty discouraging to anyone poor trying to 'make it' purely on their talents.

seriously though.....Slashes Mom was kind of Hot. :laugh2:

parts and freebyrd 69 like this.
  12. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

seriously though.....Slashes Mom was kind of Hot. :laugh2:

Agreed!

Donal likes this.
  13. Malikon

little Slash,..back when he was just a Paper Cut...

kdj4crzvo5mx.jpg

cooljuk, freebyrd 69 and Scooter2112 like this.
  14. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

And we all know what they are like, don't we?

15. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

I guess that depends on the "public" you sample. I'm 48 and started playing guitar at the age of 7. My biggest influence as far as guitar and wanting to emulate songs and tone was Skynyrd. Clapton was up there, but Zepplin and Hendrix were not artists I got into a whole lot. Appetite was released the summer I graduated from high school and started playing out live. G n' R, and the resurgence of "real" rock and roll was then and there for me.

Gibson's target audience is the 35-50 year olds for the big $ stuff, and younger for the lesser $. Page is a public recluse, Hendrix is long dead (and Fender anyway), and Clapton's main audience has aged beyond relevance in the guitar purchasing world, and again, is mainly associated with Fender.

Think about it. G n' R is selling out everywhere in spite of the high ticket prices. Why? Because the 35-50 year olds like me have the disposable income to go see them. People are taking their kids, and they are getting exposed to the music. Slash has been actively making music and touring for some time now.

A good portion of those who worship Clapton, Page and Hendrix are also worshiping good nursing home care at this point.

PermissionToLand, Who, MikeC and 2 others like this.
  16. DotStudio

DotStudio Senior Member

I'm 35 and really enjoyed Clapton at MSG this past year. I must be an old soul.

[​IMG]

thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.
  17. Malikon

giphy.gif tenor.gif

18. Bill Hicklin temp

Bill Hicklin temp Banned

The ultimate sad point to be made is that there are pretty much no "guitar gods," on any brand of instrument, newer than the Atlanta Olympics. Cobain is dead, and so is rock as a popular genre. It's headed to the old folks' home with jazz and swing.

19. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Various Ambassodors...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

The ageism in this thread is unacceptable.

Slash still has youthful looks, and still appeals to my 25-45 age demography. Yes, we still play guitars, and can afford GCS instruments.

Try playing his solos - you'll soon discover how sterile and mechanical your techniques are in juxtaposition with his fluid, emotive playing.