Slash chords examples in songs?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by To Need a Woman, Sep 9, 2015.

1. To Need a Woman

To Need a Woman Senior Member

I spotted it. It definitely reminded me of Stairway.

BTW a Am/F is the same as Fmaj7. I think you meant to a say "Fmaj7/A" which is what it is.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

What makes it Am/F to my ears is that the chord immediately preceding it is in fact an Amin, so my ears hear it as a moving bassline rather than a separate chord. The lowest note is F, not A, and that makes it a slash-chord.

I meant to say exactly what I said.

frankv likes this.
  3. To Need a Woman

Thanks
    That the chord I was referring to, the Am before it - which I thought was a Fmaj7/A. That's why it reminded me of the Fmaj7 in the 'Stairway to Heaven' intro. Must listen to it again.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  4. To Need a Woman

5. To Need a Woman

A lovely example here at the 1:50 mark

A - bv/3 - Bm

6. To Need a Woman

A very interesting [G-B/5-E] done here between 6:28-6:33, when changing key of song to E maj!

7. To Need a Woman

A nice A/G (A/7th) here at the 40 sec mark:

8. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Jon, thank you so much for writing this as you saved me from doing it.

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  9. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Jon, I was watching a DVD by Joe Bonamassa... a not too shabby a player, right... He couldn't tell the viewer what a certain note was on the fretboard. He actually says "I don't know" That doesn't seem to stop him from kicking butt to most blues players around.

Here's the video for reference

First comes the ear so the technical guys can tell you what you did..

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 1:55 PM
    freebyrd 69 likes this.
  10. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

Absolutely.

11. To Need a Woman

Slash chords aren't usually done on guitars, but's it's a style I intend to learn. You, obviously not. Your attitude is fine for lead guitar, if you've a good natural ability.

But as regards becoming an all rounded competent musician, there will always be certain styles you can't play. I'm not saying you should go away and learn to read music or anything. But if you want to be able to properly express all emotions you feel with your guitar, you should be more open minded.

For example this Joe Bonamassa guy would not be able to play certain parts of this song:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 10:41 PM
    Thumpalumpacus and frankv like this.
  12. JonR

JonR Senior Member

A time reference would be good, to save me watching a nearly two-hour video to find it... ;)
    Well, first comes the technical training, the hours of practice. Your ear gets trained at the same time.

I agree that very little theoretical knowledge is needed, in the sense of knowing the jargon. Every rock guitarist knows some theory jargon (chord names at least, maybe a few note names), but ear and technique rule. You need just enough theory to be able to communicate with fellow musicians, and no more. (E.g., saying "play a G7" is more efficient than saying "put your fingers here and here...")

At the same time, it's a mistake to assume that because a player can't tell you what he just did, he doesn't actually know. The knowledge has become subconscious through years of practice - they don't have to think consciously about it. There's a B B King lesson on youtube where he talks about the "I", "IV" and "V" chords, and demonstrates how he resolves phrases to chord tones. So he obviously knows what he is doing and knows (just) enough jargon to describe it. But ask him to play the same phrase again? Nope, because that's not what he's about. He's not a teacher.

Players like this are speaking a language fluently. When we speak (or even write!) English, we're not thinking about which words are verbs or nouns, or struggling to put the words in the right order. (Just occasionally we might struggle to find the exact right word, or a correct spelling, but hell we know what we want to say and how to say it.)

But that doesn't mean that, in order to understand the language better, it's a waste of time learning about grammar. Music theory is the grammar of the language of music - no more no less. We learn our mother tongue wholly by ear (as infants), but when we learn another language as adults, some assistance from grammar (books) is useful. Music (luckily) is a much easier aural language than any other verbal one, but some theoretical help is always handy to help organise the information.

(Sorry to have interrupted the OP's thread with yet another OT rant.... :))

frankv likes this.
  13. frankv

Hi Jon, I agree with everything you wrote and i want to say that I am not the type that Poo Poos theory. I do want to know the reasons for playing certain notes and chords. I see see an "automatic pilot" mindset happening in my own playing. My post was mostly a response to the OPs statement that Hendrix wasn't really any good seemingly not knowing theory.. He may not have known theory but he sure had a great ear.