Slash named "GLOBAL AMBASSADOR" for Gibson

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by freebyrd 69, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

No there's lots of great guitarists out there throwing down on a Les Paul,..but no one gives a f**k unless they're old and had their heyday in the 70's or 80's. Because people don't give a sh*t about guitar or guitarists or music like they once did.

Matt_Heafy_live_2012.jpg
    billkelliher3.jpg
    09c4f8464916fd305980b795c2daac02.jpg
    jerry_cantrell_jerry_cantrell.jpg

Most people probably won't know any of these guys, but they're great players in great bands that have great songs. Popular bands too, 'Big' bands. (Matt Heafy does have a signature Epi,...and the other guitarist for Mastodon has a signature Epi 'V'. So Gibson knows about them but regulates them to Epiphone...even though they play Gibson. Coincidence? No,..Gibson doesn't like Metal players. Even though a ton of Metal guitarists use Gibsons,....Gibson ignores them.)

You know why people don't know them? Because they don't act like clowns, don't care about being a celebrity, and just make good music.

Seriously, the era of the "The Guitar Hero" is over,...no one gives a sh*t how good you are or how good your songs are. It's all just disposable background sounds while they play their Angry Birds and Candy Crush and take selfies at concerts....if they even go to a concert.

I said Hetfield because Metallica is one of the biggest bands of all time, and because he plays a Les Paul sometimes. But there are plenty of people out there playing Les Pauls.

But Slash is sort of a clown/cartoon character. Kids know him more because of the Guitar Hero video game than because of the AFD album. He was a Boss (battle) in a video game.

Gibson guitars are pretty popular with Metal guitarists but that's a demographic Gibson has consistently and constantly ignored. There's no way that's an accident,..Gibson doesn't want to be known as a guitar for Metal. Even though Les Pauls and particularly The Black Custom is a very popular guitar for Metal Guitarists.

Hell I want a Black Custom myself just because so many of my Metal Heros play or played one. There's obviously something great about that particular model for Metal because tons of people use them.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    northernguitarguy likes this.
  2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

That's because Fenders are ATTAINABLE. You can buy an American Strat for a grand, a fantastic Mexican Strat (with "Fender" on the headstock) for almost half that, or a surprisingly good Squier Classic Vibe for a couple hundred bucks. If Gibson wants new artists to use their guitars (AKA if they want to have a future) they should be dropping prices, not raising them. Henry's greed has led to him bleed the Boomer Bubble for all it's worth, but once it pops, Gibson will be in as much trouble as they were when he bought them.

Let's be clear, Slash never talked himself up as some guitar god. He's an incredibly humble guy in reality. He left GNR partially because of what a caricature they were becoming, and went back to playing small clubs for almost a decade after that.

I think Gibson relegates metal player signatures to Epiphone simply because it's a younger audience and they don't have the $3,000+ to drop on a real LP Custom. They occasionally do metal style guitars but they end up being flops for just that reason.

Bill Hicklin likes this.
  3. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

CNN has been doing the same for decades. :laugh2:

Byron999 and Tone deaf like this.
  4. Malikon

why are we being clear? Did someone say Slash called himself a guitar god? Not sure what your point there is.

I've only ever seen one person consider themselves a guitar god.

Their name rhymes with Yngwie Malmsteen.

...I'm kidding, ..it's Yngwie Malmsteen. Nothing fcking rhymes with Yngwie Malmsteen. :laugh2:

5. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Nah, THIS is a Guitar God:

[​IMG]

6. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

I wonder if Slash has been banging a lot of posters wives.

7. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

Also Matt Heafy plays his signature Epi now, that photo pre-dates his signature.

8. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

eyeroll 2.gif

9. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

Why would Gibson want to pigeonhole themselves together with ESP, Jackson, etc? Metal music is polarising, and crossovers are unlikely. I'm quite happy with Henry's direction - keep Gibson as a fun Rock n Roll lifestyle brand. Get it as far away from depressing metal music.

I grew up playing metal btw.

10. Malikon

Because Metal musicians probably use more of their product than anyone else? :laugh2:

Yeah why would they want that?

And half of the ESP guys are using Les Paul look-alikes, anyway. :laugh2: Including Metallica. Off the top of my head Gary Holt (Slayer/Exodus) and the guy in Lamb of God, both use ESP Look-Alike Les Pauls.

Why would Gibson want the people that use their product the most, and the people using a look alike product, to use Gibsons right? That'd just be crazy. :rolleyes:

It's not pigeonholing, it's expanding. The exact thing Henry wants to do. Yet keeps ignoring the one genre that's consistently using his product.

and ignoring them is exactly why Schecter and ESP/LTD were able to get a foothold in the guitar world and establish themselves to begin with. That would've never happened if Gibson hadn't constantly ignored Metal. Look at the bridge, body woods, body shapes, pickups, etc. that Schecter and ESP/LTD use,..all based heavily off of Gibson when not being direct rip-offs of Gibson designs. (like the LP shape, the Explorer shape, the ToM bridge, the controls, etc.)

If Gibson hadn't ignored Metal that never would've happened. Gibson could've worked with Metallica in the 80's when they predominantly used Gibson V's and Explorers and ESP/LTD never would've gotten a foothold.

Ignoring Metal both then and now, was and is just stupid.

(And AFD/Guns N Roses is just as foul, nasty, drug fueled, misogynistic and nasty as anything ever produced in Metal. Yet Gibson loves to associate with Slash and the first Guns record. I'd actually argue that record is much fouler and more offensive than anything Metallica ever produced. "Turn around b*tch I got a use for you, besides, you aint got nothing better to do, and I'm bored." ...is low class and foul. Most Metal bands would never sink that low. Because despite the cliche most Metal bands are too intelligent to write something that dumb. So the band Gibson loves to associate with is actually a lot fouler than most Metal.)

TL;DR

Metal is the bastard step-child of Music and Gibson was f**king stupid to ignore them.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  11. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

How about Kim Kardashian?

Henry, take a walk on the wild side.

:rofl: :rofl:

:cheers2:

Scooter2112 likes this.
  12. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

As much as I hate to say it, there just aren't many people into Metal. I've always thought it sucked for the most part, unless you throw Metallica in that category. Just a bunch of fast scales and sh!tty tone for the most part. Gibson probably doesn't want to be associated with that, even though they may have missed out on that market.

I feel the same way about Jazz. I always loved the joke "What's the difference between Rock and Jazz?", Rock is 3 chords in front of 1000 people, and Jazz is 1000 chords in front of 3 people. LOL.

Like you said Mal, I'm sure Metal players have some kind of genius in their playing as it relates to music, but I, like the masses couldn't care less about how musically amazing it is. My ears are more primitive and so is my understanding of music itself.

So many of the greats site Jeff Beck as an influence, and I think he sucks. While I understand he's not metal, it's the same thing...a bunch of noise that makes no sense to my ears. LOL

PermissionToLand likes this.
  13. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I need a nerve pill...

14. Bill Hicklin

FIFY

15. Bill Hicklin

Seriously, though: Gibson is chaining itself to a corpse. The Boomer generation is already moving to assisted-living communities and selling off their guitars, not buying them; and before much longer they'll be dead.

While Gibson can't do much about the popular taste turning to rap and other guitar-free genres, it should at least have the common sense to focus on those guitar genres which are still being listened to by young people at all- metal and (shitty pop) country.

PermissionToLand and ehb like this.
  16. freebyrd 69

You must just copy and paste this EVERY time you re-post it. LOL. There are still plenty of guitarists drawing younger crowds out there. I think YOU are just too old.

17. Bill Hicklin

^ Take another look at the market figures. Jazz and swing and classical draw "crowds" too-- but in the grand sceme of things they're just niche markets.

18. Malikon

easily 3/4's of my Students are into Metal and want to play Metal because they listen to Metal. There's a lot of people listening to and playing metal.

Just because someone doesn't get it and thinks it's all, "Shtty tone and fast scales" doesn't mean there aren't a ton of people into Metal.

Not to mention in other countries like Brazil, South America in general, and the other side of the world, Metal is extremely popular.

Just because you think it sucks makes that your opinion and not a fact. Metal is huge and has been for a long time.

..hell,..Metal's paid my bills for most of my life.

America loves to push Hip-Hop and Pop,..but Metal is still very much alive.

If Gibson "doesn't want to be associated" with a large demographic that uses their instruments, than Gibson are idiots. Or have the same ill informed bias that you do.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Bill Hicklin likes this.
  19. freebyrd 69

An opinion for sure Mal, nothing more, I realize that. That holds true for both the music and Gibson's lack of participation. It definitely beats the new "music", that's for sure.